Movie Discussion - What movies did you just see?

Page 41 of 42 Previous  1 ... 22 ... 40, 41, 42  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Movie Discussion - What movies did you just see?

Post by Arkanay on Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:04 am

Fright Night. (the 2011 version)

It was surprisingly good. Was also quite funny. It reminded me of Disturbia, although I prefered this one. The computer animated blood was slightly annoying but other than that it was a pretty decent funny/horror/action movie.
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male
Spore Name : Arkanay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dynasty2011 on Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:57 am

Attack the Block was good,it is about this gang who mug this woman then an alien comes and the gang kill it but more come and their 3 times as big and their out 4 blood the gang and the woman have to team up

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakiara on Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:19 pm

Arkanay wrote:Fright Night. (the 2011 version)

It was surprisingly good. Was also quite funny. It reminded me of Disturbia, although I prefered this one. The computer animated blood was slightly annoying but other than that it was a pretty decent funny/horror/action movie.
Really?!! The preview looks horrid. I might download it, won't see it in theatre though.

The last movie I saw was Contagion. It wasn't all that exciting. It dwindled on towards the end, but it was ok.

Apollo 18 was one of the worst movies I've seen in a long time. It was a little different way of making a movie, but that's the only thing good about it imo.

Amazing sigs made by G3NJI and World_Piece Very Happy
Sakiara
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Female
Spore Name : Sakiara

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MjrGlory on Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:20 pm

Dynasty2011 wrote:Attack the Block was good,it is about this gang who mug this woman then an alien comes and the gang kill it but more come and their 3 times as big and their out 4 blood the gang and the woman have to team up
Saw this one last week as well. Very enjoyable movie indeed. I like how they made those black furry and luminous aliens.
MjrGlory
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : MjrGlory

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay on Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:48 pm

Sakiara wrote:
Really?!! The preview looks horrid. I might download it, won't see it in theatre though.

It's more of a light horror movie with some comedy and action in it. I thought the preview was okay but kept my expectations low. I ended up being pleasantly surprised. Smile

Sakiara wrote:
Apollo 18 was one of the worst movies I've seen in a long time. It was a little different way of making a movie, but that's the only thing good about it imo.

Oh, really? I've been looking forward to see that movie because the story concept seemed quite interesting. :/
I do have a concern, however, that it'll be one of those annoying movies without start, middle and end where everybody dies, nothing is acomplished and you exit wondering why was that ever made.

Might have a go at watching that online soon.
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington on Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:24 am

After a long test yesterday, went over to a friends and watched Shaun of the Dead.

To be honest first time I saw it, I didn't like it all that much and that was only a year ago, but I found it funnier this time around. Maybe watching it with others made it funnier.

Thanks gen for the awesome sig
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : Reyes1

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/L0rdRemington?feature=mhw5

Back to top Go down

Post by TyrannoFan on Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:21 am

Night at the Museum 2.

I liked it, although the first was definitely better. And funnier. Films tend to go that way for some reason, you'd think that after they make the first film they'd do better; learning from their mistakes and whatnot.

Next, I'm going to watch 'It' (the film of Stephen King's horror novel 'It') with my friend.
TyrannoFan
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Male
Spore Name : Creaturepre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington on Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:12 am

TyrannoFan wrote:Night at the Museum 2.

I liked it, although the first was definitely better. And funnier. Films tend to go that way for some reason, you'd think that after they make the first film they'd do better; learning from their mistakes and whatnot.

Next, I'm going to watch 'It' (the film of Stephen King's horror novel 'It') with my friend.

Thats normally because the writers try and capture the exact same magic of the first one, but its impossible. They try and write similar gags and make it seem the same, but once its been done once you can't reproduce that original "something" that made the original great.

There aren't many movies that can. The only movies that have ever done that successfully were ones where the story was meant to continue onto successive movies e.g lord of the rings, stars wars, but ones that end with that "and they lived happily ever after" and then make a sequel almost never work as well.

I watched Caddy Shack last night. Its supposed to be a cult classic comedy, but frankly I didn't find it all that funny. But to be fair the movie is showing its age, but then again Flying high (airplane) is just about as old and yet I find it hilarious.

Dunno, just didn't find it all that funny.

LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor on Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:34 am

There are sequels and there are sequels. If a film has had some moderate success, they will try and make a sequel following the same formula, which almsot always doesn't end well. However, if they find a way to continue rather than repeat the story it can work.

LOTR is a bad example because it's based on a written serial story whereas Star Wars works because the second film follows the first with a unique storyline. Scream is a good example of telling you how sequels work as it's a parody thereof in itself - some characters make constant references to the formula.

One of my most favorite sequels is Addams Values. It had its own storyline and due to already establishing the Addams family in the first film, they could push the envelope into the more macabre. Another favorite is Shrek 2 (the best of the four), which establishes the ups and downs of "happily ever after" with a whole new group of interesting characters in a new environment.

Spoiler:
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington on Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:54 pm

Had a hankering to Bowling for Columbine today after it being about 4 years since i last saw it.

Oddly, I didn't like it as much this time around. Wasn't bad, but it didn't have the same impact it used to for me. It might be because I've seen it already, but normally i can watch a movie a million times it it will still be as moving/funny/scary/thought provoking as the first time I watch it.

LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington on Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:34 pm

Just went to the cinemas to watch Paranormal activity # with some friends.

I haven't really seen the first two, but I assumed it would be only "meh" as i thought the paranormal activity movies sounded fair generic, but surprisingly it was quite good.

I'll admit I jumped more than a few times watching it.

LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MjrGlory on Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:39 am

Just watched hangover 2 and I'm still lmao ^^
Even more messed up than the first one..
MjrGlory
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : MjrGlory

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington on Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:07 pm

Watched Harold and Kumar go to white castle. Remember watching it when I was younger and finding it hilarious. Didn't find it all that funny second time around scratch

LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:18 pm

Went to the movies with some friends and watched Sherlock Holmes: A game of Shadows.

It was very good. I was actually somewhat surprised. 90% of sequels I see are lesser than the original movie, but the second sherlock holmes movie was at least on par with the first, if not slightly more entertaining.

Last edited by LordRemington on Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bmpalmann on Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:31 am

I have to agree about Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, i actually found myself preferring it to the first film Smile The characters felt a bit more defined and the relationships much stronger.

I ended up seeing War Horse the other day, and found that it didn't match up to the hype around it, the big problem was that the scenes set in the war were brilliantly done, however the scenes at the beginning and the end were weak and the main character (not the horse) was too soppy for his own good, having not established a great enough bond with the horse. It's worth seeing but do not expect much from scenes that aren't set in the first world war.

Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : bmpalmann/ Remyxomatosis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix on Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:27 pm

Ben, I am not much of a "War Film" fan, so tend to avoid them. Obviously (well not really) I saw Saving private Ryan at the cinema, but I tend to avoid War Films (despite liking War Video Games). Most of them, to my mind, are just the same, the only difference tends to be tactics, weaponry and war involved - they tend to be populated by the same bunch of stereotypical characters.

I did however also see Defiance at the cinema, but the choices of the other films gave my Uncle and I no choice (besides, my Uncle really wanted to see it).

I also find that most films that get big hype are generally poor in parts (in some cases they are downright appalling and IMHO would improve culture if they were unmade).

Anyway, on a positive note, finally seen Cars 2, Transformers 3 and TRON: Legacy. Cars is amazing and the London Set is just cool. Transformers I was sort of avoiding because they replaced Megan Fox, mainly because I was nervous that they'd replaced the actress, but not the character. I loved the action sequence in Chicago at the the end, and am glad they got a new character. TRON was a huge let down, it was hackneyed and in my opinion diminishes the first film because of the new technology used for CGI. The first film was ground breaking in technology, style and story-line, the sequel added zilch.

An amazing sig by the great MarkyDMan.
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male
Spore Name : Vektrix / SporeMasterVek

View user profile http://www.eurospore.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor on Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:28 am

In contrary of what is said about Cars 2, I found it to be one of the best animated films of this decade. It's basically the ultimate spy car movie... get it?

I can't talk about the other films, I avoid the Transformers franchise like the pest (Up yours, Mister Bay!) and I haven't even seen the first Tron movie... eh.

-----------------------------------

I just saw The Help, which is about a young white journalist writing her first book about the lives of black maids in a conservative southern Town. I won't say more about it, you have to watch it. It's that good.

Spoiler:
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sjhorm on Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:49 pm

Oh, we watched The Help. It was extremely good, I'd recommend it to anyone.
We watched it several months ago and my mum is still quoting it.
sjhorm
EuroSpore 1975
EuroSpore 1975

Male
Spore Name : sjhorm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TyrannoFan on Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:32 am

Bruce Almighty. At school. Funny, and really nonsensical. I never understood why God went on holiday. It makes no sense.
TyrannoFan
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Male
Spore Name : Creaturepre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mathaeth on Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:34 pm

Whatever estimated prison multiplies next to a warehouse. A verbose console abides before the substitute. The smooth sheep transmits latest news breaking news against any raving purge. The tour distresses latest news breaking news throughout the suffix. Across the dead crashes a companion. A cleared holy banks the academic in her nine opposite.

mathaeth
Exiled

Male

View user profile http://www.onsrilanka.info

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix on Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:32 pm

Bruce Almighty is amazing, God went on holiday because there is only one God, besides, after billions of years with just one day off (the 7th day of Earth's history), wouldn't you want a holiday? Laughing

Zombieland: Generally find Zombie boring, but this one was very funjny and had some cool zombie kills in it. Two strong female lead characters is also a rarity in this style film.

Blade Runner (finally): Not blown away by it, but can now see where many sci-fi films made after it get their inspiration from. Was typical Ridley Scott in that there was little dialogue and lots of scenes that quite frankly could have been shorter or completely cut out. Never seemed to really start, or end, for me, either.

An amazing sig by the great MarkyDMan.
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male
Spore Name : Vektrix / SporeMasterVek

View user profile http://www.eurospore.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay on Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:59 am

Vektrix wrote:Bruce Almighty is amazing, God went on holiday because there is only one God, besides, after billions of years with just one day off (the 7th day of Earth's history), wouldn't you want a holiday? Laughing

I saw that movie in the cinema with my dad a long time ago. I had a very good time and found it to be quite funny. Jim Carrey is a great entertainer, in my opinion.

Vektrix wrote:Blade Runner (finally): Not blown away by it, but can now see where many sci-fi films made after it get their inspiration from. Was typical Ridley Scott in that there was little dialogue and lots of scenes that quite frankly could have been shorter or completely cut out. Never seemed to really start, or end, for me, either.

I agree that Blade Runner isn't really very mind blowing but, like you stated, I believe it worked as an outstanding platform for other movies of similar genres to take off from. The scenes with the "tests" are pretty interesting, though.

---

Since I'm on a University break, I've had the chance to watch several movies recently.
One of them was Forbidden Planet from 1956. I liked it a lot. The story was very interesting and had a good level of depth. The visual effects were also bearable, taking the time it was created into consideration. I also had a good time trying to imagine people from that decade watching this movie. They must have been quite hyped! The main downside for me was the lack of acting when they were shooting their laser weapons. They just stood there, almost looked like a picture, while lasers came out. However, that did not spoil the movie for me at all. The robot was amusing too. I rated it a 7/10 in IMDB.

Another movie was the most recent Underworld, Underworld: Awakening. I'm usually not a big fan of action movies where the lead is a female, mostly because it just reeks of over-the-top sexuality and that honestly can get on my nerves quite easily. When I go watch a movie, I'm after story, action, performance, music, etc. and not really sexuality. There are appropriate times and places for that. Razz
However, there are a few movies series of this type I actually enjoy (Resident Evil, for instance) and Underworld is one of that kind. Perhaps it's the whole super natural/monster/horror that holds my interest. Nevertheless, I thought it was good. The story was interesting (nothing too epic, but still decent), effects were cool and the action was nice as well. Also rated it 7/10 in IMDB.

Cowboys and Aliens was also one of the movies I watched. Daniel Craig usual performs in the type of stuff I like and I think he's a decent actor for action, so I thought it'd be a good movie. I was content with it. It was a pretty cool mix that could have been extremely horrible but it actually fitted quite well, in my opinion. Almost has a Fallout feeling to it, which is pretty cool. It was around 2 hours, but since I like longer movies when I enjoy them, that wasn't a problem at all. Scored it 8/10 in IMDB.
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington on Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:23 pm

After seeing 5 billion ad for it on the internet, me and a few friends went to see "chronicle" at the movies.

Just looking at the trailer it was blatantly obvious how mediocre the movie would be and after seeing it, my thoughts were confirmed.

Weak story, bad acting, lame ending. All I can say to anyone who has seen the trailer and is considering going to see it is, if you've watched the trailer, you've basically seen the most important parts of the movie, so save your money.

LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor on Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:42 pm

I've never understood the appeal of films using the hand-held camera / found footage style. It reminds me of bad MTV music videos where even the film crew was on drugs and by the time the video was over I would have to reach for the Dramamine.

-------------------------

Recently, I read about Michael Bay confirming Transformers 4... Brick Wall

What just bothers me about this movie series is the way they translated it into the modern world. Every film has to have a global impact now and whatever crazy sci-fi/fantasy story you come up with, it has to have a "realistic" impact on the real world.

Back in the old movie days, this was hardly the case or it was done in a more isolated matter where the general public didn't know about it - think Big Trouble in Little China. Even modern-day shows like Charmed made it an importance that the three sisters kept their powers a secret, unlike Doctor Who were little by little the general population of earth was made aware of the existence of aliens. However, within that universe they managed to either erase the memories thereof or otherwise made earth go on its ordinary, oblivious way.

Maybe I'm just a bit nostalgic or naive but I wish we could go back to the more innocent and isolated movie era where the story of certain films happened inside the "bubble of general ignorance", stories the world will never know about.

Spoiler:
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay on Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:37 am

Andeavor wrote:I've never understood the appeal of films using the hand-held camera / found footage style. It reminds me of bad MTV music videos where even the film crew was on drugs and by the time the video was over I would have to reach for the Dramamine.

I'm usually not a fan of these movies either (because most times the ending is too incomplete for my taste), but there are a few I like.

Apollo 18 was actually able to hold my interest. While it is hand-held filmed and seen through security cameras, I enjoyed it. I think the acting is good and it is capable of passing on increasing tension to viewers.

The Last Exorcism is also filmed in a similar fashion but I think the story developed quite nicely (though the end was not as good as the rest of the movie). It shows a different view to exorcists during the beginning and then shifts towards a "regular" exorcism movie.
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 41 of 42 Previous  1 ... 22 ... 40, 41, 42  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top