EuroSpore
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stereotypes, slang, and colloquialisms in different countries.

+24
Zellex
TyrannoFan
bmpalmann
stgermaine
Mr. Dr. Prof. Walrus
Dormin
jellyman12
Illusionary
Hutch
Lumorei
Arkanay
Iridescence
Shardna
Andeavor
Kevin92
supertwichy
sjhorm
SuperLoki
Aletrius
Trick
Icedmask
Vektrix
LordRemington
Sakiara
28 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Stereotypes, slang, and colloquialisms in different countries. - Page 2 Empty Re: Stereotypes, slang, and colloquialisms in different countries.

Post by LordRemington Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:40 pm

Maybe in the OP, you should list all the stereotypes that people have submitted and say confirmed or busted depending on the feedback of others
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : Reyes1

https://www.youtube.com/user/L0rdRemington?feature=mhw5

Back to top Go down

Stereotypes, slang, and colloquialisms in different countries. - Page 2 Empty Re: Stereotypes, slang, and colloquialisms in different countries.

Post by Andeavor Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:50 pm

Vek could make a spreadsheet. :vek:
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakiara Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:52 pm

But for some people they might apply to their country, but not to their area in particular. Like there are polar bears and igloos in Canada, but not anywhere near where I live. They are in the territories of Canada. Plus there's a lot of information.

EDIT: Lol Andy. No, that's ok. Vek probably has a lot on his plate, it doesn't need to be put in a spreadsheet.
Sakiara
Sakiara
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Female
Spore Name : Sakiara

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:26 am

A spreadsheet? Shocked

Jamaicans good at football? Have you seen their national team? Jamaicans are fast, not necessarily good at football (Ok my fave player was eligible for Jamaica, but most are fairly poor).

Ethiopia
- Long distance runners

Jamaica
- Fas Runners

Kenya
- Long distance runners
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male
Spore Name : Vektrix / SporeMasterVek

http://www.eurospore.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Aletrius Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:29 am

My favourite one is the Jamaican Bobsleigh team...
Aletrius
Aletrius
EuroSpore 1992
EuroSpore 1992

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:54 am

Vektrix wrote:
Jamaicans good at football? Have you seen their national team? Jamaicans are fast, not necessarily good at football (Ok my fave player was eligible for Jamaica, but most are fairly poor).

And under influence of the right products they can also fly. :b
Arkanay
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male
Spore Name : Arkanay

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:54 am

Thomas1134 wrote:My favourite one is the Jamaican Bobsleigh team...
Derice: You don't see the Swiss team fightin', do you? You don't see the Swiss team drinkin' and carryin' on and such.

Sanka: And you don't see the Swiss team smilin' neither. In fact, if one of those Swiss boys ever come across a pretty girl, he probably yell, "eins, zwei, drei" and try to push her down some ice.
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:45 am

Canadians:
- Love hockey
- Super Friendly (Ned Flanders Style)

Australians:
- Swear all the time (true)
- Mullets,football,beer and holdens (sadly also for the most part true
- Ride kangaroos around (Sadly NOT true)
- Love Vegemite despite the rest of the world hating it

Chinese:
- Great at maths
- Work all the time
- Can all cook really well
- All are very well mannered

Japanese:
- all are ninjas
- All are obsessed with anime
- All are obsessed with weird shows that everyone else finds creepy and disturbing

Russians:
- Heavy drinkers
- all are able to do the Russian dance
- love soviet Russia jokes

Portugal:
- breeds arks
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:49 am

LordRemington wrote:
Portugal:
- breeds arks

Stereotypes, slang, and colloquialisms in different countries. - Page 2 I-learned-from-noahs-ark

Those arks? Razz
Arkanay
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male
Spore Name : Arkanay

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumorei Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:55 am

LordRemington wrote:Canadians:
- Super Friendly (Ned Flanders Style)

Sorry, but about %76 of us Canadians don't go to church. [sarcasm] And who could blame them? We spend too much time watching hockey, hunting for moose/beavers, drinking strong beer and eating maple covered pancakes. [/sarcasm]

none
Lumorei
Lumorei
Exiled

Female
Spore Name : Lumorei / Unpronouncable

http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/Lumorei

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:19 am

@Ark, exactly awesome

@lum, No I didn't mean in a religious sense, I meant, in the way that Ned is ridiculously friendly
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Hutch Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:04 am

(Urban) Americans:
Smoke or do every drug they can get there hands on (For 65% of the urban population here, it's true.)
All own high-power Pistols (We have some laws with getting your hands on guns, and even then. It's not completely true)
Say "Dog" all the time (In my case, no. For other people. Almost always)
Always have Cheeseburgers stuffed in our mouths (Oh so very true)
Think that all foreigners are communists and want to suppress our way of life (Well... It WAS true, not to sure about it now though...)
Treat glen beck as if he is a god (Sadly this is true, and why I really want to leave this country)
Only use cars to get around, walking and using public transit is for poor people like me (Not true, in most cases. Driving in cities sucks)
Obsessed with weapons (True)
Think that fox news is the only way of getting legitimate information (Sadly, also true.)
Can not live without technology (So true, it's not even funny)

These are all the stereotypical "City folk" American traits I know of. But I'm pretty sure I'm leaving out a hundred more.

Last edited by Thestarwarsgeek on Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Hutch
EuroSpore 1948
EuroSpore 1948

Male
Spore Name : Thestarwarsgeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Illusionary Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:07 am

There's the ones that Starwarsgeek mentioned along with...

Always road rage
Always traffic on every road
Can not live without technology (TRUE)
Everybody owns a cell phone
Everybody owns a convertible

There's a bunch more that I can't name off the top of my head, mostly because I live equal distances away from Hollywood and Los Angelas.
Illusionary
Illusionary
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Male
Spore Name : ghostofillusion

Back to top Go down

Post by jellyman12 Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:04 am

Southern Americans

-we watch NASCAR everyday
-we are all fat
-we all say "y'all" and "crick"
jellyman12
jellyman12
EuroSpore 1948
EuroSpore 1948

Male
Spore Name : jellyman12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakiara Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:42 am

LordRemington wrote:Canadians:
- Love hockey Pretty much true
- Super Friendly (Ned Flanders Style) Pretty true, we say sorry for other people running into us. There are exceptions though.

lol Ark, yup I think he meant those kinds of Arks Razz

Unpronouncable wrote:Sorry, but about %76 of us Canadians don't go to church. [sarcasm] And who could blame them? We spend too much time watching hockey, hunting for moose/beavers, drinking strong beer and eating maple covered pancakes. [/sarcasm] none
Here, there's a lot that go to Church. We don't hunt beavers either, they are our national animal.
Sakiara
Sakiara
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dormin Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:58 am

Herrmmm......

Minnesotans are said to have an accent.... but I don't notice it.

Dormin
Dormin
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : Possum95

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Dr. Prof. Walrus Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:05 am

They do? Dont'cha know?
What is a Budgie? Apparently it's Australian for a type of bird.
Stereotypical Desert :A place with a lot of sand and cacti.
Actual Desert: A landscape or region that receives an extremely low amount of precipitation, less than enough to support growth of most plants.
Antarctica IS a desert

Last edited by Storm on Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Dr. Prof. Walrus
Mr. Dr. Prof. Walrus
EuroSpore 1948
EuroSpore 1948

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakiara Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:07 am

A budgie is in Canada too. Pretty sure the US as well.

Stereotypes, slang, and colloquialisms in different countries. - Page 2 BudgieWBPk_C072
Sakiara
Sakiara
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Illusionary Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:08 am

Storm wrote:What is a Budgie? Apparently it's Australian for a type of bird
In America, we call them parakeets.

I believe "budgie" is short for budgerigar.

http://www.thelensflare.com/large/bird_2171.jpg

Aren't they the cutest little things? ILoveItPlz
Illusionary
Illusionary
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Male
Spore Name : ghostofillusion

Back to top Go down

Post by stgermaine Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:49 am

lol this is a great thread. . .

(i live in america btw)

my hockey coach (who spent his childhood in canada) was tellin us how one time, he was on a plane going back to canada after a trip to the US. He said that the lady next to him asked, "Are there cars in Canada?" and he says sarcastically, "Nope! we drive around in sleds and we club baby seals to eat for dinner."
stgermaine
stgermaine
Regular
Regular

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Dr. Prof. Walrus Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:51 am

OMG that's awesome.
Mr. Dr. Prof. Walrus
Mr. Dr. Prof. Walrus
EuroSpore 1948
EuroSpore 1948

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakiara Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:57 am

stgermaine wrote:lol this is a great thread. . .

(i live in america btw)

my hockey coach (who spent his childhood in canada) was tellin us how one time, he was on a plane going back to canada after a trip to the US. He said that the lady next to him asked, "Are there cars in Canada?" and he says sarcastically, "Nope! we drive around in sleds and we club baby seals to eat for dinner."
Haha, well that is true for up north. I've said that to people before though. On that note I should go find some food and cook it in my igloo.
Sakiara
Sakiara
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:03 pm

Lancastrians
- No, we do not say "t" all the time (as in t'internet, that's Yorkshire).
- Yes, we do hate Yorkshire.
- No, we do not sound surprised all the time.
- No, we do not complain about people who complain about the cold.

Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male
Spore Name : Vektrix / SporeMasterVek

http://www.eurospore.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by sjhorm Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:48 pm

I had a scary brush with the American education system this morning. I was riding my bus to school, and I overhear this girl in a seat behind me saying, "Babies are born without spines"

It turns out that she had not been listening in class that well, because babies are born without KNEECAPS, not SPINES. How you even reason in your mind that a baby could be born without a spine just astounds me.
sjhorm
sjhorm
EuroSpore 1975
EuroSpore 1975

Male
Spore Name : sjhorm

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Dr. Prof. Walrus Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:08 pm

LOL.
Mr. Dr. Prof. Walrus
Mr. Dr. Prof. Walrus
EuroSpore 1948
EuroSpore 1948

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum