EuroSpore
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stereotypes, slang, and colloquialisms in different countries.

+24
Zellex
TyrannoFan
bmpalmann
stgermaine
Mr. Dr. Prof. Walrus
Dormin
jellyman12
Illusionary
Hutch
Lumorei
Arkanay
Iridescence
Shardna
Andeavor
Kevin92
supertwichy
sjhorm
SuperLoki
Aletrius
Trick
Icedmask
Vektrix
LordRemington
Sakiara
28 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Stereotypes, slang, and colloquialisms in different countries. - Page 4 Empty Re: Stereotypes, slang, and colloquialisms in different countries.

Post by Kevin92 Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:41 am

Singularity wrote:Apparently, chock-a-block derives from old nautical English, meaning something along the lines of 'choke-full' combined with the 'block' used in a pulley system.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/chock-a-block.htm

So in retrospect, this must be one of the few old English words that became an everyday word in old German, the basis of Swiss German.

i'm german and i never heard that Shocked
Kevin92
Kevin92
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Male
Spore Name : Kevin92

http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/Kevin92

Back to top Go down

Stereotypes, slang, and colloquialisms in different countries. - Page 4 Empty Re: Stereotypes, slang, and colloquialisms in different countries.

Post by Aletrius Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:56 am

bmpalmann wrote:We've got "Not the sharpest tool in the box", "Not a smart cookie" and i think there's also one about brick walls when referring to intelligence.

'Not a smart cookie' is an Americanism. Wink

Although perhaps the most true comment about stupidity is 'Empty barrels make the most noise'. Along with 'Simple minds are amused by simple things.'
Aletrius
Aletrius
EuroSpore 1992
EuroSpore 1992

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Blaze Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:58 am

@Ben: It's if you can't hit something people say "You couldn't even hit a brick wall"
Blaze
Blaze
Delegate
Delegate

Male
Spore Name : Blazeer

http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/Blazeer

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkyDMan Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:03 am

America: "He's one fry short of a happy meal"
MarkyDMan
MarkyDMan
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : MarkyDMan......obviously :D
Location : Surfing the web... Awesome Points: 99,453,475,463,208,543 Mood: Inspired

Back to top Go down

Post by bmpalmann Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:04 am

Blaze wrote:@Ben: It's if you can't hit something people say "You couldn't even hit a brick wall"

Nope it's not that i've never actually heard of that one before. I've remembered the one if referred to earlier now Wink
It's "Thicker than a brick wall"

@Thom: Quite possibly.
bmpalmann
bmpalmann
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : bmpalmann/ Remyxomatosis

Back to top Go down

Post by Damnagoras Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:05 am

Sakiara wrote:
LordRemington wrote:Canadians:
- Super Friendly (Ned Flanders Style) Pretty true, we say sorry for other people running into us. There are exceptions though.

I'll bet you greet each other like this: "Well, how-didly-ho neighborino!" Wink
Damnagoras
Damnagoras
EuroSpore 1948
EuroSpore 1948

Male
Spore Name : Damnagoras

Back to top Go down

Post by sjhorm Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:04 pm

I have the impression that all Canadians are like Bob and Doug McKenzie. For those that don't know...

Eh, take off you hoser.
sjhorm
sjhorm
EuroSpore 1975
EuroSpore 1975

Male
Spore Name : sjhorm

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:20 pm

My impression of Canadians is they often talk without breath or punctuation.

One time I was vacationing with some friends at Club Med in Guadeloupe and the youth activities organizer at the time was, you guessed it, Canadian. The first night he introduced himself to us and after he left we looked at each other asking what the hell he just said. Unsure
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:43 pm

Blaze wrote:@Ben: It's if you can't hit something people say "You couldn't even hit a brick wall"

How about these two then?

"He couldn't hit a barn door with a Banjo!"
"He couldn't hit a cow's backside with a barn door!"

Presumably because he missed the barn door with the banjo Razz

Some dumb ones I know

"Thick as two short planks!"
"A sandwich short of a picnic."
"Like talking to a brick wall."
"Somewhere there is a Village missing an idiot."
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male
Spore Name : Vektrix / SporeMasterVek

http://www.eurospore.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:11 pm

There are alot more australian colloquialisms and slang I could share. However most are not appropriate for the forum Hard Work
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : Reyes1

https://www.youtube.com/user/L0rdRemington?feature=mhw5

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakiara Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:46 pm

sjhorm wrote:I have the impression that all Canadians are like Bob and Doug McKenzie. For those that don't know...
Lol, no. Those two are more redneck-y. They are pretty funny though.

Singularity wrote:My impression of Canadians is they often talk without breath or punctuation.
Nope, not true at all. I only know a couple of people like that. But that's due to their personality and not that they are Canadian.
Sakiara
Sakiara
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Female
Spore Name : Sakiara

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:09 pm

Aussie colloquialism

Silly Duffa- means your being silly..... but duffa like?
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by geekus_sapiens Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:23 pm

Ah-MER-ica:

-Everyone pronounces America like above: true
-Everyone down south says y'all: untrue- I actually don't know too many who do
-Everyone is morbidly obese- more than elsewhere, I'd say, but mostly untrue
-Everyone is an idiot- I know a number of really smart people because I take all the classes they take. Then I go out in public and realize that I conduct everyday business with the smartest .001% of the population.
-All the smart people are Asians, love Asians and specifically Japan to the point of obsession, have no life, or are a combination of the above- extremely true

I'll come up with some more stereotypes for other people, later.
geekus_sapiens
geekus_sapiens

Male
Spore Name : geekmonkey42
Location : The remote, volcanic island of Vanuatu, the land of irrepressible bad jokes and puns

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:23 pm

These are all ones I have heard atleast once

"Throw a skit"- to get very angry

"Squizz" - To look e.g "take a squizz at this"

"Bungie Smugglers"- a sort of swimming thong for men

"Chuck a yewy"- To do a U-turn

"She'll be apples"- She'll be okay

"Bludger" - Lazy person

"bottle-o" - liquor store

"Crack onto (someone)" - Hitting on someone

"Daks" - pants

"hooly dooley" - WOW
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:44 pm

Righto I was watching Oprah (yes on occasion I watch Oprah) and another thing that people from other countries a lot of times seem to get wrong came up, but particularly in america.

When people say "hey an Aussie", a lot of time they will pronounce "aussie" like this "aw-see" when you are supposed to pronounce it like this "ozzy".

I heard that a lot when I've met people from overseas. To be clear, not pronounced "aw-see" its pronounced "ozzy".

Not sure if this is a colloquialism or stereotype, but I felt like sharing
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:59 pm

See, this is where I sometimes get confused because "aussie" sounds very much like "Ossi", which is what you call a member of former East Germany (they speak funny, too) and word-wise it's too close to Austria as well. =/
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum