EuroSpore
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paranormal Week - >>The Jersey Devil<<

+18
Vektrix
Shardna
Hutch
Dino589
sjhorm
Mr. Dr. Prof. Walrus
jellyman12
Illusionary
Andeavor
Pikachu
LordRemington
Shadow
bmpalmann
MarkyDMan
Dormin
SuperLoki
Trick
Arkanay
22 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Paranormal Week - >>The Jersey Devil<< - Page 3 Empty Re: Paranormal Week - >>The Jersey Devil<<

Post by Arkanay Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:30 pm

Area 51

From wiki:

Area 51 is a military base, and a remote detachment of Edwards Air Force Base. It is located in the southern portion of Nevada in the western United States, 83 miles (133 km) north-northwest of downtown Las Vegas. Situated at its center, on the southern shore of Groom Lake, is a large secretive military airfield. The base's primary purpose is to support development and testing of experimental aircraft and weapons systems.
The intense secrecy surrounding the base, the very existence of which the U.S. government barely acknowledges, has made it the frequent subject of conspiracy theories and a central component to unidentified flying object (UFO) folklore.

What do you guys think? Is it merely a location where "secret" tech is tested or are they playing Monopoly with Greys?
When I was young, there was a phase I wanted to work at Area 51. I thought it would be something quite cool. Razz
Arkanay
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male
Spore Name : Arkanay

Back to top Go down

Paranormal Week - >>The Jersey Devil<< - Page 3 Empty Re: Paranormal Week - >>The Jersey Devil<<

Post by LordRemington Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:08 am

Well there is no doubt that area 51 has been used for top secret projects. Proof being the stealth bomber which they had worked on in secret there for a long time.

However do I believe they did alien experiments there? No. Biggest problem (other than the fact I don't believe aliens have visited earth) is that if the government were doing top secret experiments with alien technology on a base, you'd think they'd try harder to keep it a secret.

but regardless of what or didn't go in there, apparently Area 51 is all but abandoned now. They have relocated their top secrets to another base, somewhere else.

could make up a bunch of theories as to why, but my best guess would be the government were fed up with everyone trying to get a sneak peak at Area 51 and seeing as everyone knows where it is now, its not much of a secret military base anymore.
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : Reyes1

https://www.youtube.com/user/L0rdRemington?feature=mhw5

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:19 am

Would be a good place for a paint-ball match nowadays. Razz

I also don't think there has been Alien tech there. Only "special" human tech to be tested and such.

Like we've seen in the other cases discussed on the previous weeks, human imagination has no limits.
Arkanay
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:33 pm

There are artifacts from around the world stored in Area 51, artifacts like certain Relics Hitler saught out during World War 2.
Shadow
Shadow
Exiled

Female
Spore Name : alien7249

http://www.daac.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hutch Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:45 am

Area 51 is yet another victim of human curiosity, because there isn't a lot of knowledge about the establishment outside of a select few people. So, the only thing we can do is make assumptions. However, I have no idea why our assumption is the site of a large cache of alien artifacts, probably because of it's location, and from what bad sci-fi movies have told us, if it's a government installation in a remote location, it HAS to be harboring aliens. Right?

All in all, I doubt that the U.S. government was storing anything of alien nature in a place like area 51. I'd assume they would put it in an underground tunnel system that only a couple hundred people know about, assuming one: Aliens have actually visited earth, and two. They left anything that is of any value to us. Since I don't believe that either of them are true, I doubt my country has some secret tunnel system that stores unstable alien artifacts.

Hutch
EuroSpore 1948
EuroSpore 1948

Male
Spore Name : Thestarwarsgeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Illusionary Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:41 pm

Area 51 obviously has some top secret project. They might be important, since photography is strictly prohibited, and use of deadly force is authorized. I don't think there are any actual "aliens" down there, but there is definitely top secret and high-par being developed there.
Illusionary
Illusionary
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Male
Spore Name : ghostofillusion

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:29 am

Hey i am guessing your sig belonges in Area 51 Illusionary Laughing
Shadow
Shadow
Exiled

Female
Spore Name : alien7249

http://www.daac.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Shardna Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:32 am

So if that place is empty now what are they gonna call the new place? Area 51 V2 or area 52?
Shardna
Shardna
EuroSpore 1954
EuroSpore 1954

Female
Spore Name : Shardna

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:17 am

Shardna wrote:So if that place is empty now what are they gonna call the new place? Area 51 V2 or area 52?

No I believe its called something completely different, but apparent area 51, isn't even called area 51. It was a name referring to the area in the 50's which they also used to name the base, but now its called the Air Force Flight Test Centre, Detatchment 3..... sounds a lot less secrety and mysterious when its named that
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:29 pm

This week's topic of discussion is:

"Mediumship"

Paranormal Week - >>The Jersey Devil<< - Page 3 John_Beattie_Eugene_Rochas_seance

From Wiki:
Mediumship is described as a form of communication with spirits. It is a practice in religious beliefs such as Spiritualism, Spiritism, Espiritismo, Candomblé, Louisiana Voodoo, Shambala and Umbanda.
Mediumship is the claimed ability of a person (the medium) to experience contact with spirits of the dead, angels, demons or other immaterial entities. A medium is defined by the Oxford English Dictionary as the "supposed organ of communication with spirits". The role of the medium is to facilitate communication with spirits who have messages to share with non-mediums. Mediums claim to be able to listen to, relay messages from, and relate conversations with spirit, to go into a trance(it is not necessary to go into a trance, it all depends on the medium's control and knowledge) and speak without knowledge of what is being said, to allow a spirit to control their body and speak through it, perhaps using a writing instrument (psychography or surreal automatic writing).

Speaking with the dead -
Is it possible? Is it a scam that takes advantage of needy people?
Let us know your opinions on this.

My honest opinion is that I believe people that claim to be mediums are faking it, although some of them are quite talented in doing so.
Some of them are able to pick up lines that most people can connect with and mislead the clueless "victims" from that point on, stating stuff people feel related to.
Arkanay
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:50 pm

Like everything else, I think its not true. Most use a technique call cold reading to subtly coheres details out of the subject and then use that information to make-up that they are talking to the dead person.

Also most of these mediums claim its a mystical gift, given to them by a higher power.... if its such a magical gift, why do they ask people for large sums of money to use their "powers". Seems to take away from the whole spirituality of it.

Most people who go to mediums are people who still suffer immense pain at the loss of a loved one. They will be willing to accept anything to believe they can still communicate with that loved one. Some people know this and take advantage of it. Which is pretty obviously a sick thing to do.
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:23 pm

In the movie Hereafter, there is a very entertaining scene where a boy, while searching for the real medium, first encounters several fake ones and it is quite curious and funny to see the different techniques they use.
Arkanay
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:09 pm

Arkanay wrote:In the movie Hereafter, there is a very entertaining scene where a boy, while searching for the real medium, first encounters several fake ones and it is quite curious and funny to see the different techniques they use.

No such thing as a Real Medium.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male
Spore Name : Vektrix / SporeMasterVek

http://www.eurospore.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:45 pm

I believe there are a select few who can see or feel more than the normal human being. I do not believe that there are people who speak to the dead like on Medium and Ghost Whisperer, but those few have a much broader perception of the world around us.

I can imagine that people or "events" - so to speak - can leave an energy in a certain location that can later be picked up by a person with those heightened senses and then translated into an image that can be understood by everyone.

A friend of my mother's can "read" people much similar to what could be seen as cold reading, only much more emotional, but she once told me she cannot read me whatsoever, so she's either not that good or I'm really that good in not letting people into my aura. She also reads cards if asked but she clearly looks at it as a hobby, much like her painting.

Speaking of popular mediums, for example, I can follow David Wells of Most Haunted, but other mediums the show featured are too dramatic and too precise with their readings - David makes at least the effort of admitting he could be wrong and is not afraid of doing so during the investigations.

I've always kept an open mind with the spiritual world but as soon as someone takes themselves too seriously, they've lost me.
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:44 am

Well there is scientific evidence that backs up the idea that humans can access what might be considered supernatural mental abilties. For instance, everyone to a certain degree has premonition, and it has almost been proven. The did a test with a large group of people.

They hooked them up to brain scanners, and showed them a series of random images, mostly calm a peaceful images. At some point they would randomly throw in a picture of something extremely graphic, like a murder scene. What they found was, everyone tested, about 1 second before the graphic image was shown, had a spike in brain activity, as if the brain were getting ready to see something disturbing. Again, the images were in random order, so there was no way for anyone to predict the next picture.

So to a point humans do have some abilities that are not fully understood by science yet, but I wouldn't be able to say I believe anything beyond precognition until some scientific evidence proves it as a possibility.
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington Sat May 28, 2011 10:39 am

The Mothman

Paranormal Week - >>The Jersey Devil<< - Page 3 Mothman_statue_2005
A 12-foot-tall (3.7 m), stainless-steelsculpture of the Mothman in Point Plesant

The first sighting of the Mothman happened at Point Pleasant in 1966.

"On November 15, 1966, two young couples from Point Pleasant, Nathan and Miranda Skaggs, and Steve and Mary Mallette, along with their young cousin, Lonnie Button, were traveling late at night in the Scarberrys' car. They were passing the West Virginia Ordnance Works, an abandoned World War II TNT factory, about seven miles north of Point Pleasant, in the 2,500 acre (10 km²) McClintic Wildlife Management Area, when they noticed two red lights in the shadows by an old generator plant near the factory gate. They stopped the car, and reportedly discovered that the lights were the glowing red eyes of a large animal, "shaped like a man, but bigger, maybe six and a half or seven feet tall, with big wings folded against its back," according to Roger Scarberry. Terrified, they drove toward Route 62, where the creature supposedly chased them at speeds exceeding 100 miles per hour."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothman

There were several sightings of the mothman after this around point pleasant and in particular the TNT factory. However the mothman is most notabley remembered for supposabley appearing above the Silver Bridge just before it collapsed on Jan 11th, 1967, killing 46 people.

Since then there have been very few sightings of the mothman, leading some to believe he was merely there to warn people of the collapse of the bridge.

Appearance

While accounts of the mothman's appearance vary slightly, but was generally describe to be around 7 feet tall humanoid like creature, with glowing red eyes and the wings of a moth and it let out a very high pitched shriek.

Theories

Some claim that the mothman is a paranormal creature that appears to warn people of impending disasters. While there aren't many theories as to what the mothman is, some say that the mothman is a mutant. Some even claim that the mothman is infact an alien.

Skeptics say that the mothman was most likely a case of mistaken identity. Most skeptics believe that the mothman was infact a sandhill crane, which has a wings span of up to 7 feet and also makes an unusual skriek like noise.

While supposed photographic evidence of the mothman exists such as this taken in 2003 showing what appears to be some sort of black winged creature perched on a bridge.

Paranormal Week - >>The Jersey Devil<< - Page 3 Mothman

However investigator and debunkers have dismissed pictures such as this as they demonstrated that it would be quite easy to make an image like this with nothing but a garbage bag.

What are your thoughts on the Mothman? Was it real or just over-active imaginations and misidentification?

LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay Sat May 28, 2011 11:01 am

Lol. Mothman! In pursuit of dusty-justice!

I have never heard about this creature. It totally seems like something taken out of X Files or Fringe. Razz

As usual, I don't believe it to be real, merely something made up for whatever reason.

A game should be created where all these mythological creatures could fight eachother.

Paramortal Kombat!

Chupacabra --------------------------------------- Argentina Gnome.

Paranormal Week - >>The Jersey Devil<< - Page 3 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTTe8WjZyGErROn6e-dyqOC7qJmDHx-n0vfpxHHn6mCcGBSrtL versus Paranormal Week - >>The Jersey Devil<< - Page 3 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSG6MZSfzdI0pWVJWbkmjBqS-fuLBhuwiIYymLCdCHcdu5HiKsoWA

Fight!
Arkanay
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Illusionary Sat May 28, 2011 12:47 pm

I remember picking up a book about extra-terrestrials that included Mothman in it, and be really interested in it, specifically the artist's rendition of it. I still don't really agree with the more humanoid depiction of it, although if its from an eye witness account, then I guess that's okay.
Illusionary
Illusionary
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Male
Spore Name : ghostofillusion

Back to top Go down

Post by Red-Indigo Sat May 28, 2011 7:51 pm

Remember reading a bit about this some time ago, there isnt much out there about it. It's a very interesting story though.

I do think this was probably a case of mistaken identity, the brain can do weird things to you, especially when tired. Eyeshine could make for the 'glowing' red eyes and the shriek could certainly be an earthly animal. Add the dark and an area that is bound to have a creepy feel and you have Mothman.

The last photo is probably a fake, considering its placement too. If people really believed that it forewarned danger, what better place to 'capture' it than on another bridge?

Still a really intereting mystery though, although I think it'd be better described as a demon not a moth monster Razz
Red-Indigo
Red-Indigo
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Female
Spore Name : Orbixitron

Back to top Go down

Post by Shardna Sat May 28, 2011 9:24 pm

Lol I remember reading that in one of my magazines. To be fair though, I think it looks more like a alien then a monster. It would be intresting if this *Mothman* actually existed. ^^
Shardna
Shardna
EuroSpore 1954
EuroSpore 1954

Female
Spore Name : Shardna

Back to top Go down

Post by Red-Indigo Sat May 28, 2011 9:50 pm

There's nothing to say it isnt... Razz

Every creature is unknown or speculated untill one is actually gotten hold of. Although this does seem a little inprobable. The description reminds me a little of jeepers creepers.

The only thing I'd be interested in, if this thing were proven, would be hiding under my bed.
Red-Indigo
Red-Indigo
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Female
Spore Name : Orbixitron

Back to top Go down

Post by Dino589 Sun May 29, 2011 10:13 am

Perhaps unsurprisingly, I am extremely skeptical. When it is hard to see and people are afraid, it is natural for them to try and identify with or make connections to things they are more familiar with and so people will naturally think they have seen things (perhaps similar to the shadows some people think they see when "ghost hunting"). It is an extremely implausible animal for starters. Glowing red eyes are another thing that I think intriguing most of the time, due to the fact that, although red eyes are quite possible, I know of no organism that possesses ones which glow. Interestingly with that Sandhill Crane hypothesis, in addition to its large size the head is also capped with a reddy colour. Now, obviously it probably wouldn't be able to go fast enough to chase after a car, so I'm not sure what the deal is there.
Overall, a fairly strange case and although I'm a skeptic I'm not willing to immediately discount it completely at this point (and I'm not going to immediately discount "shadow people" while I'm at it, though I admit I'm doubtful).
Dino589
Dino589
Delegate
Delegate

Male
Spore Name : Dino589

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington Sun May 29, 2011 11:30 pm

Well I don't view the moth man as remotely plausible. My overall problem with him is, if his wings are moth like, then they have a near impossible time supporting the weight of a human sized creature. The larger an animal gets, the less capable it is of flying if it has wings. It would either need an extremely light frame, or very very large wings.

Regardless of either of those, being able to flying at 100 miles per hour is not easy feat, even for the fastest of airborne creatures.

Also from a strictly evolutionary sense, the mothman doesn't make a whole ton of sense.

The only way to believe in the mothman is to jump to supernatural conclusions, which I feel should always be a last resort.

I think it was all just a case of mistaken identity and superstition.

and Ark. That would be awesome and lol the Argentinian gnome sounds like a cute little thing Razz
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin92 Mon May 30, 2011 2:28 am

wow, never saw this thread before Shocked

i love paranormal things Smile oh and i never heard about the mothman! it's something completly new for me...is it the same like the owlman?
Kevin92
Kevin92
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Male
Spore Name : Kevin92

http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/Kevin92

Back to top Go down

Post by Dormin Mon May 30, 2011 3:35 am

The Mothman scares me. What is he supposed to be exactly? an alien, or a ghost?
Dormin
Dormin
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : Possum95

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next