Paranormal Week - >>The Jersey Devil<<

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Paranormal Week - >>The Jersey Devil<<

Post by LordRemington on Mon May 30, 2011 7:14 am

Kevin92 wrote:wow, never saw this thread before Shocked

i love paranormal things Smile oh and i never heard about the mothman! it's something completly new for me...is it the same like the owlman?

Actually I was planning on making this subject about both the owlman and the mothman. While they are often drawn in comparison, their back stories and generally their appearance are different, so more often they are considered two different creatures. Though some believe the owlman and the mothman are the same thing.

Thanks gen for the awesome sig
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : Reyes1

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/L0rdRemington?feature=mhw5

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin92 on Tue May 31, 2011 6:06 am

oh ok, thx for the information Wink
Kevin92
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Male
Spore Name : Kevin92

View user profile http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/Kevin92

Back to top Go down

Post by Mudo on Tue May 31, 2011 11:36 am

A very good friend of mine actually grew up in the town during the mothman event, and spent time in the factory where it was said to live. She never saw anything, and doesn't believe in the creature at all, but I thought that little tidbit would be pretty interesting to add here.
Mudo
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : Mudokon117

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington on Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:18 pm

Mudo wrote:A very good friend of mine actually grew up in the town during the mothman event, and spent time in the factory where it was said to live. She never saw anything, and doesn't believe in the creature at all, but I thought that little tidbit would be pretty interesting to add here.

intriguement Mudo. I didn't think a lot of people, even in point pleasant would have believed in the mothman. I think is probably more about having interesting town history that they keep the story of it alive.

Its just not realistic, nor does it make much sense. Also the other problem I have with mothman is the same as some others like el Chupa is that it seemed to pop up out of no where. There had never been any previous sightings of a creature like this (barring the owlman, but it is noted as looking rather different) since the events at point pleasant. If a messenger of impending doom existed, you'd think something like this would have come up a few times before point pleasant.

LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Red-Indigo on Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:14 am

Exactly Remi, also, like the chupacabra the descriptions vary from person to person and there were a larger number of 'sightings' after the incident. Sounds to me like people just trying to be in on it all.

'Together, we are robots.' 'I am not a robot. I am a unicorn'
Red-Indigo
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Female
Spore Name : Orbixitron

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington on Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:40 am

Skinwalkers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin-walker

Skinwalkers are people who have the ability to transform/ shapeshift into any animal her or she desires at will. While there are tales of skinwalkers in many cultures around the world, probably the most documented in that of the native American Navajo skinwalkers.

The Navajo skiwalkers were known as A yee naaldlooshii ("with it, he goes on all four"). A yee naaldlooshii is one of several varieties of Navajo witch (specifically an ’ánt’įįhnii or practitioner of the Witchery Way, as opposed to a user of curse-objects (’adagąsh) or a practitioner of Frenzy Way (’azhįtee)). Technically, the term refers to an ’ánt’įįhnii who is using his (rarely her) powers to travel in animal form. In some versions men or women who have attained the highest level of priesthood are called "clizyati" pure evil, then they commit the act of sudusing a member of their family, and then have thus gained the evil powers that are associated with skinwalkers.

The ’ánt’įįhnii are human beings who have gained supernatural power by breaking a cultural taboo. Specifically, a person is said to gain the power to become a yee naaldlooshii upon initiation into the Witchery Way. Both men and women can become ’ánt’įįhnii and therefore possibly skinwalkers, but men are far more numerous. It is generally thought that only childless women can become witches.

In order to become a skinwalker, most often the person must do something considerably evil, such as killing a family member. Once they have become as skin walker, they are able to assume the form of any animal at will. It is also said in legend they can also steal they skin of people. Should your eyes meet with a ski walker, they are able to absorb themselves into your body. Other abilities of the skin walker include, being able to read peoples thoughts and the ability to create any noise, human or animal e.g mimic the voice of someone. Ski walkers also use charms to instill fear and terror into their victims.

Skinwalkers have been sighted and hunted since the time of the old west and there are still reported sightinging even today. Skin walkers are considered dangerous. They are said to attack peoples' homes e.g banging on wall, smashing out windows attack vehicles.

Description
If not in the form of an animal a skinwalker would most likely appear as a naked person, with an animal skin draped over him or her. The are said to being, incredibly quick and agile and impossible to catch and some say impossible to kill.

Due to their violent nature, skinwalkers are sometime hunted. It is said that there are only two ways to kill a skinwalker. First, if a Navajo knows the name of the witch, they pronoune his or her full name. Within three days dies for the crime her or she has commited. The only other way to kill a skinwalker is by shooting them with bullets covered in white ash. Regular bullets are said not to harm them.

While it may seem like a bad set up to a horror movie, there are those who live in Navajo Territory who still believe skinwalkers still roam.

So what are your thoughts on the skinwalkers? Are they really witches with the ability to shapeshift, or merely crazy shamans wearing animals skins? And what do you think of modern day encounters with skinwalkers?

LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay on Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:40 am

Now we know what happened in Nigeria with the goat. Razz
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male
Spore Name : Arkanay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Red-Indigo on Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:25 pm

The Navajo and American Indian culture as a whole has so many tales of animal transformation and so on, its a popular theme. I think its more of a cultural thing than an actual happening and probably a way to warn of commitng social taboo.

Like most things, I think its a way to understand other occurences, whatever they may be. I don't know a huge amount about Native American culture, its quite shrouded anyways, so I can't put alot of support into anything, although I certainly feel its more of a story to keep things in order.

Red-Indigo
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dino589 on Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:42 am

Little late getting back to this, though I really have not had much time as of late.

LordRemington wrote:Well I don't view the moth man as remotely plausible. My overall problem with him is, if his wings are moth like, then they have a near impossible time supporting the weight of a human sized creature. The larger an animal gets, the less capable it is of flying if it has wings. It would either need an extremely light frame, or very very large wings.

Regardless of either of those, being able to flying at 100 miles per hour is not easy feat, even for the fastest of airborne creatures.

Also from a strictly evolutionary sense, the mothman doesn't make a whole ton of sense.

The only way to believe in the mothman is to jump to supernatural conclusions, which I feel should always be a last resort.

I think it was all just a case of mistaken identity and superstition.

and Ark. That would be awesome and lol the Argentinian gnome sounds like a cute little thing Razz

Yeah, Mothman is quite the implausible creature. And yes, as mass is increased it becomes more and more difficult for an animal to get off the ground (though that hasn't stopped numerous animals from pulling it off over the millions of years)?
Now, from an evolutionary standpoint from how "Mothman" has been described it makes absolutely no sense.
I think probably the only reason why it can't be immediately discounted is the lack of solid proof--so in other words, it almost certainly doesn't exist, rather than it certainly doesn't exist (because that fact has not been proven. Not yet, anyway)--because, as it has been argued elsewhere, claiming certainties without being certain can be described as "bad science."

Now, Skinwalkers? In general shapeshifting is something that, from what is understood at this point, makes no sense. Although many animals, both past and present, have exhibited dramatic physical changes, its not like this occurs almost instantaneously (or even overnight, as far as I'm aware).
Dino589
Delegate
Delegate

Male
Spore Name : Dino589

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoD on Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:53 am

Guys, I can confirm that skinwalkers are real because I am one. Please choose I new topic.

Thanks.

Your skinwalker friend,
LoD
LoD
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Female
Spore Name : Meriadoc Brandybuck

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sjhorm on Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:08 am

And I am the mothman Shh
sjhorm
EuroSpore 1975
EuroSpore 1975

Male
Spore Name : sjhorm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay on Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:12 am

sjhorm wrote:And I am the mothman Shh

Dad...?
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington on Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:47 pm

LoD wrote:Guys, I can confirm that skinwalkers are real because I am one. Please choose I new topic.

Thanks.

Your skinwalker friend,
LoD
IWantItPlz

ShockPlz

Arkanay wrote:

Dad...?
IDislikeItPlz

Too many shocking revelations at one time!
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin92 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:48 am

is this topic still alive? it was so exciting and cool...
Kevin92
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington on Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:23 am

sorry Kev, been busy. I remembered a few days ago about this, but forgot to get around to making a new topic Hard Work . I'll make a new one later today awesome

LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin92 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:16 am

no problem! i only wanted to ask Very Happy you have enough time to create a new one.... Wink
Kevin92
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington on Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:35 am

@Big Kev, well here you go as requested. Razz

The Dover Demon

History and Description

Over a 25 hour period, between April 21st to 22nd 1977, a unearthly creature was spotted repeatedly by seperate people in the town of Dover, Massachusettes.

The Dover Demon was first sport by three seventeen year old buys as they drove in the car. The first believe it was some sort of cat or dog, but the closer they got, the more they realized this creature wasn't anything they had ever seen before.

The witnesses' accounts of the creature, described the creature as:

having a disproportionately large, watermelon-shaped head and illuminated orange eyes, like glass marbles. It had long, thin arms and legs with slender fingers, which it used to grasp onto the pavement. It was hairless and had rough, flesh-toned skin, described as tan and sandpaper-like. The creature's appearance was very plain, with no nose or ears, and no mouth was seen. The witness drawings portray its head as having a skull shape, forming the contour of a circle on top with a more elliptical ending projecting down to include where the nose and mouth would be.

Other witnesses have claimed the creature had green eyes and seemingly smooth, chalky gray toned skin, three feet tall, and made a bloodcurdling noise, similar to a hawk's screech combined with a snake's hiss. But all witnesses say it had no ears, mouth, nose, or known sex.

A few hours after the three 17 year olds spotted the creature, two teenagers walking home also claimed to have spotted an unsual bipedal creature very similar to the one describe by the first witnesses. And the next day another two people claimed to have spotted the unusual creature.

Four of the witnesses drew drawings of the creature they saw shortly after they encountered them, with surprisingly resemblance to each others description. None of the people from the three apparent sightings claimed to have ever had any contact with each other before or after the sightings.

Theories

There are a few theories floating around, some scientific, some not so much, and some claiming government conspiracy. Some believe the most rational answer is that it was a baby moose that was miss-identified, however the eyewitness accounts all suggest the creature had long slender fingers, while moose only have hooves and moose aren't known to be in that area during that part of the year.

Some of the more outlanidsh theories suggest that The Dover Demon is actually an alien that somehow got trapped on the planet. Some even believe an inter-demensional warp brought the dover demon into our plane of existence.

Some believe that the Dover Demon is a secret government experiment. Some sort of horribly deformed mutant human. Another theory is that the dover demon is a creature from Cree Indian mythology known as the "Mannegishi", a race of tiny similarly described creatures that were known to be tricksters.

But skeptics are always quick to point out one fact. All of the witnesses were teenagers, the oldest witness being 18. The chalk it up to either over active imaginations or maybe even the teens plotting the sighting during school.

So what are your thoughts on the Dover Demon? Hoax, experiment, alien?

LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Red-Indigo on Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:58 am

It makes me sceptic that it was teenagers. Not saying teenagers are always the ones making up stories or not to be believed, but it's just odd they are all of a similar age range, not to mention it was only a 25 hour thing.

My first thought was that this was a fox or coyote that had either a deformation of some sort or really really advanced mange. They make all sorts of horrible noises too, not to mention the glowing eyes thing. It's also possible that if it had mange that bad, it had other issues too which would account for enlarged eyes and possible swelling around the skull. If it was a poorly creature in that state, it probably died soon which would explain the freak sighting.

I'd much prefer to believe it were an inter-dimensional warp or Mannegishi Very Happy

Red-Indigo
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoD on Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:33 am

Sounds very scary but a I agree with Red. Probably just some kids making up stuff. :/

My next suggestion for Paranormal Week is: www.thisman.org The man that appears in many people's dreams. :O
LoD
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Female
Spore Name : Meriadoc Brandybuck

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington on Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:27 pm

LoD wrote:Sounds very scary but a I agree with Red. Probably just some kids making up stuff. :/

My next suggestion for Paranormal Week is: www.thisman.org The man that appears in many people's dreams. :O

Well that is an interesting story LoD. trying to decide though whether though that would be more appropriate as a psychological topic or supernatural one though scratch.

@Red. I agree. Unfortunately as much as I'd like to believe it is an inter-demensional alien, the fact that it was only these teens who saw it and there have been no apparent sightings of it since then make me highly doubt it. You'd expect more sightings over time if it were something more believable.

I think the kids were just trying to create another cultural cryptid, but as the dover demon is not that well known nor did the trend of sightings catch on, they didn't do that good of a job Razz

LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay on Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:25 pm

I believe whoever reported this 'creature' either was pulling a shenanigan or had it confused with something that was probably an animal or an object. So, like many other Paranormal beasts, I call this one fake.

Still, that drawing looks creepy. If I ever saw one of those in the woods I would teleport to the top of a tree. Shh
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin92 on Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:00 am

i like the theory with the inter-demensional alien, too! the drawing looks like an alien just on 4 leags. but the fact that teenagers saw this demonlike creature, makes me sceptic... Rolling Eyes
Kevin92
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dino589 on Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:45 am

Lol, I think all that can be said for the Demon has been said and I'm quite inclined to call it a fake (but of course, one can always hope it is some visitor from another dimension Razz).
Dino589
Delegate
Delegate

Male
Spore Name : Dino589

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix on Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:15 am

Neither fact nor fake, it is in fact completely made-up by this group of teenagers, possibly covering up for their use of drugs and/or alcohol.

I know, call me a cynical party pooper. Neutral

An amazing sig by the great MarkyDMan.
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male
Spore Name : Vektrix / SporeMasterVek

View user profile http://www.eurospore.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington on Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:54 am

*Bit early, bur felt like doing it after reading about this*

Spring-heeled Jack

History

Spring-heeled Jack is an urban legend that was first claimed to been seen in the year 1837.

The first sighting came from a businessmen in London walking home late one night from work. He noticed an unusual figure leap over the very tall cemetary railing. He jumped far higher than any normal human could jump. The man described the figure as:

a muscular man with devilish features including large and pointed ears and nose, and protruding, glowing eyes.

The first sighting did not include an attack, however in subsequent sightings, it seemed Spring-heeled Jack became increasingly malevolent.

The next encounter with Spring-Heeled Jack occured in october of that same year.

A girl by the name of Mary Stevens was walking to Lavender Hill, where she was working as a servant, after visiting her parents in Battersea. On her way through Clapham Common, a strange figure leapt at her from a dark alley. After immobilising her with a tight grip of his arms, he began to kiss her face, while ripping her clothes and touching her flesh with his claws, which were, according to her deposition, "cold and clammy as those of a corpse". In panic, the girl screamed, making the attacker quickly flee from the scene. The commotion brought several residents who immediately launched a search for the aggressor, who could not be found.

And the day afterward, Spring-heeled jack was spotted jumping infront of a Horse and carriage causing the coachman to lose control, and crash, causing major injury. People who saw the incident claimed he jumped over a 9 foot high wall while insanely laughing in a very high pitched, ringing tone.

As time went on more and more sightings and encounters came to light. The sightings of Spring-heeled Jack became so widespread and reknowned that papers began running stories about the devilish creature and fear of spring-heeled Jack spread.

Two of the most bizarre and disturbing attacks of spring-heeled Jack were the cases of Jane Alsop and Lucy Scales.

Jane Alsop's Story- On the night of February 18 1838, Jane Alsop answered a knock on her door. A man claming to be a policeman said "we've capture Spring-helled Jack here in the lane". She accompanied to police officer to the lane next to her house, when suddenly the man threw off his cloak, revealing his true hideous, monsterous self. He then vomited blue and white flames from his mouth and his eyes resembled fireballs. He then grabbed her and began tearing her gown with his claws, which she claimed "were metallic". She smcreamed for help and managed to getfree, but as she got to the door of her house he caught her against, slashing her neck and arms. Luckily her sister rescued her from his clutches and he bounded away.

Lucy Scale's Story-8 days after the Attack of Jane Alsop, Lucy Scale was walking home with her sister after visiting there brother. As they walked down and alleyway, the spotted a strange cloaked figure standing there. Lucy was walking infront of her sister at the time. But as he passed the cloaked figure, he spurted a "quantity of blue flame" into the face of Lucy Scale, causing her to loose her sight. She was so frightened that she feel to the ground and began seizing with violent fits, which lasted several hours.

The mass sightings of Spring-Heeled Jack halted in the late 1870's however off sightings of Spring-heeled Jack have been claimed as recently as 1986.

There were no reported death attributed to the attacks of Spring-heeled Jack.

Appearance

Descriptions of Jack did not vary much. He was often described as a muscular cloaked figure. He appeared to be human, however his face with a terrifying demon like face e.g pointed ears and nose and glowing red eyes that resembled fireballs. He was also often described as wearing a helmet and a tight fitting oilskin outfit. He was also described as having razor sharp metallic finger tips, which he used to harm his victims.

Theories

Most skeptics believe that it was most liely just a combination of mass histeria and a few people whith a macabre sense of humour. many skeptics believe the most likely culprit who began the stories was an Irish Nobleman, by the name of Henry de La Poer Beresford, who was known to be a drunken brawler, had a brutal sense of humor and a vandal. They say that Henry enjoy slinkig around and night and jumping out and scaring unaware travellers. However he supposabley settled down after getting married, well before the majority of the spring-heel jack attacks occured and he died in 1859, long before they ended.

It is believed that while he may have originated it, it is possible that copy cat Spring-heeled Jack's followed in his footsteps, terrorising people.

But not all people believe spring-helled Jack was just a crazy drunk nobleman.

Some believe he may have been an extraterrestrial being. Due to his non-human facial appearance and super-human agility and strength, some believe he may have infact been an extraterresrtial from a world where there was much greater gravity. This is also linked to the theory that Spring-helled Jack was a demon, summoned into the world either accidentally or purposefully by a cult.

Others think he was some sort of malevolent spirit.

So what do you think? What was spring-heeled Jack? Was he just a mad nobleman out to cause trouble? Or was he an extraterrestrial from another world? Or was he a demon?

LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down