Hamburger University

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hamburger University

Post by LordRemington on Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:22 pm

Time for another weird story (maybe I'll make this a regular thing Razz)

I'm not sure if any of y'all knew about this, but I sure didn't apparently The first Hamburger University was established in 1961 at a McDonald's restaurant in Illinois. They recently opened another Hamburger university in China.

SHANGHAI — China's newest university has no football field or fancy library. For inspiration, it looks not to Confucius, but to Ronald McDonald. But Shanghai's Hamburger U. aspires to be a leader in higher learning for ambitious Chinese managers.

McDonald's Corp. inaugurated its first Hamburger University in China on Tuesday to train new generations of managers as foreign companies step up efforts to develop and keep Chinese talent.

China is McDonald's Inc.'s fastest-growing global market, said Tim Fenton, the company's president for Asia, Pacific, Middle East and Africa. He said the country's $300 billion-a-year "informal eating out" market is expanding at an annual rate of 10 percent, compared with 2 to 3 percent in the United States.

"It's because of China's strategic importance to McDonald's that we have chosen to have our new Hamburger University in Shanghai," said Fenton. "We have to get ahead of the people curve."

The move comes as foreign companies in China are focusing on developing local managers but face pressure to keep them as young, ambitious employees move on for better opportunities.

On Tuesday, the American Chamber of Commerce said a survey of 202 multinational companies found they are changing strategies to adapt to rising costs and high employee turnover.

Companies need to offer better opportunities to keep talented employees, said Joni Bessler, a partner at consulting firm Booz & Co., which helped to compile the survey.

"Innovation is required to get people to stay for more than two years," said Bessler.

Shanghai's $250 million Hamburger U., the company's seventh worldwide, has a statue of company symbol Ronald McDonald but will not teach how to make hamburgers and fries. The emphasis is on running businesses better.

What I found particularly funny about this is, that statistically, less than 1 percent of applicants are accepted into Hamburger Uni, making it harder to get into than Harvard.

I also love the fact the degree you get is called a "McDegree". Razz

Any thoughts on this. Would you go to Hamburger Uni?

Personally I'd rather just get a business degree. Firstly the degree is specific to macdonald's and secondly, it would be hard for anyone to take you seriously at another job if your resume said "graduated from Hamburger University".

Thanks gen for the awesome sig
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : Reyes1

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/L0rdRemington?feature=mhw5

Back to top Go down

Re: Hamburger University

Post by sjhorm on Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:26 pm

I wonder...if you could get rejected from Hamburger U.
sjhorm
EuroSpore 1975
EuroSpore 1975

Male
Spore Name : sjhorm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Illusionary on Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:55 pm

Graduating from Hamburger U could say a lot about you. The fact that you got in could be impressive enough. If you open your own restaurant, the quality's probably gonna be good. If it's branched off slightly from McDonalds, your restaurant is guaranteed success for at least half of a year. Razz
Illusionary
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Male
Spore Name : ghostofillusion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top