Thrill seeking and adrenaline junkies

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Thrill seeking and adrenaline junkies

Post by LordRemington on Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:08 am

Bored at uni I was reading random weird news stories and came across an article about a new attraction at a Tourist Resort, where you are harnessed to a flying fox (zip line) and you fly directly over a hungry crocodile.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/travel/news/tourists-to-dangle-over-crocodiles-on-flying-fox-in-new-cairns-plan/story-e6freqwo-1226031119381

I had actually been thinking earlier this morning about thrill seeking and found it ironic I saw this story.

Personally I don't think I'd enjoy being dangled over the mouth of a hungry gator, but thats just me.

But I do enjoy the occasionaly thrill. I used to do absailing. It seemed no matter how many times I did it, every time I would approach the edge of the cliff, I would get this weird, excited butterflies feeling and my heart would be pounding..... and I liked it.

And like a lot of people I really enjoy rollercoasters.

So the question is, are you a thrill seeker or adrenaline junkie or are you happier doing safer activites? If you are a bit of an adrenaline junkie, what do you do or have you done to achieve that thrill? What are some things you haven't done that you want to do?

For myself, one thing that is still high on my list is to go skydiving and bungie jumping. Sure it would be scary as hell, but I feel its an experience I need to try atleast once. Also I would like to pick up absailing again, but higher level absailing, such as absailing into caverns and caves.

Thanks gen for the awesome sig
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : Reyes1

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/L0rdRemington?feature=mhw5

Back to top Go down

Re: Thrill seeking and adrenaline junkies

Post by Red-Indigo on Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:20 pm

There are loads of things I'd like to do, mostly to do with conquering my fear of hieghts. I think thrill seeking comes from me not wanting to be beaten by this fear. I also enjoy that adrenaline rush you get.

I don't know if many of you know about 'Go Ape!' But its a load of centres in england where there are huge obstacle courses up in the trees, they consist of zip wires, tunnels, rope swings, loads of stuff. I found this a thrill the first time I went because you are high up and responsible for making sure you are attatched to the safety lines and everything, so my fear of falling really came into play XD

Another thing I find to be an adrenaline rush is blading. We have loads of huge huge hills where I live, most of them paved, so I enjoy skating down them as fast as I can, its a rush to feel the wind in your face and to see everything rushing past in a blur. I want to try mountain boarding too, at some point.

'Together, we are robots.' 'I am not a robot. I am a unicorn'
Red-Indigo
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Female
Spore Name : Orbixitron

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington on Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:02 pm

Red-Indigo wrote:There are loads of things I'd like to do, mostly to do with conquering my fear of hieghts. I think thrill seeking comes from me not wanting to be beaten by this fear. I also enjoy that adrenaline rush you get.

I don't know if many of you know about 'Go Ape!' But its a load of centres in england where there are huge obstacle courses up in the trees, they consist of zip wires, tunnels, rope swings, loads of stuff. I found this a thrill the first time I went because you are high up and responsible for making sure you are attatched to the safety lines and everything, so my fear of falling really came into play XD

Another thing I find to be an adrenaline rush is blading. We have loads of huge huge hills where I live, most of them paved, so I enjoy skating down them as fast as I can, its a rush to feel the wind in your face and to see everything rushing past in a blur. I want to try mountain boarding too, at some point.

No Go Ape centres here, but they sound fun.

and ooof, anything that has to do with going down a hill very fast frightens me. Had an accident going down a hill extremely fast when I was a kid. I was on my bike, zipping down a steep road. My bike chain snapped and I fell off my bike. Skid across the ground on my face for about 3 metres. all I have from it is my left side of my face is slightly less sensitive than my right, but since then I can't go down a hill, or at least a steep concrete road without being in a vehicle where I know I have zero chance of face panting again.

I've also wanted to pick up snow skiing. But there snowy mountains are hours away from here. But atleast with snow I know if I face plant, it will be on a reasonably soft surface.

LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Red-Indigo on Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:27 pm

Ouch, that sounds nasty.

Yeah, I want to try snowboarding or somthing as well, although I'd probably be too nervous of the ski lifts XD

And as for face planting in snow, its probably worse. Most of the gear sold for snow sports has ripstop and usually armor on vital areas, because the snow and compacted ice can be pretty hard and abrasive. I guess in the powder, if you were going slow it would be fine, but get the speed up and I imagine its still painful!

Red-Indigo
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington on Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:31 pm

Red-Indigo wrote:Ouch, that sounds nasty.

Yeah, I want to try snowboarding or somthing as well, although I'd probably be too nervous of the ski lifts XD

And as for face planting in snow, its probably worse. Most of the gear sold for snow sports has ripstop and usually armor on vital areas, because the snow and compacted ice can be pretty hard and abrasive. I guess in the powder, if you were going slow it would be fine, but get the speed up and I imagine its still painful!

Well in that case I'll just pick up knitting.

No more painful face plants for me.

LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Red-Indigo on Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:15 pm

Haha, I think you'd be fine. It's the learner tracks that scare me, they are made from concrete or nylon matting Shocked

Knitting can be equally dangerous y'know, with all those sharp ends.

Red-Indigo
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington on Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:20 pm

Red-Indigo wrote:Haha, I think you'd be fine. It's the learner tracks that scare me, they are made from concrete or nylon matting Shocked

Knitting can be equally dangerous y'know, with all those sharp ends.

Why would they make learners tracks out of concrete? Surprised

And I guess in that case I have little other choice than to wrap myself up in bubble wrap in a room with padded walls and floor. Not many way I can get hurt doing that..... would be boring though. Safe, but boring.

LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay on Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:21 pm

The first time I was confronted with Slide, I was scared to do it and decided to step back.

The following times I decided to go for it and it is a quite fun thing to do. I enjoy it quite a lot. That's probably the most adrenaline type thing I have ever done. Besides kids' shenanigans, of course. Razz
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male
Spore Name : Arkanay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Red-Indigo on Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:07 am

@remi: I have no idea, but thats england, so its probably somthing to do with lack of snow... Rather than wrap yourself in bubble wrap, try zorbing. You are in a protective bubble, but still great fun!

@Ark: A slide? Haha, I remember that being the favourite thing on the playground. It can be good fun, especially water slides. Do you have any of those kids' indoor play areas near you? We used to have one with a 'drop slide' which basicly meant a little ledge you dropped youself off, before falling for a bit and then hitting the curve of the slide, it sounds more scary than it was. They took it out now though, can't think why... Razz

Red-Indigo
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay on Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:25 am

Okay, that's not the slide I meant, lol.

This is what I meant.
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male
Spore Name : Arkanay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Red-Indigo on Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:35 am

Laughing My bad!

Yeah, I call it zip wire. Awesome things! and so much fun too. Theres a huge one over the top of the eden project, I never got to go on it though because it was too windy the day we visited Sad

Red-Indigo
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington on Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:56 am

Arkanay wrote:Okay, that's not the slide I meant, lol.

This is what I meant.
Spoiler:

Here we call them flying foxes. A lot of fun, but the ones I have been on were a lot less stable than the one in the picture. Normally homemade ones. Ofcourse, they weren't anywhere near as high as that one.

@Red. Didn't know what zorbing is so I had to look it up. I remember see those on tv and all I can say is....... I want one Shocked

LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Copperlou on Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:06 am

I love doing exciting things with some risk, such as sky diving, white water rafting, mountain climbing, etc... really any exciting outdoors activity.

Oddly enough I also enjoy tangling with the biggest, most aggressive dogs dogs at work. There is some fun to wrestling with them, so long as no one gets seriously hurt.

Copperlou
EuroSpore 1948
EuroSpore 1948

Female

View user profile http://www.spore.com/view/myspore

Back to top Go down

Post by PlasmaManiac on Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:50 pm

I am mildly afraid of heights, so I try to overcome this and manage to do a lot of different climbing things, like rock-climbing and rappelling. I like the adrenaline rush, but sometimes it goes too far to the point where I'm dangling in the air. That is the time at which everyone standing around me, gets injured, or gets a headache Viking Don't ask why I used that smiley.
PlasmaManiac

Male
Spore Name : PlasmaManiac

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top