EuroSpore
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fads and trends

+5
Xaesheir
Andeavor
ArticShock
Arkanay
LordRemington
9 posters

Go down

Fads and trends Empty Fads and trends

Post by LordRemington Sun May 08, 2011 10:34 am

Throughout the years there have been many fads, trends and styles which have come and gone.

Did you or do you follow any trends of fads? Are there any fads you wish would come back? Or are there ones you wish would go away?

A fad can be anything. A particular way of dressing, certain type of music, every a toy. Did you ever follow any of them.

While most people would like to say no because they are totally unique, almost everyone has probably followed at least one, due to the most obvious fact that a fad is a fad because it is popular thing to do.

I followed a few I believe in my time.

Pokemon. In the late 90's it was most certainly a fad and I was certainly part of it. I watched it every morning, but I also bought the trading cards. I have no idea why I did so, because I never found the trading cards interesting, even before I bought them. Slave to a tend I guess. My trendiness continued with the gameboy games of pokemon, up until pokemon sapphire, at which point I left that trend.

Odd trends that I never really understood and yet for some reason still participated in were furbies and tamagochis. I had a couple furbies, despite the fact I thought they were creepy as hell. People used to bring in their furbies to school and have little furby cult meetings.

Just look at it.... don't tell me its not creepy.Shocked

Fads and trends Furby

As I said I was also a tamagochi kid. Even though I never really got into it and my one would always get sick and die as I am apparently incapable of even taking care of a digital pet. Unsure

The next few fads I went through mostly involved cars. Tonka trucks and hot wheels. I stopped with Tonka truck when I took it to school and someone accidentally broke one of the wheels, which made me a very sad panda and hot wheels I sort of just got frustrated with as for someone reason I could never get the stupid plastic tracks to form a circuit as apparently I was too stupid to figure out how to make a oval shape.

And then came Legos. I had a large tub of them and even though I was incapable of making anything more complex than a rainbow coloured cube, I enjoyed them for quite a while.

After those I for the most part stopped following trends and just started doing stuff that wasn't considered lame or trend, they just sort of were stuff.

I have trends I wish would come back into fashion, but one of the most major ones are parachute pants, but unfortunately the days of MC Hammer are long gone. Sad

Fads and trends 1980s-parachute-pants

My reason for me wanting them to return is that they both look awesome and look like the would provide a level of comfort I so greatly desire in my pant-wear.

A fad I wish would really go away that seems to be stuck in australian culture is the mullet/rat's tail.

Fads and trends Bogan

I mean seriously..... how could anyone think that looks good?

But anyways thats all my fads stuff. What about yours?
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : Reyes1

https://www.youtube.com/user/L0rdRemington?feature=mhw5

Back to top Go down

Fads and trends Empty Re: Fads and trends

Post by Arkanay Sun May 08, 2011 10:40 am

LordRemington wrote:
A fad I wish would really go away that seems to be stuck in australian culture is the mullet/rat's tail.

Oh, yes, I wish that trend was eradicated. It´s so, so ugly. I really dislike it.

I used to have a ton of Legos. (Still do, at my parents´somewhere) They were a lot of fun to play with, especially since you could build anything. Very Happy
Arkanay
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male
Spore Name : Arkanay

Back to top Go down

Post by ArticShock Sun May 08, 2011 11:16 am

The only fads that I can think of right now are playing with legos for hours and playing the first two generations of pokemon games. I don't play with any of those anymore, but I still think my old lego creations that I made are pretty cool. Razz

I think that the ferbies' stare is creepy.
ArticShock
ArticShock
EuroSpore 1948
EuroSpore 1948

Male
Spore Name : ArticShock

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Sun May 08, 2011 11:27 am

I remember a time when Lego invented sets and didn't make them for other franchises. I still love them but the whole imagination approach has lost its flavor on them, and the "re-imagined" basic sets have become rather demure.

I can't really remember the big trends back in my days because I didn't follow most of them. I would watch I Love the 80s and I Love the 90s and literally choke of laughter remembering all the crap we used to go crazy about. Fashion, hairdos, music, accessories, games, toys and what have you.

Remember the slap bracelet?

Fads and trends Slap-bracelets

Painful, weren't they?
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

Back to top Go down

Post by Xaesheir Sun May 08, 2011 1:51 pm

Primary school, everyone was listening to Pop-based stuff you'd hear at a disco. I would be sitting at home listening to anything which pops up on Kerrang (which at the time it was mainly Muse, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Linkin park and blink 182).

By middle school, my hair was outrageously spiked and would remain that way until late high-school (about 4 inch spikes done in a slightly manga-style). By the time I was 10/11, I was pretty much into metal like Behemoth, Belphegor, Cryptopsy, Deicide and Cannibal Corpse.

By High School, everyone was going all trendy with clothing and music style. It was pretty much half-forced that you must listen to a crap band like Avenge Sevenfold or Dragonforce otherwise you wouldn't fit in. My response was to simply blast out Braindrill or Hour of Penance out of my phone and silence them Razz Ehhh, also when everyone was getting iPod's and saying they are the best for no absolute reason, I got a Zen X-FI and loved it. Always funny to retort back that the Zen has a better sound wuality and that iPod sound sounds like it's being played out of a potato instead of a speaker (ok this isn't true but still...)

All in all, yeah I didn't follow any particular trends, except the whole watching Pokemon thing when I was young :3
Xaesheir
Xaesheir
Delegate
Delegate

Male
Spore Name : xDoomsoulx

Back to top Go down

Post by OneDeadSlime Mon May 09, 2011 12:59 am

Ehhh, also when everyone was getting iPod's and saying they are the best for no absolute reason, I got a Zen X-FI and loved it.

Yes and no, it's true that iPod has got a bit mainstream and people will say it's the best simply because other people do, but it *is* a good player, interface wise. They way you can navigate in it is extremely nice and it looks aesthetically pleasing too. However, the shuffle function is bugged (sometimes it resets and starts over), the battery lasts way too little time (if only we could remove the album view and all that unnecessary trash), and as it usually happens, although the newest ones have adjustable brightness, it's horrible without it. They're also extremely expensive. You can get a very decent mp3 player for 100 euros, probably less, instead of 220+. But also, I hate the fact that itunes songs are encoded and not just encoded but also take up much more space then their mp3 versions. I've been using itunes for more than 5 years and I love it, and it's mainly why I got two ipods over the years. But given the fact that I'm now rather fed up with them and I now know how to convert the purchased songs to other formats, I won't be spending any more money on iPods in the future, when my current one stops working (not that I hope this happens obviously).

Sorry about that... I just needed to rant somewhat, and no I never followed any trends particularly, except those more or less created by me and close friends so that doesn't really count.
OneDeadSlime
OneDeadSlime
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : warmslime / SporeMasterSlime

Back to top Go down

Post by Red-Indigo Mon May 09, 2011 2:18 am

FURBIES!

I had one that messed up and when the batteries were in it just kept saying stuff, would never shut up XD

I guess as a kid I did used to follow the little fads. I had a tamigotchi, which went to school with me and I was very much part of the pokemon craze. There was a shop that sold 'rare' cards for 10/20/30 p and I used to go there after school on firdays. Although I think it was more the art I used to like on them. (I miss my brock's vulpix Laughing )

I also had sea monkeys, which I gave to a friend to look after when we had to move. I think I might have an old sea monkey tank in my room somewhere too.

Now days I don't think I follow trends/fads at all, although Im still intreged by little knick knacks and the like. Hawkins bazaar is a favourite shop of mine, which is very much a faddish store.

I tend to stumble upon things and often follow the community/trends associated, but not because its a trend, just because I like it. Id never follow somthing just because everyone else is.

Red-Indigo
Red-Indigo
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Female
Spore Name : Orbixitron

Back to top Go down

Post by sjhorm Mon May 09, 2011 4:03 am

Man, I thought I was the only one creeped out by furbies.

Can't believe I forgot about some of this stuff.
sjhorm
sjhorm
EuroSpore 1975
EuroSpore 1975

Male
Spore Name : sjhorm

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay Mon May 09, 2011 5:06 am

My cousin used to have a Furby, many years ago. One day, it was mysteriously speaking in Furby language. Shocked

Turned out the batteries were not put in correctly. Razz
Arkanay
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male
Spore Name : Arkanay

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington Mon May 09, 2011 11:18 am

@Red, oh yeah I'd forgotten about Sea monkeys. I had them to. I got bored of them quite quickly when they did not turn into actual aquatic monkeys though.

I think we only kept our for about 1 month.

@Ark, The furby talk only had furbies creepier. I always thought if you played back what they were saying at half speed or in reverse, they would be chanting satanic verses. I felt evil behind the furby craze.
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : Reyes1

https://www.youtube.com/user/L0rdRemington?feature=mhw5

Back to top Go down

Post by Dino589 Wed May 11, 2011 11:07 am

Oh gosh, I remember Furbies. Creepy little things, them. And they were everywhere around here too.
Creepier still, is a zombie Furby. One time for art class we had to draw "monsters." So, someone brought in a Furby... zombie. You could see much of the plastic shell, with only patches of fur all over it, and on the feet and a little mohawk, and in many places there were cracks or no shell at all so you could see all the electronics inside. Our then-art teacher was quite creeped out by it.

Lol I remember the Tamogotchis. Everyone was so addicted to them. Some of my friends must have had a half dozen! Never really saw the point in them though.

For a couple years Lego's Bionicle theme was amazingly popular over here, and I will admit that that was one I was actually a part of all those years ago. I'll admit I still followed it too until its cancellation just last year, although much, much more loosely. I still tinker with other Lego things though from time to time (although I'm probably the only person I know who does). Its one of those things that is just so timeless.
Dino589
Dino589
Delegate
Delegate

Male
Spore Name : Dino589

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: