Lucid Dreaming

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lucid Dreaming

Post by LoD on Tue May 10, 2011 2:46 am

When you have a Lucid Dream you are aware you are dreaming and it gives you the ability to control and change your dreams.

I was just wondering if anyone has been able to have a Lucid Dream or has heard of Lucid Dreaming. Smile

LoD
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Female
Spore Name : Meriadoc Brandybuck

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lucid Dreaming

Post by Tyranidking on Tue May 10, 2011 3:01 am

I have to preform something similar in order to contact my animal spirits. It is very difficult, and I haven't succeeded so far.

EuroSpore 1965
EuroSpore 1965

Male
Spore Name : Nidking

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay on Tue May 10, 2011 3:25 am

It´s an interesting concept. I actually once realized I was Lucid Dreaming and could control what to happen next. But that brought up the question, what if I was just "normal" dreaming all along and dreamt I was Lucid Dreaming? scratch

I would like to experience it again, though. Smile

---

A youtube video regarding Lucid Dreaming.

Last edited by Arkanay on Tue May 10, 2011 3:29 am; edited 2 times in total
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male
Spore Name : Arkanay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyranidking on Tue May 10, 2011 3:26 am

I hate those scenarios. You can go on forever without an answer.

EuroSpore 1965
EuroSpore 1965

Male
Spore Name : Nidking

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Red-Indigo on Tue May 10, 2011 6:53 am

Ive heard of it and its somthing Ive been very interested in. Theres loads of ways to induce it, mainly meditation and relaxing techniques.

I've had Lucid dreams before, nothing special and they werent really forced, nor did they last long. I think its more to do with that switch over from light sleep to REM sleep, a sort of inbetween state of day dreaming and actual dreaming.

It'd be really cool to be able to induce it, but I think itd take a control way beyond my attention span Very Happy

'Together, we are robots.' 'I am not a robot. I am a unicorn'
Red-Indigo
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Female
Spore Name : Orbixitron

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OneDeadSlime on Tue May 10, 2011 6:55 am

Well, I virtually never remember my dreams anyway. I usually do in early morning but I never get around to keep them in my mind. So even if it does happen to me, it's as if it doesn't.
OneDeadSlime
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : warmslime / SporeMasterSlime

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Damnagoras on Tue May 10, 2011 7:42 am

Lucid dreaming is awesome. Particularly if I'm having a nightmare or just a generally uncomfortable dream, because I can somehow hit Esc and load my last save. Or fly, that's always fun, although I don't get that idea too often.

An article I read on the subject said that it's very possible that games can make you have lucid dreams more often, and let you gain more control. It had something to do with how you had become more accustomed to moving around in a virtual world where you could control things, or something like that... I don't remember much from it.

It's very convenient in any case. About a week ago I had a dream where I decided to do something a bit inappropriate. I knew it was a dream, so I figured it didn't matter what I did anyway. I came to regret it though, it all just turned embarrassing, so I undid it.
Damnagoras
EuroSpore 1948
EuroSpore 1948

Male
Spore Name : Damnagoras

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington on Tue May 10, 2011 8:13 am

I have only ever had un-intentional lucid dreams. and they are always semi-lucid, in that to an extent I can control what I do and I know I am dreaming, but I for some reason can't necessarily control everything around me e.g the floor falls away in front of me, meaning I can't go that way.

Rather frustrating.

Last edited by LordRemington on Tue May 10, 2011 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Thanks gen for the awesome sig
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : Reyes1

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/L0rdRemington?feature=mhw5

Back to top Go down

Post by Red-Indigo on Tue May 10, 2011 8:19 am

I read a similar article, although it was more about the function of sleep and dreaming, ie to sort out problems. Basicly, they put a guy on a skiing game, arcade style sort of thing. It was the same set of levels and he played it everyday for 2 hours. He was in a sleep clinic, where they monitored stuff and made him write down anything he coul remember.

He could remember having a dream about following his footsteps in the snow. The next day, he improved his score by a considerable amout. It supported that we use symbols that we recognise to solve everyday problems. Was interesting.

The only Lucid dreams I can recall are, one floating around a flooded city in a row boat... Running through a nearby local area, although i was dreaming I wasnt human... Annnd, lots of flying ones. I have to circle my arms fast to get anywhere though, somtimes I get stuck in the corner of my room Laughing

Red-Indigo
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay on Tue May 10, 2011 8:24 am

Damnagoras wrote:Lucid dreaming is awesome. Particularly if I'm having a nightmare or just a generally uncomfortable dream, because I can somehow hit Esc and load my last save.

That happens to me sometimes! Shocked Hit escape and quit during dreams.

It´s funny. Razz
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shardna on Tue May 10, 2011 7:28 pm

I have never heard of a Lucid dream before and I don't think I've ever had that kind of thing happen to me before.
Shardna
EuroSpore 1954
EuroSpore 1954

Female
Spore Name : Shardna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakiara on Wed May 11, 2011 8:41 am

Not sure if this counts or not.... At work I was sorting some papers in numerical order, yes fun stuff I know. I fell asleep and I continued to sort the papers, I woke up and a big junk of the papers were gone!

Amazing sigs made by G3NJI and World_Piece Very Happy
Sakiara
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Female
Spore Name : Sakiara

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Red-Indigo on Wed May 11, 2011 9:36 am

Wow... Thats like lucid sleep walking/sorting! At least it got it out the way Very Happy

Red-Indigo
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArticShock on Wed May 11, 2011 11:32 am

That's amazing Saki, hopefully you sorted all the papers to the right spot! Laughing

The only somewhat lucid dream that I recall was when I dreamed that I was a wizard(with a wand) and decided to use my powers. I chose to lift up semi trailers and summon a band of tubas. It was a really awkward dream... Unsure

I also realized that when I have a bad dream I can become aware and actually tell myself in my dream that I am dreaming and wake up. Really weird.
ArticShock
EuroSpore 1948
EuroSpore 1948

Male
Spore Name : ArticShock

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay on Wed May 11, 2011 6:51 pm

ArticShock wrote:
I also realized that when I have a bad dream I can become aware and actually tell myself in my dream that I am dreaming and wake up. Really weird.

This is another thing that happens to me as well. I sometimes understand it's a dream when there's a bad moment, where the stress level is increasing, and merely force myself to wake up and open my eyes.
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor on Wed May 11, 2011 7:40 pm

I'm always aware that I'm dreaming. In fact, I do a mental pinching to remind myself that the insanity that is going on isn't real, but I have yet to master the skill of ending it right there. But the again, my dreams in general are more entertaining than my real life.

What I find interesting, though, is that while I'm aware of my dreaming I always feel like - and this is gonna sound like a complete nerdy thing to say - a human host who is witnessing a Goa'uld taking over his body and helplessly watching everything he or she does through you.

Spoiler:
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vago on Thu May 12, 2011 9:40 pm

I had something like this just now. Though in a more extreme case. I think they refer to it as sleep paralysis.

It is no joke the scariest thing I have ever had happen to me. It kind of started with the sound of what I thought to be my Dad coming home. I could hear him insult me. Though its like 3:30 in the morning right now and he would have been home hours ago. I felt my body lock up and the figure of an old women appeared at the end of my bed. I couldn't scream, I couldn't even move. The voices continued with a little girl, but after that I managed to get up.

I don't know if I'll ever sleep again. ;-;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

Edit: Now that I have mostly regained my sanity I think I should probably say how this relates to Lucid dreaming. Sleep Paralysis is kind of like an acid trip gone wrong. The acid trip being the lucid dream. Usually a lucid dream comes about because the person having it didn't exactly fall straight asleep, they had a kind of moment of consciousness before it happened. Sleep paralysis is basically that happened but its the nightmare side rather than the dream side. Except rather than knowing you're dreaming you are awake while dreaming.

Several studies have concluded that many or most people experience sleep paralysis at least once or twice in their lives.[citation needed] A study conducted by Sedaghat F. et al. has investigated the prevalence of sleep paralysis among Iranian medical students. 24.1% of students reported experiencing sleep paralysis at least once in their lifetime. The same result was reported among Japanese, Nigerian, Kuwaiti, Sudanese and American students.[13]
Many people who commonly enter sleep paralysis also suffer from narcolepsy.[14] Some reports read that various factors increase the likelihood of both paralysis and hallucinations. These include:
Sleeping in a face upwards or supine position
Increased stress
Sudden environmental/lifestyle changes
A lucid dream that immediately precedes the episode.
Excessive consumption of alcohol coupled with lack of adequate sleep.[15]
In The Terror That Comes in the Night, folklorist and behavioral scientist David J. Hufford argues that sleep paralysis is related to an anomalous experience known in Newfoundland as "the Old Hag." According to Hufford, the Old Hag is "an experience with stable contents which is widespread, dramatic, realistic, and bizarre," and elements of the phenomenon cannot be fully explained either by psychology or culture. His works have explored the connection between the Old Hag and parapsychology in what he labels the "experience-centered approach" to hauntings.[16][17]
Vago
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : Omnivex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Trick on Fri May 13, 2011 3:14 am

I did a little research on the "Old Hag" and it's quite frightening, I'm glad I haven't experienced it.
Trick
EuroSpore 1992
EuroSpore 1992

Male
Spore Name : bobmarleyrulz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vago on Fri May 13, 2011 4:16 am

Apparentlyu the avergae person experiences it somewhere between 1 to 2 times. I can just say I'm looking forward to living nightmare round 2. D:
Vago
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : Omnivex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Red-Indigo on Fri May 13, 2011 4:37 am

Uhh, that sleep paralysis thing is scary! I think I might know someone who experienced somthing like this, they said they woke up and thought they saw someone at the end of the bed, the next thing they knew was they felt like they were drowning or being smothered, like a huge weight against them, unable to move.

They even reached for somthing to fight it off. They also said there was a rushing noise, like water or somthing. Then as quickly as it began, it stopped. Wierd.

At the time we thought it might have been an asthma attack or somthing, but they were fine immediatly afterwards.

Red-Indigo
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoD on Sat May 14, 2011 12:07 pm

Yes I've heard about this sleep paralysis. The only thing I've had that seems similar is when I woke up in my bed and there were shiny blue aliens in my room watching me. I think it was just a dream but it could've been sleep paralysis.

lol we should recreate Inception in our dreams. Smile
LoD
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Female
Spore Name : Meriadoc Brandybuck

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington on Sat May 14, 2011 12:28 pm

I remember watching a show about sleep paralysis a while. Doesn't sound pleasant. The two most common things to experience is the ghost or apparition at the end of the bed or alien abduction.

Thanks gen for the awesome sig
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : Reyes1

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/L0rdRemington?feature=mhw5

Back to top Go down

Post by world_piece on Sat May 14, 2011 5:18 pm

Whenever I lucid dream, I don't want to wake up. I push it for as long as possible.
world_piece
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Spore Name : world_piece

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Didzo on Sat May 14, 2011 9:14 pm

Arkanay wrote:
ArticShock wrote:

This is another thing that happens to me as well. I sometimes understand it's a dream when there's a bad moment, where the stress level is increasing, and merely force myself to wake up and open my eyes.

This is all that remains of my own lucid dreaming abilities these days.

...Except that one time when I did that and thought I woke up, only to realize I was still dreaming.

-------------------------

I've experienced sleep paralysis twice within the last year or so --- not a pleasant experience. The first time was a nightmare involving deafening noise and a horrific scream. My nightmares often include elements of noise. The second time was better since I wasn't dreaming at the time and I was aware of what it was. When I tried to move my limbs though, all I managed to get was a burning sensation but no movement.
-------------------------

Part of me wishes I could still remember my dreams and have lucid dreams, but another part of me feels that this inability to remember most dreams is for the best.
Didzo
EuroSpore 1948
EuroSpore 1948

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum