EuroSpore
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brand Loyalty

+12
Icedmask
bmpalmann
LordRemington
OneDeadSlime
Mysteryem
Red-Indigo
sjhorm
Jeff
Arkanay
Andeavor
Trick
Vektrix
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Brand Loyalty Empty Brand Loyalty

Post by Vektrix Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:53 am

Ok, guys, with Apple and various other companies inspiring such Brand Loyalty, are there any Brands you guys are loyal to? Any brands you hate? or are just a product by product person?

==========

When it comes to Brand Loyalty, I have TWO loyalties that have remained unbroken for some time.

Brand Loyal

Dell: Personally, I have had Dell PC's since 1999 - I had two non-dell laptops, bothy of which were appallingly bad and had their hard discs crash and memory stop being recognised. As a family, we got our first Dell in 1995, and none of our family have had any issues with any of our machines.

Creative: A company I have had an appreciation for since 1999 as well. Their Soundblaster series of soundcards is awesome, only Trust-16 even come close to their PC speakers sound quality and I believe their MP3 Players are of a superior sound quality to iPods - I even find their system easier to use.

Electronics

With most of the rest of my electronics I have little to no Brand Loyalty, just the best priced or best product will win out. My HP Printer/Scanner was a present, my LG TV was the best price of a brand that was a brand that I'd actually heard of, my last two mobiles have been Samsung, purely because they were the cheapest. I got a Sony PlayStation because that was what most of my friends had - now I suppose I have developed some form of Brand Loyalty to that product.

Food & Drink

I prefer Coca-Cola to Pepsi by taste, but get Pepsi because it is cheaper.

I buy Bertolli Butter because it is the only butter I have found that actually does spread straight from the fridge - believe me, I have friends and family who use different butters, and they all ruin the bread. You should not have to learn a different spreading technique for each butter.

I am not averse to Supermarket own-brands, and in some cases I cannot tell the difference or even think it is superior quality. Price pays a large role.

I buy Warburtons bread because it is of a superior quality and a local product to me. I am happy to pay a bit more for it because I make savings elsewhere.

Consumables

I only buy washing-up liquid etc. when it is on offer, it just so happens that Fairy is usually on offer when I need more of it.

I have no brand loyalty whatsoever with washing soap - I bought Persil because it was cheapest wash-for-wash, then it was Ariel, I bought Surf last time, same reason.

Clothes

I have a lot of Adidas and Reebok clothing - why? I have only one other loyalty, and that is Liverpool Football Club, their kit manufacturer in the past 30 years has either been Adidas or Reebok.

I get my trousers from Lands End because they DO MY SIZE and I like their range of trousers.

Shoes, ah well, I am size 13, so my loyalty is confined to whom,ever makes that size.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male
Spore Name : Vektrix / SporeMasterVek

http://www.eurospore.eu

Back to top Go down

Brand Loyalty Empty Re: Brand Loyalty

Post by Trick Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:25 am

Inspired by the Apple thread no doubt.

I'll give a few examples:

Boden clothing, as they have great clothing, and my brother works there so I can get clothes free Razz I quite like Next jeans too, but I tend to mix and match brands to whatever suits me best.

Also a Dell fan, all my PC's have been Dell's and they've never failed me.

Although I don't buy food for my family, I'm happy that we support local farmers, which we tend to stay loyal to, but of course we have to go to the supermarket to get other things which the farmers don't provide.

Trick
Trick
EuroSpore 1992
EuroSpore 1992

Male
Spore Name : bobmarleyrulz

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:47 am

Let's see...

When it came to video games, I stuck with Nintendo consoles and handhelds, from the NES to the Wii and all GameBoys there were. I broke this loyalty when I bought an XBox 360 last year.

With PCs I wasn't really loyal, but then I switched to Apple three years ago, of which I had an iMac and now a MacBook Pro. I still use Windows (like right now) but as a software only.

I always had a Nokia phone until I bought an iPhone last year. I guess you could call that a loyalty switch.

At the supermarket, I tend to buy commercial brands over in-store brands. We have a big chain here called Migros, which featured in-store brands only, so we had to buy the "real" stuff at another, "smaller" store like Denner or Coop. They have since loosened up and are selling more commercial brands - such as Coca Cola (I used to be a cocaholic) - while lumping together their in-store brands to make them more appealing. In fact, I now will reach for their own stuff, which is not only cheaper but pretty much the same thing as the commercial stuff.

Having trouble with clothes as well, especially trousers, I have to resort to Hugo Boss and other more expensive brands since they're only sold at PKZ around here. I've also have a tendency to buy Dockers pants on the occasion, and I never pass an H&M without having at least a quick snoop around.

Ever since we discovered IKEA so many years ago, I only really buy furniture and home decor there. It's affordable and they offer more than the same uppidty expensive style you generally find in other furniture stores around here. I can buy a complete bed with bedding and two nightstands for the same price of a standard-sized bed only at Interio.

For ages, I only wore Swatch watches. Last year, I bought an old-fashioned pocket watch to replace my last one but I've lost it in the renovation. However, I've recently joined D23, which includes a nice, little watch.

I don't know if that counts, but I prefer Disney and Pixar to Universal and Dreamworks. I have my favorites from all studios but I grew up with Disney films and TV shows and I find Pixar puts a little more love and effort into their films.

I find, when you've been used to a brand for so many years, it's hard to switch or even just appreciate the others. However, I've learned to have an open mind and if it really isn't my kind of brand, I don't have anything to say about it... like Android. ><
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:13 am

I don't care much for brands, not that I'm aware of, at least. It does irritate me, however, when brands are faked in order to sell more. I'd rather just buy something brandless than from Adidos, Neikee or FunStation.
Arkanay
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male
Spore Name : Arkanay

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:27 am

Dell computers are great. I'm using an Inspiron 530 desktop at the moment. It's going on four years old by now, it has Windows Vista, and yet I've never had any major problems with it (not even due to Vista - I don't get what all the fuss is about). Needless to say, Dell has my future business when it comes to computer stuff.
Jeff
Jeff
Regular
Regular

Male
Spore Name : Jeffrey94

Back to top Go down

Post by sjhorm Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:45 am

I'm like the Benedict Arnold of brands. I will use whatever is there. Pepsi, Coke, Tab, it's all good.
sjhorm
sjhorm
EuroSpore 1975
EuroSpore 1975

Male
Spore Name : sjhorm

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:02 pm

Jeff wrote:Dell computers are great. I'm using an Inspiron 530 desktop at the moment. It's going on four years old by now, it has Windows Vista, and yet I've never had any major problems with it (not even due to Vista - I don't get what all the fuss is about). Needless to say, Dell has my future business when it comes to computer stuff.

I have NEVER used Vista on a Dell Laughing

Ok, now for some brand disloyalty and confusion.

Microsoft

Well, apart from a Monopoly on Operating Systems on the PC my mai issue with Microsoft is the lack of compatibility of Internet Explorer. I have seen IE not work on a Vista machine because they are "..not compatible" Facepalm I have also not seen anymore buggy piece of software than it. It is less brand disloyalty, and more an aversion to certain products with Microsoft. Interestingly, the Xbox, although being Microsoft, a recent survey demonstrated that many people did not know this.

Apple

An innovative company and I appreciate this, I also am of the opinion that despite inventing many of the ideas, other brands very quickly make a better product of that type (iPad excluded). My biggest problem with Apple is the marketing... they turn so many of their customers into religious zealots, no Brand seems to promote so much lunacy and idiocy. You DO NOT NEED the latest version of the product, and their shops are not churches, Apple should not market like this.

Red Bull

Their adverts are appallingly bad for their drink (which they do not manufacture and that tastes like it has been drunk already). Red Bull does not give you wings, so can someone sue for false advertising, please? Red Bull are a marketing company, nothing more, nothing less. Their F1 team is another thing that used to annoy me too, however, they have grown on me, it is just the association with the drink that puts me off everything to do with them.

Nestle

For a long period of my life I boycotted their products, however, the only reason I do not get ANY Nestle products is there are better, cheaper alternatives out there. The reason I and many did boycott them was because they gave free milk powder to Africa, but did not do anything about the fact that there was no clean water in many of the areas they were supplying it to.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Red-Indigo Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:54 pm

I have to say, I'm with SJ on this one. It's all good. I'm really not a brand by brand person.

Food wise, I'd rather buy the supermarket own brand, usually they are cheaper and pretty much the same anyway. Also, like trick alot of our supermarkets supposrt local growers/produce so thats always an upside. The only exception I make is I usually buy yorkshire tea teabags, because of our horrible water >.<

Clothing range, I have no preference again. I buy what I like and I don't really care if it's designer or non named, as long as I like it and its comfy, I'm happy.

Computer wise, I have a HP at the moment, I'm more selective usually over these sorts of things because they are a much larger investment than what food im nomming. Again, though, I don't discredit any computers on brand (unless they are a compaq).

The only thing I am picky about is cosmetics. It's not really a 'brand' issue, but I prefer to buy ones that haven't been tested on animals. More of an ethical issue, but I would rather pay a little more than less for a well known brand that has been tested. Not to say I haven't used tested products before, I just try not to.

On apple. Meh. I have an I-pod and I use it but if it broke and I found somthing just as good and it want apple, I'd be fine with that too.

Red-Indigo
Red-Indigo
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Female
Spore Name : Orbixitron

Back to top Go down

Post by Mysteryem Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:47 pm

I'm not really loyal to any brands (except one), if it works well, does the job and doesn't cost an arm and a leg then it's what I will buy.

The only brand I am loyal to is Kookaburra for hockey sticks, since I just love their designs and their decent prices, unlike some of the other nice looking and feeling hockey sticks.

For disloyalty however.

Apple has got to be my biggest disloyalty, I have never bought anything from apple, and I do not believe I own anything from apple. I have a great dislike for the designs, styles and functionality of their products. Lack of many buttons and decent controls, and I won't even go into how much I hate capacitive touch screens, not being able to use a stylus is just horrible due to the lack of any even near to accurate precision. Sleek and buttonless desings are just stupid imo. More buttons equals more control.

I also make sure I stay well away from intel graphics cards (often found in laptops) since they have very poor support and very bad drivers, especially for opengl.
Mysteryem
Mysteryem
Regular
Regular

Male
Spore Name : Mysteryem

http://www.mysterymayhem.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:51 am

Oh, I steer clear of Graphics Cards that are integrated anyway, Mystery. I have no loyalty in the area, since I have NVidia and Radeon Graphics cards (I think is is 2 of each). The Laptop I am using right now has a 512mb NVidia in it, my old desktop as a 32mb Nvidia and I have two 256mb Radeons in my other desktop.

Like I said, their marketing strategy and the fact that there are better products out there keeps me away from Apple. However, must be pointed out that Apple were involved in getting Pixar up and running, so they can't be all bad.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:03 am

If it weren't for Apple, most of Hollywood wouldn't exist. Just look at the computers they're using in film and TV. Although, they always put a sticker on the Apple logo or use a colorful enclosure so they won't have to pay extra for the product placement (or however that works).

On the Big Bang Theory, which I think is using a variety of brands, Sheldon is using a MacBook with a red enclosure and a Windows-like wallpaper (as seen in a closeup while iChatting with Amy Farah-Fowler) to make us believe he's using a regular PC laptop. They're not fooling this particular audience. :p

Also, notice that they always cover half or most of the logo or name when using a brand product. Most frequently, I've seen Nutella or Lays chips but only because I recognize the jar or package.
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by OneDeadSlime Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:50 am

If it weren't for Apple, most of Hollywood wouldn't exist. Just look at the computers they're using in film and TV. Although, they always put a sticker on the Apple logo or use a colorful enclosure so they won't have to pay extra for the product placement (or however that works).

This is a naive thing to say. Hollywood existed long before Apple. If Apple computers didn't exist, others would do the trick. This is like saying, without iTunes we wouldn't buy online music (even if other music clients didn't exist, which they do).

Last edited by OneDeadSlime on Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:54 am; edited 1 time in total
OneDeadSlime
OneDeadSlime
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : warmslime / SporeMasterSlime

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:51 am

Product Placement is paid for by the Brand - that is one of the ways money is made by TV/Film companies. Sometimes it is a simple "barter" in that the brand will supply expertise or products that are required for storyline for free - in exchange for the product placement.

I believe the MacBook appears in more TV Shows/Films than any other because House has one, Sheldon has one (allbeit as you described, Andy) and almost every advert that has a laptop that isn't for a laptop has a MacBook. I think this is partly Apple's marketing and partly because PC Laptops are made by so many companies - Dell, Sony, Toshiba, HP, Time, Pico etc.

Personally, however, I see it has Apple v.s. Dell - Apple dominates marketing within films etc. However, I see Dells everywhere in everyday use at workplaces.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Red-Indigo Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:53 am

That's a good point andeavor. I never actually noticed that with the Big Bang Theory, went over my head, although thinking about it I always recognise things as 'hey that's supposed to be a whatever' in films/shows but never realise what they have done to change it. Quasi product placement. It works.

I remember on a lot of the BBC channels, especially things like Blue Peter or Art Attack, they would say 'Take a regular juice bottle...' and the Robinsons logo would be duct taped over or somthing. Everyone knew what that was, but they always covered it to cover themselves.
Red-Indigo
Red-Indigo
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Female
Spore Name : Orbixitron

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:57 am

The BBC has strict guidelines as a non-commercial Entity, therefore Product Placement is very strictly monitored. And it is not the BBC itself that states this, it is part of the TV Licencing agreement with the Government.

However, shows that review or look into brands or products such as Watchdog, Top Gear and Click get away with it because they do not stick to one brand or are investigating stuff brought to their attention by people who pay the Licence fee.

I remember a programme about Wine and Beer presented by James May and Oz Clarke where they kept on saying Guiness, but were at pains to say "The Black Stuff" or "Stout". In some cases it is just close to impossible not to mention the brand.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:06 am

OneDeadSlime wrote:This is a naive thing to say. Hollywood existed long before Apple. If Apple computers didn't exist, others would do the trick. This is like saying, without iTunes we wouldn't buy online music (even if other music clients didn't exist, which they do).
I was just pointing out that most post-productions and CGI studios are using Apple computer and software due to the unifying accessibility, which also made it more available to those joining the ever-changing Hollywood bandwagon.
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:54 am

I don't really have any brand loyalties. I buy whatever the best value, for the best price is.

The only sort of brand loyalty I have is xbox. I originally had a gamecube years ago, but sold it to buy an xbox. When the xbox 360 and ps3 were announced, it wasn't really a choice for me. I immediately went for the 360 without really reading into the ps3.

Mostly because my favourite game series were on the xbox. And when they bring out the xbox 720 or whatever they plan on calling it, I'll most likely get that as well.

I guess my family also to a degree has a loyalty to HP computers. Basically every computer we've gotten since 2001 has been a HP (5 in total I think) with the exception of our AlienWare computer.

Not really brand loyalty though. I just happens that we seem to keep buying HPs. When looking for a new computer, we don't go "well lets look what HP have". We just look for computers and somehow always end up with a HP. Eh. Never had an issues with our HPs other than the standard issues that over time arise with computers.

Last edited by LordRemington on Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:10 am; edited 2 times in total
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : Reyes1

https://www.youtube.com/user/L0rdRemington?feature=mhw5

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:39 am

Yeah, I imagine a lot of the PS3 v.s. Xbox thing depends on the games that are exclusive to them. Pro Evolution Soccer used to be just on PS3, then I got into Resistance.

Are, so you have a Dell PC (AlienWare is owned by Dell).
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:13 am

Vektrix wrote:Yeah, I imagine a lot of the PS3 v.s. Xbox thing depends on the games that are exclusive to them. Pro Evolution Soccer used to be just on PS3, then I got into Resistance.

Are, so you have a Dell PC (AlienWare is owned by Dell).

I was aware of that. I suppose that technically would mean yes we do own a dell Razz its now the least used of our pcs. Me and my borther both have laptops and our hp desktop is used for internet, so the old alienware (which is now starting to show its age) has become alot less used. We originally just got it as a gaming pc.
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : Reyes1

https://www.youtube.com/user/L0rdRemington?feature=mhw5

Back to top Go down

Post by bmpalmann Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:22 am

When it comes to computers and MP3/4 players I'm pretty loyal to Apple, for a start i find Apple stuff easier to use Razz However don't think i'm an Apple nut, i'm quite critical of the iPhone 4 and iPads Razz

Headphones i stick by Klipsch who do really good headphones with a warranty on them (which is important for since i go through headphones fairly quickly)

Trousers are quite hard for me to find, so i suppose i've got loyalty to Topman on that front since they're one of the few shops that acknowledge that you can be tall and skinny Razz

Here's an odd one: Sausages - loyal to Pickering's in the Norwich Market, they do some of the best sausages you'll eat anywhere, and that's a guarantee Wink

For just about everything else i don't think i have loyalties Razz
bmpalmann
bmpalmann
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : bmpalmann/ Remyxomatosis

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:19 am

AlienWare, Remi, is designed specifically for high-end graphics, primarily for the gaming market. However, since AlienWare allows for more memory, better graphics cards etc. as a side effect it is awesome for everything.

Topman where I live don't think you can be be tall, let alone skinny.

I imagine food is the area of most loyalty, and of the most fickle loyalty too. Usually, when times are hard, food is the first area to be effected - it was with me. I stopped buying Heinz Soup and Beans, and opted for cheaper versions - which I must say introduced me to a nicer soup actually. The only Heinz product I must buy as Heinz are Ketchup and Salad Cream.

Ben, I think like everything, one person easy to use, is another person's not so easy to use. Equally, i think you get better sound quality from some non-Apple products, yet some think the opposite, I also know a few who can't tell the difference. The reason so many Brands can command loyalty at all is because each Human, though 99.999999% the same as the next human, this somehow yields Billions and Billions of combinations of abilities, likes and personalities.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Icedmask Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:09 am

Loyal

Apple

I got a mac and the iPod classic and those are probably the two devices I use most in my daily life. On the iPod it isn't much to say except that it is the only 160 GB mp3 player that is comfortable and easy to use. It's two things about the Mac. One is that the design is simply a lot more better and straightforward then Windows 7 (a very important thing for me personally). Second is that I feel that the mac is better on all the creative stuff such as web-design, photography and it runs great with the whole Adobe pack.

Sony Ericsson

I like solid, easy to use phones and I think smart-phones are just a waste of money. While some of my friends seems to throw money out the window because of their broken smart-phones, I have had the same Sony Ericsson K810i for soon four years. You can call with it and send text-messages and play Tetris. I need nothing more.

ESP LTD

I love these guitars, if you are to buy a guitar for the first time be sure to get an $250 ESP LTD F-50. It's a lot guitar for the money, and the neck is simply fantastic. The only backside is that the sound could be a bit grungy if you use a cheap amplifier. But with a really good amplifier you barely notice difference between a relatively cheap LTD and a guitar three times more expensive. My next guitar will be an ESP, no question about it.

Adobe

If I am to do anything creatively, I rarely use anything else. Adobe is (really) expensive but it's usually the market standards or just beneath. I would never have paid so much for Photoshop if was just to tweak a little on images, but if you want to be doing it on a little more professional level then it's great. Easy programs to understand also, If you understand one Adobe program the 15-20 others is no problem Razz
Icedmask
Icedmask
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : Icedmask

Back to top Go down

Post by Didzo Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:50 am

My brand loyalties are more due to familiarity than anything. If a brand makes a product that works for me, I will default to it if I need another of that same product if I don't know what else to get.

I suppose the biggest brand loyalty I have is to Puma. I have a whole lot of their shoes. They are high quality, have a unique look, and feel nice and tight.
Didzo
Didzo
EuroSpore 1948
EuroSpore 1948

Back to top Go down

Post by world_piece Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:16 am

I think my only brand Loyalty is to Canon for their photography gear.

Not the best warranties with their lenses but the quality and durability is worth the price over a 3rd party equivalent.
world_piece
world_piece
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Spore Name : world_piece

Back to top Go down

Post by TheEmilion Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:48 am

My loyalty is against Xbox 360.
TheEmilion
TheEmilion

Male