EuroSpore
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Metaphysical Human Behavior

4 posters

Go down

Metaphysical Human Behavior Empty Metaphysical Human Behavior

Post by Andeavor Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:00 am

There is a phenomenon I've observed pretty much all of my life. Watching movies and television shows from all over the world, I noticed that we all have a basic behavior pattern from growing up to growing old. Much of it is based on cultural behavior and the transference through the media, but a lot of these patterns and behaviors seem to be "metaphysically transcendent", apparent in people across the world who've never met.

For example, no matter what different languages we speak, we all use the same kind of facial movements or "sign language" to express ourselves to others without having to speak. Like when you want someone to finish up a speech or haste, you make a winding movement with your finger, or if you want to hint to someone to stop talking about something, you give them the "stop talking about this" look.

Then, there is the way our families behave. For example, every time I watch a movie with Diane Keaton, I find she does a lot of things as her "mom" characters my mom usually does. The way she talks to her children, the way she acts in certain household situations. Sure, it's not always the same characteristics and not applicable to every mother, but there is that "mom thing" she does everyone will recognize in their own mother.

Not only that, we also use the same phrases and expressions sometimes. You can't always translate them one to one but they all mean the same thing, whether it's a joke or a metaphor.

I also noticed, it doesn't really take much to appear different culturally. I mean, there is always a difference within one's culture (east/west, north/south, city/country) but if you compare them internationally, they can come pretty close.

So, what are your observations and do you feel there is something behind it all?
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

Back to top Go down

Metaphysical Human Behavior Empty Re: Metaphysical Human Behavior

Post by OneDeadSlime Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:08 am

For example, no matter what different languages we speak, we all use the same kind of facial movements or "sign language" to express ourselves to others without having to speak. Like when you want someone to finish up a speech or haste, you make a winding movement with your finger, or if you want to hint to someone to stop talking about something, you give them the "stop talking about this" look.

That's not completely true. Sign language is largely universal, yet most of it isn't there by birth.
OneDeadSlime
OneDeadSlime
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : warmslime / SporeMasterSlime

Back to top Go down

Post by Didzo Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:36 am

Paul Ekman did a very famous study that proved that facial expressions are universal across all cultures and are therefore biological in origin. People are genetically "programmed" to express emotion and feelings in a certain way, at least facially.
Didzo
Didzo
EuroSpore 1948
EuroSpore 1948

Back to top Go down

Post by Red-Indigo Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:49 pm

I guess its down to evolution largely, we have certain expressions in certain situations that carry a base response. How we elaborate on that I guess is down to the cultural aspect.

I get the look thing as well, like the stop this topic look that we all do. It varys slightly from person to person, but like any animal, its a basic body language. I should imagine it comes from what our muscles do when relaxed/stressed and it's just evolved from there.

What I find interesting is the little things we do, like hand movements and so on when talking. Taking the example of trying to hasten what I, or someone else is saying, I notice everyone moves their hands to invite the person to finish (or in the case of yourself to show you aren't finished).

Iv'e noticed that some cultures do this more than others, for example a lot of european cultures have a lot of gesture with their hands whereas some eastern cultures are a little more reserved in that way. They still do it though. It's interesting where that came from as it's argubly more evolved than a simple response to stimulus although just as commonly observed.
Red-Indigo
Red-Indigo
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Female
Spore Name : Orbixitron

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:16 pm

I think the gesturing comes form cultures where the people had to vow for attention at home and on the street, while those from more "civilized" cultures with rules and a plethora of social conduct rely on their words and expressions.

The gestures extend the words to a visual cue, which makes it appear more passionate.
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down