EuroSpore
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Back in the day.

+7
LordRemington
world_piece
Trick
Mysteryem
Vektrix
MarkyDMan
TheEmilion
11 posters

Go down

Back in the day. Empty Back in the day.

Post by TheEmilion Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:25 am

http://www.zxspectrum.net

It strikes me how awful gaming was in the "good old days". I mean, a platformer where you can't move in midair. Thanks for screwing up the whole game.

Discuss your experiences with old junk.
TheEmilion
TheEmilion

Male
Spore Name : koopakilla

Back to top Go down

Back in the day. Empty Re: Back in the day.

Post by MarkyDMan Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:38 am

'Old junk' is a very brutally used phrase. You're judging them based on what we have today, even though these were the first ever consoles - without them, we wouldn't have the advanced gaming we have today.

Bit of a sweeping statement calling the things that revolutionised everything 'old junk' :/

[/thread]
MarkyDMan
MarkyDMan
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : MarkyDMan......obviously :D
Location : Surfing the web... Awesome Points: 99,453,475,463,208,543 Mood: Inspired

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:57 am

Two of my favourites are from the very early 90's - and in both cases have had at least 3 sequels, the most recent in 2006 (Railroad Tycoon) and 2010 (Civilization). As Marky said, compared to todays standards, the vast majority of "Old Junk" is just that. I would argue that Mario and Sonic were never good.

I would suggest that 99.9% of today's games could trace their routes to a game made between 1985 and 1995.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male
Spore Name : Vektrix / SporeMasterVek

http://www.eurospore.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Mysteryem Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:01 am

Can YOU move in midair? If anything, the old platformers had it right. It seems to be magic powers that allow people to shorten or extend their jumps when already in mid air, and in some cases, reverse direction entirely. Yes, you can decide how far you're going to jump beforehand, but most games take this way too far.

In my opinion most older games are far better than anything you get these days. Shall we compare deus ex with HR? The original spyro series with what we have today? Sonic unleashed with Sonic Adventure and SA2? The older games dominate the field imo, it's only the very few gems today that stand close today.
Mysteryem
Mysteryem
Regular
Regular

Male
Spore Name : Mysteryem

http://www.mysterymayhem.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Trick Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:05 am

Jazz JackRabbit 2, 1999.

Gotta love that game.
Trick
Trick
EuroSpore 1992
EuroSpore 1992

Male
Spore Name : bobmarleyrulz

Back to top Go down

Post by world_piece Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:17 am

TheEmilion wrote:http://www.zxspectrum.net

It strikes me how awful gaming was in the "good old days". I mean, a platformer where you can't move in midair. Thanks for screwing up the whole game.

Discuss your experiences with old junk.

Without 'old junk', you wouldn't be typing this thread on a keyboard and posting it on a webpage.

You live in an attic or something? Computer / Gaming history is fascinating and worth a read.
world_piece
world_piece
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Spore Name : world_piece

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:55 pm

Some of my favourite and most cheerish games are old games. And if anything there has been a resurgance in older style games in the last few years.

Remember without those "junk" games we wouldn't have the games we have today. Gaming has developed over the years from those old games. And also you are speaking from a younger perspective. You are 14, thus when you began experiencing games, you are used to the newer styles of games rather than the old ones. Chances are 20 years from now, people will look back and say the same thing you say about games that are considered old now. Basically what Marky said

I recently found an old N64 and Sega systems in a game trader store for basically no money and I am seriously considering buying them for the sake of the fact that I loved so many games from them. I'd also love to find a super nintendo.

And there are more than a few old pc games I'd like to get my hands on (which would be easy as these days some of the early to mid 90's games are free on the internet). Rollercoaster tycoon and the original GTA are two good examples of old old games I still enjoy. Hell I used to, and probably would still love if I played it, Frogger. Played it a ton when I was little.

Also want to buy the original diablo soon and give it another try.
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : Reyes1

https://www.youtube.com/user/L0rdRemington?feature=mhw5

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:06 am

This list is from memory, there may be earlier games that are the common ancestor.

Early Game ---> Current Crop

Pole Position (BBC Master c 1986) ---> Gran Turismo 5 / Formula 1 2011 and pretty much any racing game.

Wolfenstein 3D (c. 1990) ---> Doom, Quake, Unreal, Halo, Resistance, Call of Duty, Operation Flashpoint, Grand Theft Auto, Unchartered.... endless list of games that can trace there roots to this game.

Citadel / Castle Master (c. 1986) ---> World of Warcraft, DarkSpore, Diablo etc. Pretty much all RPG games can trace their roots back here - and probably beyond to various card games actually.

The Manager (c. 1989) and Sensible Soccer (c. 1988) ---> All Soccer, Football and in fact any team sport based games can trace their roots back here and I think further, since there were text based management games in the early 80's.

SimEarth ---> Spore via The Sims, SimCity (Maxis cornered the market on this I'm afraid).

I cannot think of a single modern Video Game that cannot trace a least one element back to a game in the 70's or 80's. Saying today's games excellent and old games are bad is the equivalent of saying "Homo Erectus is a bad species" because without them we wouldn't be here.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by TyrannoFan Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:53 am

OP has horrible taste. Like really horrible taste.

Without that 'old junk' you wouldn't be posting this right now.
TyrannoFan
TyrannoFan
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Male
Spore Name : Creaturepre

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:07 pm

LordRemington wrote:I recently found an old N64 and Sega systems in a game trader store for basically no money and I am seriously considering buying them for the sake of the fact that I loved so many games from them. I'd also love to find a Super Nintendo.
Don't say that. I remember exactly when they showed the first footage of Super Mario 64 and how I was in heaven for seeing that. Surprised

I've come to the age where I realize that the younger generations have missed out on a integral part of gaming; the evolution. You can only really understand or appreciate what you have if you know or even remember its history. That applies to me as well as I would look to my older cousins or even parents when it comes to things like the typewriter/keyboard. However, I'm old enough to remember the evolution of the mobile phone... anyone remember how heavy and "stationary" car phones were? And how about the first fax machines for home use? Those things sure were noisy, let alone computer printers...

A lot of gaming mechanisms (running, jumping, climbing, etc.) have changed and become more outrageous with every new game or sequel thereof. It's a natural thing as we initially expect anything to follow the present technology to be better. So the normal jump becomes the super jump, the sprinting gets upgraded to the boost and the player character becomes more and more invulnerable to enemy hits - and if that all fails you open the console and activate god mode.
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomographics Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:26 am

Well my first every gaming console was a Nintendo Gameboy! It seems like ages since I played on one. The first game I got on it was Yoshi's Island. BTW I still think that the Gameboy is better than all of the Nintendo DS put together.

Tomographics

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaroas Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:34 am

Well, I can't really relate to many of the old games, as I kind of grew up in the era of 3D and such. But I sometimes go over my grandparents house, and one of the only sources of entertainment is my dad's NES from when he was in high school. We used to play Legend of Zelda (The original) and other classic games on there, which I still consider to be the best games I've played beside a select few *Cough* Minecraft, Spore, TF2 *Cough*.
Zaroas
Zaroas
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : Zaroas

Back to top Go down

Post by TheEmilion Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:06 am

I love you guys. You're missing the entire point of the thread.
TheEmilion
TheEmilion

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:13 am

Then what is the point of the thread?
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by TyrannoFan Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:40 am

Obviously it's to discuss flaws and bad experiences in old games. I think.

That's what I thought when I looked at the thread anyway.
TyrannoFan
TyrannoFan
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Male
Spore Name : Creaturepre

Back to top Go down

Post by TheEmilion Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:50 pm

Someone gets it. Hunf
TheEmilion
TheEmilion

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down