EuroSpore
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can anyone actually relate to a video game character?

+2
LordRemington
Andeavor
6 posters

Go down

Can anyone actually relate to a video game character? Empty Can anyone actually relate to a video game character?

Post by Andeavor Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:20 am

I recently came across a really good article about whether it matters if the main protahonist of a vidoe game should or should not be relatable to the players themselves:

I originally sat down to write an article about the lack (and mistreatment) of certain demographics in video game protagonists, the obvious examples being the almost nonexistence of homosexuality and the borderline disrespectful way this medium treats females. Then, a new thought occurred to me: Are any of these heroes actually speaking to me? When I play a game is the main character supposed to be someone I see myself in? Am I really supposed to relate to these people?

I am a white, straight, male. The only reason I tell you this is to show that I am as far away from any major minority group as possible, which, right or wrong, apparently makes me a lot like most video game protagonists. The problem is that I’m not. I love Gears of War and Uncharted, but I am nothing like Marcus or Drake...So why are developers trying to make me think I am?

You could argue that the aim of the main character isn’t to mirror the player but to represent ideals that we strive for, to be the superheroes we wish we were. That’s a fair point, but if that’s true then why do they have to be so uniform in appearance? If Marcus Fenix is supposed to represent strength in front of tremendous odds and the perseverance of will, then why does the color of his skin or his sexual preference matter? Would he be any less of a badass if he were black or a woman?

Cole MacGrath, the main character in the Infamous series, has the same issues as Marcus. He’s white, he has little hair, and he has never left an impression on me. He’s a cool character, but why does he have to look just like Sam Fisher (Splinter Cell), Nathan Hale (Resistance), Alec Mason (Red Faction: Guerilla), and Alex Mercer (Prototype)?

I think I’ve been dancing around the issue enough, so I’ll just say it: We need to move beyond this tendency for everyone to be white, male, and straight.

Please do not take what I just said to mean that I think every game should have a rainbow of characters that sit around a campfire solving their issues through healthy discourse. It would be nice if the real world worked that way, but not all my games. I still want to shoot bad guys, fight aliens, solve mysteries, and get in car chases; I just think the characters performing these actions don’t have to be copies of the character that did it in every other game.

Can anyone actually relate to a video game character? Baldguys

More games are now allowing for character creation, which is a step in the right direction. This way, all players can be given an outlet to put themselves into the experience. The Mass Effect series is a good example of this. However, the public face of Mass Effect is still a problem. The Commander Shepard that’s on the cover and in all the commercials is another generic, bald, white guy.

I really do not want to belittle the hard work that people put into making games and crafting their stories, but this medium has to evolve. Maybe we, the consumers, are not totally blame-free in this. Maybe we haven’t proven that we’re willing to play a game with a protagonist that may not look like us.

Either way, I don’t want all my video game characters to be white, straight, males. I want them to be complete people with dreams and desires. If they have those things, then their skin color, sexual preference, and gender won’t matter. Then we’ll have characters that not only speak to me, but to everyone. Hopefully we can get to a point where this industry doesn’t just celebrate a black protagonist or a gay protagonist...because it will just be a protagonist, and more importantly, we will be able to see parts of ourselves in any of them.
http://bitmob.com/articles/who-do-these-characters-represent

What are your thoughts on this subject and do you think it's important to make the player character a more familiar person to you or the game story itself?

In my own opinion, I don't really have to relate to a player character as long as they fit into the game world and storyline, but what does put me off in most cases is when they try to include a mandatory romance and don't find a way to circumvent it without making you look like a complete donkey.
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

Back to top Go down

Can anyone actually relate to a video game character? Empty Re: Can anyone actually relate to a video game character?

Post by LordRemington Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:52 pm

Don't know why I didn't notice this earlier.

I agree somewhat with the article, however the sexuality things seems a bit out of place compared the the race and gender issue. In most games where the protagonist is male (or female for that matter), you can maybe assume they are straight, but majority of the games I play, the sexuality of the main character is rarely brought up in the story or even hinted at.

I do agree that the typical white, rugged good looking protagonist thing is getting old, but in recent years I can think of more than a few note worthy games where the protagonist is neither white and/or male. Also more and more games are giving customization of characters, rather than having set characters, so you can choose to be whatever you want.

As for the problem currently that is brought up, I think the reason why they go with the typical white masculine male is simply and sadly because it will offend the least amount of people. Generally you don't often here people complaing about a character being too masculine or for being caucasian, but if you switch that up, you are bound to make someone angry (gender and race to a lesser extent than sexuality) and the game developers don't want to deal with that. Its sad, but I just think game developers are too afraid of causing an uproar with people who can't accept social change.

As for your question Andy, I agree, I don't normally care about the repeatability of the character so much as whether the character makes sense in the story. Master Chief is a good example. He as a character is perfectly suited to the role and yet I don't really find him relatable in any way other than he's fighting for the good guys.
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : Reyes1

https://www.youtube.com/user/L0rdRemington?feature=mhw5

Back to top Go down

Can anyone actually relate to a video game character? Empty Re: Can anyone actually relate to a video game character?

Post by sjhorm Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:01 am

Link was always supposed to be an actual link to you, but I find it hard to relate to a green-clad elvish-looking kid who lives near a talking tree
sjhorm
sjhorm
EuroSpore 1975
EuroSpore 1975

Male
Spore Name : sjhorm

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:45 am

Nope, never related to a character in any video game I have ever played, that is partially why I play them.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male
Spore Name : Vektrix / SporeMasterVek

http://www.eurospore.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by TheEmilion Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:46 pm

A Goomba in Mario. I keep getting stomped on, too.
TheEmilion
TheEmilion

Male
Spore Name : koopakilla

Back to top Go down

Post by bmpalmann Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:52 am

Vektrix wrote:Nope, never related to a character in any video game I have ever played, that is partially why I play them.

Same here Razz
bmpalmann
bmpalmann
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : bmpalmann/ Remyxomatosis

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:32 pm

bmpalmann wrote:
Vektrix wrote:Nope, never related to a character in any video game I have ever played, that is partially why I play them.

Same here Razz

Besides, how can *I* relate to a Formula 1 Driver, Footballer, Manager, Assassin, Marine, Soldier etc. I have not experienced any of their worlds ever except in video games.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male
Spore Name : Vektrix / SporeMasterVek

http://www.eurospore.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down