Customer Service isn't what it used to be

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Customer Service isn't what it used to be

Post by Andeavor on Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:09 pm

As I have mentioned before, I'm currently trying to digitalize all my photographs and I fail to find an efficient way to doing so. Yesterday, I went to our local photography shop and asked if they offered the service to scan in all my photos for a fee, well at first the lady looked at me like I asked what this week's next lottery numbers will be and then told me they just had someone order that service for 5 Francs a print. Mental

I then asked her whether she knew of a specific scanner I could buy that does that job for me. The saleswoman asked me if I couldn't just use a regular flatbed scanner and I told her I neither have the time or energy to scan 500+ prints manually. She then proceeded to call her colleague with whom the whole spiel started anew.

Not even her geeky colleague knew of the handheld photo scanner, which I came upon during my research earlier that day. In the end he had the gaul to ask me what I wanted to digitalize all my photos for. I guess the words photoshop, emailing and digital fotoalbum aren't in his vocabulary. Hunf

I mean seriously, they run a photography shop and know less about digital photography than an amateur like me? I just sat at my computer and googled.

I remember back 15 to 20 years ago, sales personnel would jump through hoops and over obstacles just to find out where they could refer you to if they could fulfill their duty. Nowadays, because we have computers and iPhones, they think you should know better.

In conclusion, it's not the first time I ran into a wall at customer service and I still won't call a number because I'd surely be greeted by a robotic voice that eventually would have to lead me back to a human operator who will then proceed to connect me with the proper person to speak to.

In the past 5 years, I lucked out twice where I patiently waited for an hour and a half (or less) to be greeted by a nice, local (!) human operator who would patiently go through whatever issue I had, successfully.

That was the best customer service I had. Thumbs Up

Today, I'm going downtown and hope to find that handheld photo scanner. Reliable sources have told me they may have seen it in the big store. Wish me luck!

Spoiler:
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Customer Service isn't what it used to be

Post by Zaroas on Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:07 pm

I've had service like that...
In Wal-Mart... Laughing
It was actually pretty funny. They got this videogame a day before it came out, and I grabbed the videogame off the shelf and the guy at the cash register didn't even know that it was a videogame - He thought it was a CD. Facepalm
Good luck finding it - You'll need it. I ran all around town just to find a printer - Let's hope the same doesn't happpen for you.
Zaroas
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : Zaroas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bmpalmann on Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:50 am

If you want custommer service go to an Apple Store, the people there are just awesome, when i was getting my Ipod Classic fixed they offered to keep the store open so i could get the cash required for the repairs and also they were able to deal with the problem very quickly after identifying it.

On the other hand the service in a place like Curry's electronics, is absolutly dire. They wouldn't know what a computer hard drive was unless someone smashed them around the face with one! Shocked

Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : bmpalmann/ Remyxomatosis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaroas on Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:13 am

The service at the Apple Store is the best, I agree.
Zaroas
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : Zaroas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor on Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:38 am

UPDATE: So I went downtown to the big store and guess what, they didn't have what I was looking for. They did however have a bulky POS that would have only cost me more money and effort to use.

And the service was less than useless. One of the knowledgeable staff member was on her break, the guy standing next to me was too busy fumbling with stickers and such and the guy who was able to help me had no idea what I was looking for.

Sometimes, I get the feeling they don't want to sell me anything. But what really gets me is the fact that they don't even take the time to find out what you're looking for let alone be informed about the products they sell.

Anyway, I have to resort to ordering that scanner on Amazon Germany and have it delivered to a relative's German work address... why do things have to be that complicated?

They just opened an Apple store in Zurich, I completely forgot about that. Facepalm

Spoiler:
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix on Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:41 am

Customer Service really annoys me. I have worked in Customer Service roles before (but usually in a technical Business-to-Business role). Whenever I deal with any customer service person I am always tempted to tell them that there job is astoundingly easy if you actually aply common sense.

Be polite and be patient.
Ask appropriate questions to gauge what the problem or request is.
Understand whether or not you can deal with it.
If yes, deal with it using simple, plain language - job done, satisfied customer.
If no, either take ownership of the issue and get back to them after finiding out the answer (this is only applicable to telephon CS though). OR, establish who can help, if needs be ask a colleague what you should do (use hold if on the phone).
Politely inform the customer that your colleague will along in a minute (or if on the phone, transfer them through or inform the customer to expect a call from your colleague who can sort it out).
Never give fixed times unless you absolutely can.

I know that may sound complicated, but none of these skills require a university education, or even teaching. They are all sensible skills that everyone uses - on a daily basis sometimes. I have been asked how to do something on a computer, I admit if I do not know, I then give realistic expectations - either by saying I'll find out or by saying that someone else my friend or colleague knows is the person to ask. It is not rocket science.

An amazing sig by the great MarkyDMan.
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male
Spore Name : Vektrix / SporeMasterVek

View user profile http://www.eurospore.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington on Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:16 am

ugh, the worst customer service I ever recieve always involves either, my internet or my computer. Always seem to go to a machine, which then sends you to an operater (99% of the time its someone in india) and then I have to explain 9 times what the simple problem is for the person to find a way to fix it...

More specificallt... the end all worst customer service I have ever had the displeasure of enduring was when I ordered my AlienWare computer. I ordered it off the net, it said it would take between 3 to for 4 weeks to get here..... I wait 4 weeks..... nothing.. So I call the alienware company, they say oh don't worry it must be a small delay... o.k then.... another week rolls by. I call back....... again, oh its probably just a delay, don't worry about it....... fine then.... a months rolls by... now I'm pissed, I call back and ask where the ^&$% is my computer, she said look we have important things to deal with and we can't always get the computers to people in the time frame specified... hmmm well at this point its well over double the time specified... another TWO months go by before I get my computer.... once I recieve it, I called them back and told me, this was the worst business practice I've ever heard of and the company should be ashamed of their lack of customer service....... she said have a nice day

Thanks gen for the awesome sig
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : Reyes1

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/L0rdRemington?feature=mhw5

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix on Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:20 am

Alienware is owned by Dell. They have a bad rep for customer service. But a good rep for not needing to call them

An amazing sig by the great MarkyDMan.
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male
Spore Name : Vektrix / SporeMasterVek

View user profile http://www.eurospore.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down