EuroSpore
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

11 Reasons why Spore Fame is NOT all that great

+35
Drew980
Trick
UltimateZob
Dormin
Didzo
Shardna
jellyman12
Descardion
world_piece
bmpalmann
Illusionary
MarkyDMan
Gen
Vago
OneDeadSlime
Mr. Dr. Prof. Walrus
ProbablynotHax
Andeavor
Sakiara
LoD
Copperlou
MjrGlory
LordRemington
Kevin92
embercoral
Frostmoon
Xaesheir
Mudo
TheBuzzard
TyrannoFan
Icedmask
Vektrix
Tyranidking
Arkanay
SuperLoki
39 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

11 Reasons why Spore Fame is NOT all that great - Page 2 Empty Re: 11 Reasons why Spore Fame is NOT all that great

Post by Tyranidking Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:09 am

And I really, really cannot tolerate whiney little kids saying "OMG ur mah idol lolololololol rate me plz."

I can only tolerate mature users, and THAT's why fame's not my thing.
Tyranidking
Tyranidking
EuroSpore 1965
EuroSpore 1965

Male
Spore Name : Nidking

Back to top Go down

11 Reasons why Spore Fame is NOT all that great - Page 2 Empty Re: 11 Reasons why Spore Fame is NOT all that great

Post by embercoral Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:26 am

I haven't gotten any of those yet. That must be annoying, though! It's like a rockstar being flooded by fans who want autographs and to possibly have the fame rub off onto them.
embercoral
embercoral

Female
Spore Name : embercoral

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin92 Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:52 am

yes rebecca! that's the truth about beeing a popular sporecreator! well done reasons, all of them are VERY true Wink
Kevin92
Kevin92
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Male
Spore Name : Kevin92

http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/Kevin92

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:10 am

The comments I hate getting "OMG this is awesome. I subbd you can you sub me back". Some seem to have gotten the idea that the reason people got to 1000 subs or a couple hundred subs is because they used a sub4sub system.

The most arrogant comments I get are when they don't even acknowledge the creation they just say "comment on my newest creation" or "subscribe to me". I don't respond ever to comments that are self promotional. If a person gives a well thought out comment I will try to respond (hard right now as my internet is slow from hitting my usage limit Crying or Very sad )
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : Reyes1

https://www.youtube.com/user/L0rdRemington?feature=mhw5

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:56 am

TheBuzzard wrote:A few months ago I had about 2 subs... now its shot up by at least twenty... at what point should I be worried about these 11 things?

Some of them are not necessarily creating related. I find some of them are probably more related to being well known. However, being well known and having lots of subs do seem to corellate.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male
Spore Name : Vektrix / SporeMasterVek

http://www.eurospore.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperLoki Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:02 am

Yeah. I mean, no offence to her, but MaxisCactus isn't the best creator, nor is she an active creator (besides templates) and yet she's one of the highest sub'd users in Spore.

Sometimes, Reputation = Subscription
SuperLoki
SuperLoki
EuroSpore 1997
EuroSpore 1997

Female
Spore Name : Rebecca1208

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:04 am

I am not subbed to any of the top 3 creators subs wise (except Cactus).... Unsure
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperLoki Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:06 am

I can't remember the 3rd top sub'd, but neither am I Laughing
SuperLoki
SuperLoki
EuroSpore 1997
EuroSpore 1997

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:09 am

I had a feeling it was Parkaboy, so yeah.

BTW: You should have sporum access again Wink
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperLoki Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:33 am

I do. Thank you Smile
SuperLoki
SuperLoki
EuroSpore 1997
EuroSpore 1997

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by MjrGlory Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:57 am

Uhm, that's all sound rather negative Becca. Is it really that bad for you?
No offence, but I think a lot of the below stated problems with popularity are not that bad or even problems at all. I can't really compare with you since you got about 8 times more subscribers, but I do think it's just all about how you deal with those subscribers. Anyways, I left some comments to your points. Just my opinion though.....

SuperLoki wrote:Look at the sporepedia now. And all the people fighting to get attention. Why do they do this? They want to be popular and known, get comments and ratings. But is it really that great? (FYI, this is MY opinion on this, not fact)

1. You get too much attention
Everyone likes a bit of attention, but everyone has their limit. While nice at first, after a while, it does become overwhelming, with people constantly trying to talk to you and having, literally, hundreds or thousands of fans.

It's not overwhelming for me yet so I can't say much about this....

2. Fun and Games turn into work
When you first started Spore, you were likely to play it, and not instantly know about the popularity thing. Like me, I played the game over and over for months, and I loved it. Like many people, I got bored and began creating. Then I got popular. And now, people expect so much of me. "Make this! Make that! Check my creations! Play my adventures! Give me comments!" So many orders, and yet you're supposed to be the respected leader o.O Where's the fun in this?

I simply ignore those comments. I don't do requests, I don't play adventures and I comment when I feel like doing so

3. You get a reputation
As said earlier, people expect too much out of you, and you have to keep that going if you want to get some respect - not the right kind of respect, but still. And with this, sometimes you get a reputation you don't like or want, or if you do one little thing YOU want to do, it shatters everything.

I really don't care about what other want me to do. I just create what I feel like creating. It's the only way to keep it fun for yourself imo.

4. You can't always be polite
Fans. What can you do? I think every popular creator was polite enough to answer questions, finish requests and pay back every comment they received. But I think you can all agree, it does get a bit much. Eventually you spend more time doing what your fans want, and less time creating, thus losing more fans due to lack of creating. And not only that, but when you're answering the same damn question over and over, it gets annoying, and it's harder to answer every time or pay back every comment D:

This can be a pain indeed. When I see a high comment count I'm just more selective in which comments I reply to. Short comments and questions are ignored. It has nothing to do with being polite if you ask me....

5. You're not always welcomed
If you're talented, then good for you, you should be pleased, and so should those around you. But what about contests and challenges? Maybe you want to have some fun, or help a few people? If you show up and ask to join, people often shun you away, claiming you're too good and will make them look bad. This hasn't happened often to me, personally, but I've seen it happen to so many other creators, and it's quite sad.

I have never heard or saw such a thing happen. I've been welcomed in every contest I joined at least....

6. You may get stalkers
God, this is a scary thing to go through. If your fans love you enough (or are just that plain creepy) they'll try to find you on other websites, and by doing this, they can get information. People have managed to find my YouTube, DeviantArt, and even my real Facebook accounts just by doing searches - how creepy! And it gets worse! Sometimes you find random people with crushes on you, people you don't know or haven't seen before. When that happens... God, anything you do gets monitored and whined at.

That is creepy indeed. Luckily such a thing has not happened to me, but I would probably again go into ignore mode, big time ^^

7. Popularity is corrupt and cheated
You all probably know about this. A year ago, everything was fine, fair, and fun. Now, it's all about Dragons and UBD and whiney downrated/attention-seeking creations. As well as this, you'll find yourself with either too much or too little of the attention or fame you deserve for your effort. You spend ages making a beautifully decorated piece of artwork, and you get shunned out by a crappy asymmetric Dragon or a poorly made zombie with UBD stamped on it.

Hmm I don't seem to be having that problem, but yeah mpn isn't what it used to be. A shame really....but it's comments that count for me, not the place on mpn

8. You get flooded with invites
Contests. Clubs. Clans. They all want you. People never realize you are just one person who has a life out side of Spore, and never consider just how many invites you get. If you accept it all, you may find yourself in 10 clubs, 4 of which are about Dragons, and about 30 easy, redundant contests. Why bother? Or do they really think you have the time to get into all of that?

This I do have happening to me a lot. I always respectfully decline by saying I'm in a lot of contest already. Which is often true Smile Don't join just to be polite is my advice.

9. You get treated like a robot, not like a human
People just don't realize there's a person behind that name. You'll get little-to-no respect as a person, and are always demanded of things. This can result to being spoken down to, or getting insulted or ordered around for not responding. You're expected to return hundreds of comments, but you're only human, you can't do it, and you get insulted for it. It's sad.

Can't comment or give advice on this. I haven't been insulted yet. Luckily

10. You're more likely to be harassed and banned

With your name commonly seen and spoken, people will get to know you, and will want your attention, as said earlier. But sometimes you attract the wrong attention. Who knows? You might be absolutely completely innocent, just enjoying your game, and some jealous kid will see you and want to make you feel bad by insulting and swearing at you, threatening you, down-rating you, and even reporting you. They might be people you'll never meet, but it's still an unpleasant experience - take it from me. I've been targeted and banned 5 times, photoshopped and attempted hacks and viruses. Some things are just harder to ignore than others.
Oh yeah, and if you make one little mistake on a creation, something than can be mistaken for something else, and you're banned.

This indeed should be on this list. A big downside of being popular if you ask me. But as I'm not that popular I'm still clean of downraters Smile

11. Your opinion becomes too important
People approach you for advice on creating stuff, even if they are asking questions about stuff totally unrelated to your sporepedia. Some people even take your opinions as fact, and then are quite happy to tell people that you said this, so this must be gospel.

Is this really a bad thing? I take it as a big compliment if people ask for advice. I'm always happy to help. Could be just me though....

So, just try to have some fun. Don't be so eager to getting all that popularity and fame. Relax, have fun, and enjoy yourself while you can Smile
MjrGlory
MjrGlory
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : MjrGlory

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperLoki Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:52 am

I know it's a negative way to look at it. This is based on my experience and the experience of others. I know it's not bad for everyone, and I think I mentioned everyone reacts and copes differently with different things, but it happens nonetheless, and some people are seriously in trouble by it. I mean, I've experienced almost all of this, and I never had a strong desire to get popular like other people did.

The point in this thread is to make people realize how it's not all that great, and to encourage people to relax and enjoy to game for what it is, not just to get popular and 1000s of unknown fans. Some people are so obsessed with popularity they ruin the game for themselves and others around them.
SuperLoki
SuperLoki
EuroSpore 1997
EuroSpore 1997

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by MjrGlory Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:06 am

Yeah I agree people should enjoy themselfs more and not focus on getting popular. But I don't think a message like this is the right one for them to refrain from it or will even stop them ^^

I feel kinda bad though for you (and others) experiencing this....
Especially with all the banning nonsense.
MjrGlory
MjrGlory
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : MjrGlory

Back to top Go down

Post by Copperlou Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:43 am

I would agree with this. I miss being an unknown to be honest, easier to just enjoy the game. Probably the one I suffer from the most is not being welcomed in contests, I've had to drop out of a few because people threw a fit when I decided to join. I don't enter them much anymore because of this. Creators like Parka also get a lot of crap about this.

Plus, when you're popular. People talk about you, oh yes they do, and it may not always be things you want to read/hear. Most don't think of you as a person with emotions behind the screen. I know I've never been "hurt" because of this, but people have gotten under my skin a couple times.

Those are really the only things that bug me though. The requests, invites, and such can be ignored and I do just that.
Copperlou
Copperlou
EuroSpore 1948
EuroSpore 1948

Female

http://www.spore.com/view/myspore

Back to top Go down

Post by LoD Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:50 am

That CopperLou is a tricksssssy demon. Evil or Very Mad

LoD
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Male
Spore Name : "LoD"

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperLoki Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:14 am

I know what you mean, Copper... contests I try to enjoy. Comments/invites I try to ignore. People talking about me? I take it far too personally. Just today, I found out someone is sad enough to talk bad about me to her school friends Neutral That, doesn't bother me too much, but I've heard worse, and it's quite offending.

Makes me wonder. Why do we get this treatment? We're just like everyone else. Albeit perhaps a little more creative/talented, but at least we like to enjoy our game rather than boast about our fame or whine to other people.
SuperLoki
SuperLoki
EuroSpore 1997
EuroSpore 1997

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:26 am

There will always be people who like you and people who don´t like you.

The more known you are, the more people it will be.

And there are some things you just can´t control.

Enjoy the game just for the heck of it, have a good time creating and chatting with your friends - and ignore who ever is fool enough to waste their time with pointless situations.

If people are acting like douche-hounds, even if they are flaming you, it´s their own problem.
Let them be pathetic in their own puddle of ignorance and don´t give it another thought.

Just keep on playing and enjoying the game Thumbs Up
Arkanay
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male
Spore Name : Arkanay

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakiara Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:02 pm

Omg becca, I completely agree with you. Popularity is overrated Smile All of these things have happened to me besides #10. Don't have so much a stalker as you though.

Good read and advice!
Sakiara
Sakiara
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Female
Spore Name : Sakiara

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:37 pm

I keep getting request to make this and that, and look at their stuff. I can do that if it's two or three a week but not 10 at a time. D:
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:07 pm

I get the occasional request, I get the ocassional OMG VEK HAS ENTERED THIS CONTEST I'M SCREWED.

Copper is the only one here that asnwer this (besides slime actually), and that is has being an SM changed people's perceptions of you so much that you just think it is not worth it?

It hasn't really for me, but then I am not the most active (appearing) SM. I only log as SMV after seeing what has happened as Vektrix - or if I wanna check the moderator section. I try to be lenient with people as well. Some however do not deserve my leniance. However, being an SM has meant that some people have confused my opinion with fact more than they used to.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperLoki Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:44 pm

I hadn't noticed the moderator discussion came in, but with that said, I feel bad for Copper, Slime and BB. They all told me it's either not nice, or if they got offered the chance again, they wouldn't take it.

And on popularity discussion...yeah. I think I've had a few 'Becca's here we're screwed!' comments, too. I try to give them a bit of self-confidence and say that just because I'm here, doesn't mean I'll win.
I mean, even with Maxis Contests. Ever since my early features, I considered that, should I ever win, I give the feature to someone else - I want to have fun. I'm not fussed about winning anymore. Sure, it's nice to win, but is it nice to have everyone around you whine and moan and even occasionally insult you?
SuperLoki
SuperLoki
EuroSpore 1997
EuroSpore 1997

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:51 pm

Becks, I just give people confidence with one simple fact.

*I* beat techno605 in a Building Art round, you could easily therefore beat me at Raptors, or Becks at Dragons or Kyle at humanoid Warriors. It usually works.

Yeah, I'd think twice about becoming an SM as well knowing what I now know.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperLoki Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:54 pm

Hmm. Really good advise, there. Though, while you do speak truthfully in most cases, I hate to give false-confidence.

The SM thing.. damn. Honestly I kinda want to be one, mainly since I've been moderating for quite some time now and I wouldn't imagine the Sporum being lots more stressful than the DAC ever was. Still, I'm aware I'm missing a lot unless I experience it first-hand.
SuperLoki
SuperLoki
EuroSpore 1997
EuroSpore 1997

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:01 pm

Becks, it is always easier to moderate something you are VERY close to as there is a feeling that it is yours, and your responsibilty, therefore, to keep it alive, successful and a happy place. I do not get the same satisfaction on the sporum that I do here for instance.

I also get annoyed to an extent in that I am viewed as an inactive or ineffective SM. There have been periods where I have been away from the sporum since becoming one, but during the periods I am active stuff does just not tend to happen. Besides, i tend not be logged on SM unlkess I need to be...
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperLoki Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:31 pm

I can understand that. When I'm moderating someone else's forum, I really think ahead and am reluctant to do certain things, like in this forum. It's yours, and some things I wont do straight away. A forum held by Maxis? I'd be very careful and try to learn from the SM's around me.

And yeah, such a shame about the whole inactive thing. I wouldn't bother me if people came to realize you do, in fact, have a life *gasp!*
SuperLoki
SuperLoki
EuroSpore 1997
EuroSpore 1997

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next