EuroSpore
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stereotypes, slang, and colloquialisms in different countries.

+24
Zellex
TyrannoFan
bmpalmann
stgermaine
Mr. Dr. Prof. Walrus
Dormin
jellyman12
Illusionary
Hutch
Lumorei
Arkanay
Iridescence
Shardna
Andeavor
Kevin92
supertwichy
sjhorm
SuperLoki
Aletrius
Trick
Icedmask
Vektrix
LordRemington
Sakiara
28 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Stereotypes, slang, and colloquialisms in different countries. Empty Stereotypes, slang, and colloquialisms in different countries.

Post by Sakiara Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:33 pm

I've had a few discussions in chat regarding what the title says. It's interesting to see what's valid or not. Some are pretty funny, others are far from the truth, or both. So discuss what your countries stereotypes, colloquialisms, and slangs are. Sometimes they apply to your country, but not to you particular.

Please do:
- list off some from other countries or your own.
- verify if it's true or not.
- Any cultural topics such as food, animals, and clothing are also good to discuss here.

Please DON'T:
- post anything rude.
- if something is offensive but it's pretty common in yours or another country, just don't post it.

Last edited by Sakiara on Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sakiara
Sakiara
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Female
Spore Name : Sakiara

Back to top Go down

Stereotypes, slang, and colloquialisms in different countries. Empty Re: Stereotypes, slang, and colloquialisms in different countries.

Post by Sakiara Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:34 pm

Canada:

- I say eh
- we have no polar bears or igloos here
- we don't say aboot
- we say pop here not soda

Australian:

- say lollies for candy
- shrimp on the barbie
- dingo ate my baby
- sheila for a woman, bruce for a guy
Sakiara
Sakiara
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Female

Back to top Go down

Stereotypes, slang, and colloquialisms in different countries. Empty Re: Stereotypes, slang, and colloquialisms in different countries.

Post by LordRemington Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:41 pm

Well I know alot of aussie slang, but most isn't appropriate to post.. Zel would probably be better at listing some aussie ones.

From here:
-Many a people's say g'day
- yes sakibuns we do put shrimp on the barbie.... because of its raw deliciousness
- Australia is as obsessed with sport as is stereotyped
- swearing is no where near as taboo as it is in other english speaking countries

Canada
-You say hoose instead of house
- You like maple syrup alot
- You like waffles and pancakes alot
- You combine your loves of syrup and waffles
- Bear wrestling is common practice
- All policeman are mounties
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : Reyes1

https://www.youtube.com/user/L0rdRemington?feature=mhw5

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakiara Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:57 pm

LordRemington wrote:Canada
-You say hoose instead of house
- You like maple syrup alot
- You like waffles and pancakes alot
- You combine your loves of syrup and waffles
- Bear wrestling is common practice
- All policeman are mounties
lol Remi
- no we don't say hoose
- I do like maple syrup, pancakes and waffles
- don't have bears here or wrestle with them
- not all the police here are mounties. But we do have the Royal Mounted Police. I haven't seen or heard about any in a very long time though

France:
- wine
- supposedly stuck-up
- Paris the city of love
- berrets

Switzerland:
- yoddling
- blondes with blue eyes

England
- tea and crumpets
- cheerio

Germany:
- beer and ale, and huge mug thingies
- Octoberfest

United States:
- supposedly obese and low IQ Sad
- Texas area says y'all

More Australian:
- say mate
- overly friendly
- anything Steve Irwin said basically
Sakiara
Sakiara
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:59 pm

England
- well, I do have tea and crumpets sometimes, but not normal.
- we do say cheerio
- we joke about Germany a lot

Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male
Spore Name : Vektrix / SporeMasterVek

http://www.eurospore.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Icedmask Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:04 pm

Norway:

- Sorry, but the Vikings have been dead for 1100 years.
- Even if half our country lies north of the arctic circle doesn't mean that we have polar bears here.
- We joke about Sweden

Great thread Saki Razz
Icedmask
Icedmask
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : Icedmask

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:10 pm

English:
-Supposedly bland taste in food

French:
-Amazing lovers

Haitians:
-All speaking Rastafarian
- all have dreadlocks

Swedish:
-jolly people
- rosey cheeks
- love chocolate

LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Trick Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:55 pm

French: Surrendering cheese eating cowards.

Apparently.
Trick
Trick
EuroSpore 1992
EuroSpore 1992

Male
Spore Name : bobmarleyrulz

Back to top Go down

Post by Aletrius Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:28 pm

A lot of people would say that is true, Trick. Razz

Let's see...

Italy

- 'Cheeky Chappies' (Blame Berlusconi for that Laughing )
- Side with whoever's winning
- Pizza and Pasta

France

- Not too fond of the English
- Hate any government, even if they elected it
- Strike for the sake of striking

Russia

- Everyone is equal, but some more than others
- Corruption
Aletrius
Aletrius
EuroSpore 1992
EuroSpore 1992

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperLoki Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:46 pm

South England:
- We do not say 'pip pip', 'cheerio', 'tallyho' or any of the stereotypical stuff.
- We do not have bad teeth, glasses, and are not cowards.
- We have a bad case of 'Stereotypical White Girls', as well as 'Chavs' and 'Pikeys'
- We do not eat tea and crumpets with a passion, sometimes we say Cookies instead of Biscuits and Lollies instead of Sweets, depends on what's in question.

Poland:
- Apparently it's on fire (according to Jakey)
SuperLoki
SuperLoki
EuroSpore 1997
EuroSpore 1997

Female
Spore Name : Rebecca1208

Back to top Go down

Post by sjhorm Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:00 am

Northeast America:
McDonald's main source of income.
Land of the Obese & Rifle Ownership
We all live in trailerparks.
We all own pickup trucks.
(surprisingly, all of these are TRUE)
We have a few intelligent people.

Slang:
To speak to a group of people, you must say "y'uns"
To refer to other things besides the subject you are on, say "an' at"
"y'all" is not only said in Texas, I hear it up here, too
Apparently, we say hot, "hawt"
Down south, we are all known as "Yankees"
We say 'pop' too.
sjhorm
sjhorm
EuroSpore 1975
EuroSpore 1975

Male
Spore Name : sjhorm

Back to top Go down

Post by supertwichy Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:25 am

sjhorm wrote:Northeast America:
McDonald's main source of income. Unfortunately true...
Land of the Obese & Rifle Ownership Unfortunately true...
We all live in trailerparks. Luckily only about half true...
We all own pickup trucks. Just most of us
We have a few intelligent people. true
supertwichy
supertwichy

Male
Spore Name : supertwichy

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin92 Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:59 am

Sakiara wrote:

Germany:
- beer and ale, and huge mug thingies
- Octoberfest

Germany:
- beer and ale, and huge mug thingies -> YES!^^ the correct name is beer mug Wink
- Octoberfest -> YES! but it's only in munich.... Wink
- dirndels and leather pants -> ONLY at octoberfest in munich Very Happy
- we love sausages -> yes
- sauerkraut -> omg, ugly! but some people love it
Shh
-pork knuckles -> delicious Smile

any more things you think about germany?
Kevin92
Kevin92
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Male
Spore Name : Kevin92

http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/Kevin92

Back to top Go down

Post by Aletrius Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:07 am

The Germans are very similar to the English. Then again, we are virtually the same racially. Anglo-Saxons, and all of that.
Aletrius
Aletrius
EuroSpore 1992
EuroSpore 1992

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin92 Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:13 am

yes you're right Wink

oh i have some more things...

-we love football -> YES!!!!
- we wear sandals tennis socks and shorts together.... -> not realy Very Happy
- we love malle (mallorca)-> OH YES! the island in spain is half flooded with germans and half flooded with british poeple Very Happy
Kevin92
Kevin92
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:20 am

Switzerland
- Yodeling: only in rural areas but the really boring kind
- Chocolate: Cailler and Lindt and are two of the world's best confectionary brands
- Cheese: "Swiss cheese" is really Emmentaler, there's also Gruyère, Appenzeller, Tilsiter and Raclette
- Fondue: cheese fondue (half-and-half) being more famous, we prefer fondue Chinoise (on New Year's eve)
- Neutrality: only when foreigners are present, otherwise we're embarrassingly opinionated
- Coocoo Clocks: we have them but Bavaria is more famous for it
- Bi-Lingual: Most Swiss speak at least two languages, schools teach a minimum of three
- Punctuality: we are always on schedule. If the train doesn't arrive on time we panic. Help
- "Chavs/Scallies": Here we have "Yugos" filling in that niche, but they're generally well-behaved in public

Culturally, we're a peasant nation. Our traditions are very rural, the language coarse and to an extent we can get really defensive of our turf. At the same time, we [Swiss Germans] can be very inviting and flexible with foreigners. We always try to speak other people's languages (generally English) since we cannot expect everyone to know German or Swiss German.

There's a big difference between the Swiss and the Germans on the phone. While the German always get to the point and state their case, a Swiss caller always needs to turn it into a social affair, afraid they might waste the other person's time.

Bavarian comic Michael Mittermeier once said the Swiss are very indecisive going "Yes... no... a little bit..." about everything they're confronted with. He then asked his Swiss audience about it and that's exactly the response(s) he got. Facepalm
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

Back to top Go down

Post by Aletrius Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:28 am

The only time I have ever been to Switzerland is driving through to get to Italy. But it looked like a beautiful country in terms of scenery, although it always rains when I am driving through. Sad

I should stay there some time.
Aletrius
Aletrius
EuroSpore 1992
EuroSpore 1992

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Trick Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:12 am

Bulgaria:

-We are next to Russia
-All of us speak like Borat

Trick
Trick
EuroSpore 1992
EuroSpore 1992

Male
Spore Name : bobmarleyrulz

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin92 Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:23 am

@andy: yes the Coocoo Clocks are more famous in germany, we have the biggest of them world wide Smile oh and i love michael mittermeier Razz
Kevin92
Kevin92
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Shardna Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:31 am

I think we have those clocks as well. Though there only small little clocks. Razz
Shardna
Shardna
EuroSpore 1954
EuroSpore 1954

Female
Spore Name : Shardna

Back to top Go down

Post by Iridescence Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:10 am

Funny I come across this thread right now, I just had breakfast in which I thought about American stereotypes.

To my right and somewhat in front of me was a table of stereotypical Americans. There were two overweight boys acting like idiots and their sister who dressed like a... well... a... uh... I think you know what I was going to say there. But anyway, she constantly lifted the back of her shirt to reveal a playboy belt and underwear and her brothers (along with her as well) acting like complete morons. They had to be 15-17 and still throwing food and blowing bubbles in their drinks. All the while their parents talked unnecessarily loud on their cell phones. Oh, and did I mention the daughter was texting pretty much the whole time? At breakfast.

Then sitting directly in front of me was a family who gave reason for us not to be stereotyped. All in good shape, not obnoctious, very kind and just overall great people.

There aren't as many overweight people (at least where I am) as people make it seem to be. There are only about four kids in about 50 in my class at school that are out of shape. Not as bad as people make it out to be often times. Also, I find that generally, we don't have a low IQ either. The majority of the kids in my area test higher than at least 75% of the rest of the country. And that's an average, so the few who do have the lower IQ brought that down. The majority of people I know score higher than 85% of the country.

But that's all in my area only. There are parts of the country that fit the usual stereotyping. I find it that most people remember the bad more than the good, especially when it comes to groups of people.
Iridescence
Iridescence
EuroSpore 1948
EuroSpore 1948

Male
Spore Name : banzaibill96

Back to top Go down

Post by Icedmask Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:55 am

America is a huge country, it can't be filled by only stereotypes. Most people are what you could classify as "normal"

But, there is always some truth in the stereotypes. Watch Miss USA and you'll see what low IQ is Very Happy
Icedmask
Icedmask
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : Icedmask

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:27 am

@Banzai: I've been to and lived in the US for a few years in the past and I have noticed that, in general, Americans have a larger appetite when it comes to eating. Once I was at a seminar and some of the girls I was in the group with had a salad, a full main plate and dessert every day. The girls back home are usually full after the salad and still complain they overate.

I've also noticed that European men are much more slender than American men. Though, I can't tell whether that's because of the healthier food (i.e. using oil instead of butter) or because there's a bigger focus on public transport rather than sitting in a car driving from mall to mall all day.
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:33 pm

Jamaica-- everyone is amazing at soccer

New Zealand-- Irritating accent

Alaska- Apparently you have a chance of seeing Russia from your house
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakiara Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:01 pm

lol, that's a lot of really good ones. I think there should be more disputing or validating if the stereotype, slang or whatever is true for your country. Smile It's interesting to see what you guys say about your own country too!
Sakiara
Sakiara
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum