EuroSpore
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Accents, Dialects and Linguistic Abilities

+9
NGin
Xaesheir
Hordeon
Red-Indigo
Zellex
Aieru
Vektrix
Jezrhen
Andeavor
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Accents, Dialects and Linguistic Abilities - Page 2 Empty Re: Accents, Dialects and Linguistic Abilities

Post by Cyana Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:03 am

Andeavor wrote:I find Swiss German to be unromantic, rugged and a abomination of language in general. It's a mystery to me that we have a working media.

I inexplicably started laughing really hard when I read that. Had you not mentioned Swiss German, I would have sworn you were describing the Danish language Razz
Cyana
Cyana

Female

http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/Cyana

Back to top Go down

Accents, Dialects and Linguistic Abilities - Page 2 Empty Re: Accents, Dialects and Linguistic Abilities

Post by Vektrix Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:04 am

I think most people speaking foreign languages sound strange to those who speak it as their mother tongue.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male
Spore Name : Vektrix / SporeMasterVek

http://www.eurospore.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:06 am

Vektrix wrote:I think most people speaking foreign languages sound strange to those who speak it as their mother tongue.
Come again? Suspect
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:08 am

If you speak English as your Native Language, you tend to find those who speak a different language as their native language funny when they speak English.

And Vice-Versa.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:14 am

It depends, I find foreign accents in most languages very charming - except for the German accent in general. Brick Wall My favorite is when an English speaker is fluent in German but keeps the soft r's and k's (as in ch), and if they know Swiss German than even better.

And to be honest, if they know their vocabulary you wouldn't mind a foreign accent in the slightest, now would you?
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:19 am

No, of course not, I was just making an observation about foreigners speaking different languages. However, many Brits seem to think they can make non-Englishs speakers understand by talking slower and louder Mental
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:23 am

That is true. But it sometimes does help to annunciate and not babble one's ear off. In fact I was told even the French do it for each other.

In Switzerland when someone tries to communicate with us we always make an effort to speak in their language or one that is closer to theirs. Something many English-speaking folk ain't doing, eh?
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:24 am

Well, Switzerland has three national languages doesn't it? Even has Latin on it's stamps. As far as am aware, Switzerland promotes languages a lot in their schools. We are the opposite really. Although Languages is well promoted, we still have an empire mentality when it comes to learning. By that I mean we still think we own most of the world and everyone else speaks English anyway.

ALthough to a certain extent this is true, but I think we should still make an effort.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bmpalmann Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:56 am

In Britain no school promotes taking up a foreign language, they do teach other languages but by the time you've learnt to say je m'appelle a french person of the same age would be asking a question in almost perfect english Rolling Eyes
bmpalmann
bmpalmann
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : bmpalmann/ Remyxomatosis

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:59 am

Not at my school Ben, they actively promoted it.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bmpalmann Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:39 am

My school doesn't in fact most the schools in Norfolk don't hence why my AS french clas is the second smallest in sixth form (the smallest is German). I come from a large sixth form too, about 500 adding up to a total school population of about 1800
bmpalmann
bmpalmann
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Red-Indigo Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:37 am

Lol, our french education was a night mare, I had 4 teachers in 2 years, one of which I felt really sorry for as she was a wreck following the murder of her daughter (which came out later when she broke down in front of the class) after being much ignored by the kids as they paper pelleted the walls, ran on the rooftops, screamed fought and generally were obnoxious. I was one of the few trying to get on with it. I really wanted to speak at least one other language as well.

One thing that made me kind of angry too, was when I lived in germany me and my mum would go shopping and we would try our best to communicate in german, somtimes it really didnt happen. The majority of germans were really friendly and extremley helpful. Some of the english people that lived next to us though really had a poor attitude that went along the lines of 'we won the war... they should speak english.' That attitude really really annoyed me. I really liked the german people around us though, some of the nicest people I've met.
Red-Indigo
Red-Indigo
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Female
Spore Name : Orbixitron

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:22 pm

I don't get along well with that attitude either Red. You are in THEIR Country, speak THEIR language if you possibly can. If they wanna speak your language, then great.

Sorry to hear about what happened to your French teacher - we had the opposite with French mind you, she was a great teacher of French, but you did kinda get the feeling if tyou didn't behave properly you'd find yourself... on the other side. german we had 7 teachers in 2 years, yet I still got a good grade. I caused the forst German teache rin the period to have a nervous breakdown... whoops.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:28 pm

Speaking of teachers, my Italian teacher was a small-sized nightmare. Even though she was Swiss, she'd burst into class and talk our heads off in Italian - in a beginner's class. It even came to a small fallout between us when she criticized one of my presentations as I was giving it and gave me a bad grade right then and there.

Boy, was I miffed. Mad
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin92 Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:54 am

i speak german with a very funny accent Very Happy it's a mix of "Hessisch"German and "Pfälzisch"German, but i can speak normal german, too! i have a friend who live in the north of germany...and if i speak with accent she can't stop laughing Very Happy
i think my english is british english? i don't know...maybe a brite tell me the answer Very Happy
Kevin92
Kevin92
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Male
Spore Name : Kevin92

http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/Kevin92

Back to top Go down

Post by Red-Indigo Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:58 am

Wow, andeavor, I thought I had a hard time in languages. Yeah, the kids I got put in with were those that really really didnt want to be in a french class, let alone school. Typical.

Although like you and vek, my first french teacher was like an enigma. She was lovely and friendly. Very small but boy if you annoyed her, you would know about it. She also felt the need only to speak in french when in class. Mind you she was french.

And vek, what in the world did you do!? Haha, our R.E teahcer left because 'our class was an abomination.' she too had a mental break down, apparantly caused by us. She was pretty mental to begin with though...
Red-Indigo
Red-Indigo
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:08 am

One of my French teachers was this perfectly dressed, timid lady. One day, right before a vocabulary test, I attempted to scribble a few difficult words on the desk for cheating. When I looked up, there she stood smiling at me and asked if I was going to erase them before the test.

Mais oui madame. Shocked
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bmpalmann Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:45 am

Kevin92 wrote:
i think my english is british english? i don't know...maybe a brite tell me the answer Very Happy
Sounds like the original english language to me!

I don't have an accent which is just as well, considering what the Norfolk accent is like! Shocked
bmpalmann
bmpalmann
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin92 Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:45 am

Andeavor wrote:One of my French teachers was this perfectly dressed, timid lady. One day, right before a vocabulary test, I attempted to scribble a few difficult words on the desk for cheating. When I looked up, there she stood smiling at me and asked if I was going to erase them before the test.

Mais oui madame. Shocked

lol, nice try Very Happy
Kevin92
Kevin92
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bmpalmann Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:50 am

What you need Andeavor is a decent sized watch and write some of the harder answers under where the strap goes. Laughing
bmpalmann
bmpalmann
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Red-Indigo Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:05 am

bmpalmann wrote:
Kevin92 wrote:
Sounds like the original english language to me!

I don't have an accent which is just as well, considering what the Norfolk accent is like! Shocked

Lol, considering I was born there, I was lucky to escape it being a heavy influence on me Laughing but my dad sounds very Norfolky. I try not to copy.
Red-Indigo
Red-Indigo
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin92 Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:09 am

oh ok...so i am a normal english speaker Smile
Kevin92
Kevin92
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum