EuroSpore
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Computer

+10
Mysteryem
Icedmask
sjhorm
MarkyDMan
Andeavor
Xaesheir
SuperLoki
bmpalmann
LordRemington
Trick
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

New Computer - Page 2 Empty Re: New Computer

Post by Didzo Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:49 pm

If you want a desktop, build your own.

If someone posts a link to a good UK computer hardware site, I could create a parts list and link it here as a rough guideline.

------------------------

As a sidenote...

If you're willing to dish out the money for a Macbook, get the PC equivalent instead... Alienware. I recently got an Alienware M11x-R2 11.6in laptop with a 1.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, a dedicated graphics card, and a 500GB 7200RPM drive. Overpriced and unnecessarily, but it really is a treat.
Didzo
Didzo
EuroSpore 1948
EuroSpore 1948

Back to top Go down

Post by Trick Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:18 pm

Too many comments while I was away:

@Ben: The designing software I use (SolidWorks) can't function on Mac OS.
@Marky: Lol.
@Sj: I've been considering custom built PC's.
@Iroh: Things like that, but like I said to Ben, the software I use can't work on a Mac.
@Mystery: Perhaps.
@Andy: Quite recently, and there's only been a slight improvement.
@Doom: I'm not too keen on Linux. I'd prefer to stay with Windows to be brutally honest. XP works fine.
@wp: Nice.
@Jak: Nice.
@Andy: Some computers vary, you might have grabbed a good one Razz
@Didzo: Alienware are nice, I'll give you that.

Well, I think I'm going to make a custom built PC, seeing as you have more control over what you want in it.

Trick
Trick
EuroSpore 1992
EuroSpore 1992

Male
Spore Name : bobmarleyrulz

Back to top Go down

Post by Damnagoras Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:56 am

There's no need to create a new thread for this I guess, so I'll just post here:

I'm planning on buying a new desktop, but I'm not well familiar with computers. What should I keep in mind as I look at different models? How much is, for example, 4GB RAM on my current computer compared to what's available today?

I want a computer that I'll be able to play games on with good performance. My favorite games, which include Civilzation V, Cities XL 2011 and Total War: Shogun 2 all perform in the range of decent to badly.

What factors affect how well the computer performs? I know about RAM and processor speed, which are at 4GB and 2.6GHz on my current computer, but not much else.

I'd much rather have PC than a Mac. And I don't want to take any chances by ordering a custom built computer, since I hardly now a crap about these things - assembling it myself is out of the question, even if it's a lot cheaper to do so.

So what advice can you give me?
Damnagoras
Damnagoras
EuroSpore 1948
EuroSpore 1948

Male
Spore Name : Damnagoras

Back to top Go down

Post by Trick Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:16 am

Btw, custom built means that a manufacturer such as Dell builds your PC via YOUR recommended specs.

http://www.dell.com/uk/business/p/precision-t1500/fs
Trick
Trick
EuroSpore 1992
EuroSpore 1992

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Damnagoras Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:16 am

Trickatel wrote:Btw, custom built means that a manufacturer such as Dell builds your PC via YOUR recommended specs.

http://www.dell.com/uk/business/p/precision-t1500/fs

Yes, but it means that you're going to have to know exactly what parts you want.

Oh, and what's the difference between a 32-bit and 64-bit OS?
Damnagoras
Damnagoras
EuroSpore 1948
EuroSpore 1948

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Trick Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:20 am

64 bit can handle more RAM, but it isn't fully developed as an OS system yet, take it as a Beta. Not many software run on it, as not many companies have enhanced their sw to 64 bit, and it'll take some time to do so. Stay with 32 bit for now, it's more reliable and "safe".
Trick
Trick
EuroSpore 1992
EuroSpore 1992

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Damnagoras Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:02 am

From what I found out at yahoo answers, a 32 bit OS can't have more than 4GB of RAM. So is it a bit of a rule of thumb that any computer with higher RAM than that is a 64 bit one?
Damnagoras
Damnagoras
EuroSpore 1948
EuroSpore 1948

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Trick Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:06 am

Generally speaking, yes, but 4GB of RAM is enough for your computing needs, unless you're making Avatar 2.
Trick
Trick
EuroSpore 1992
EuroSpore 1992

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Damnagoras Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:12 am

Ok, that's good to know. Thanks, Trick! Smile
Damnagoras
Damnagoras
EuroSpore 1948
EuroSpore 1948

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Trick Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:50 am

Anytime Smile
Trick
Trick
EuroSpore 1992
EuroSpore 1992

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Didzo Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:24 am

Damnagoras wrote:There's no need to create a new thread for this I guess, so I'll just post here:

I'm planning on buying a new desktop, but I'm not well familiar with computers. What should I keep in mind as I look at different models? How much is, for example, 4GB RAM on my current computer compared to what's available today?

I want a computer that I'll be able to play games on with good performance. My favorite games, which include Civilzation V, Cities XL 2011 and Total War: Shogun 2 all perform in the range of decent to badly.

What factors affect how well the computer performs? I know about RAM and processor speed, which are at 4GB and 2.6GHz on my current computer, but not much else.

I'd much rather have PC than a Mac. And I don't want to take any chances by ordering a custom built computer, since I hardly now a crap about these things - assembling it myself is out of the question, even if it's a lot cheaper to do so.

So what advice can you give me?

Why do you want a new desktop?

How much money are you looking to spend?

Do you need a new monitor and other peripherals (mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc.).

What are your other computing needs besides games?

Do you have a lot of music, movies, or TV shows on your computer?

-----------------

On operating systems: I'd get a 64 bit operating system. It gives you more flexibility for upgrading.
Didzo
Didzo
EuroSpore 1948
EuroSpore 1948

Back to top Go down

Post by Damnagoras Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:03 am

Why do you want a new desktop?

- The full truth is that it's about time that I replaced the aging computer on my room. It probably needs to have every single part replaced, and I figured it's a better idea to buy an entire new computer instead. But the specifications I posted are for the family computer, and I would like to get something at least a bit better than that.

How much money are you looking to spend?

- I'm not exactly sure what you get for what price. But perhaps around $1000.

Do you need a new monitor and other peripherals (mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc.).

- No, just the computer itself.

What are your other computing needs besides games?

- Nothing special. My old computer can handle whatever I do besides gaming just fine.

Do you have a lot of music, movies, or TV shows on your computer?

- Not a great lot. But it's possible that I in the future might have use for a good amount of memory.
Damnagoras
Damnagoras
EuroSpore 1948
EuroSpore 1948

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:13 am

I would recommend to invest in a portable HD to store data such as music, film etc. I have one by Western Digital with 500 GB, which allowed me to get a smaller SSD for my new laptop (quite expensive but less of a booting hassle than HDD). It's also recommended as you can simply carry it with you and access the data at any computer - your own or the family computer - especially if one is on the frizz.
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

Back to top Go down

Post by Damnagoras Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:37 am

Andeavor wrote:I would recommend to invest in a portable HD to store data such as music, film etc. I have one by Western Digital with 500 GB, which allowed me to get a smaller SSD for my new laptop (quite expensive but less of a booting hassle than HDD). It's also recommended as you can simply carry it with you and access the data at any computer - your own or the family computer - especially if one is on the frizz.

With my limited knowledge, I'm not sure I know what you're talking about Laughing Would you like to explain what those abbreviations mean?
Damnagoras
Damnagoras
EuroSpore 1948
EuroSpore 1948

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:42 am

An HD is a Hard Drive, the very drive you need to install an operating system and store data. An SSD is a Solid State Drive, the successor to the HDD, the Hard Drive Disk, which doesn't need a rotating disk to access its data.
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2