EuroSpore
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Putting your foot in your mouth. (saying silly stuff)

+2
UltimateZob
LordRemington
6 posters

Go down

Putting your foot in your mouth. (saying silly stuff) Empty Putting your foot in your mouth. (saying silly stuff)

Post by LordRemington Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:19 pm

I was reminded of this in chat this morning. I didn't necessarily put my foot in my mouth, but it rather an incredibly unfortunate typo, but still it got me thinking about saying stupid things in conversations or in messages that you either instantly know are wrong or realize later make absolutely no sense.

Questions are. Have you ever seriously put your foot in your mouth with something you've said? give an example if you can or its not to embarrassing for you Razz.

Do you put your foot in your mouth a lot by saying silly things or do you think things through before talking? If you do say a lot of silly things, what goes through your mind when you say something that in hindsight is incredibly silly?

Also if someone puts their foot in their mouth by saying something incredibly stupid, do you call the person out on it, or let it slide to avoid embarrassing the person?

With myself, naturally as I am a complete klutz I put my foot in my mouth on an almost daily basis. The one that i do most often is mistaken identity. On numerous occasions I've gone up and greeted people I thought I knew, but infact were total strangers.

I also have a habit of jumping to conclusions with things such as gender and relationships. Once I was looking at some of my friends pictures and I saw a picture of who I assumed was maybe a male childhood friends doing something silly. I said "ha what is he doing?!", he turned around looked at it, then me with an expressionless face and said "thats my sister"......

But I also have a habit of getting relationships wrong. On to many occasions have I jumped to the conclusion that two people are in a relationships, but infact turn out to be siblings or relatives. I do this on an embarrassingly frequent basis and yet I never seem to learn my lesson.

I'm definitely on of the cliche` people who would go up to a woman with a big belly and automatically assume she's pregnant say ""when are you expecting?" only to find out she's not pregnant.

But a lot of times I just say things that are completely irrelevant and offtrack to a conversation I'm having, which often leads to awkward pauses as the other person tries to figure out why I said something so random.

Normally when I do this, I just have mental skips and the first thing that pops into my head is what I say. I just blank out say something then think "why did i just say that?"

Does this happen to any of you?
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : Reyes1

https://www.youtube.com/user/L0rdRemington?feature=mhw5

Back to top Go down

Putting your foot in your mouth. (saying silly stuff) Empty Re: Putting your foot in your mouth. (saying silly stuff)

Post by UltimateZob Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:54 pm

Absolutely. I don't think I've got it quite as bad as you, but I've got a habit of often switching the first letters of two words. If I'm not thinking about it, I accidentally say... unfortunate stuff.
UltimateZob
UltimateZob
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : UltimateZob

http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/UltimateZob

Back to top Go down

Putting your foot in your mouth. (saying silly stuff) Empty Re: Putting your foot in your mouth. (saying silly stuff)

Post by Illusionary Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:28 pm

I am a complete Klutz at saying words, especially saying things completely out of line, or more bold/exciting than what I usually say. I usually mess up on the word, saying a word that sounds like it in my mind, or an object/thing it reminds me of.

It's kinda hard to explain, really.
Illusionary
Illusionary
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Male
Spore Name : ghostofillusion

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:42 pm

Some years ago, I greeted this guy that I thought I knew, but apparantly I mistook him for someone else. scratch
Was a little embarassing, but after he said he wasn't who I thought he was, I apologized and moved away. Razz
Thing is, the guy looked a lot like another guy that had Maths extra classes with me. I had only seen him a few times, so I thought that was him.

And years before that, something quite embarassing happened. Gladly was on the internet. I'll put it in spoilers due to some "grown-up" content.
Spoiler:
Arkanay
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male
Spore Name : Arkanay

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:33 pm

If you watch Ellen Degeneres' stand up act Here and Now, she pretty much lists all the embarrassing moments I get into, both physically and in conversation.

When it comes to spontaneous conversations, I'm horribly bad at it, especially when I know the other person is being confident in what and how they share their opinion. The worst that happens is, I try to share what I believe is an ingenious thought only to end up forgetting the point I'm making about halfway through. Shocked

I'm a much better listener and observer. I've also learned that most of the times, it's just better you shut your mouth and make at least a confident impression on the outside.
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

Back to top Go down

Post by Trick Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:02 pm

We all have our moments when we type a different letter or two, completely changing the word and making ourselves look like idiots Razz
Trick
Trick
EuroSpore 1992
EuroSpore 1992

Male
Spore Name : bobmarleyrulz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down