EuroSpore
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEWS: Toddler left dying after hit and run prompts soul searching in China

3 posters

Go down

NEWS: Toddler left dying after hit and run prompts soul searching in China Empty NEWS: Toddler left dying after hit and run prompts soul searching in China

Post by Vektrix Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:50 am

NEWS: Toddler left dying after hit and run prompts soul searching in China Chinese-woman-uses-comput-007

The van driver stops for a moment, presumably realising in horror that he has just hit a toddler. Then he drives on – crushing her again beneath his rear wheels.

What follows is arguably even more horrifying: a dozen passersby ignore two-year-old Yueyue as she lies in agony in a busy market in southern China. Several glance at her bloodied body before continuing, while others walk or wheel around it.

Their apparent indifference means that she is hit again, by a truck. Surveillance camera footage from the busy wholesale market in Foshan, Guangdong, shows that it takes seven minutes before a woman finally stops to help.

The young girl's fate has prompted horrified soul searching in China since the images were aired on a local television station. The footage has been watched more than 1.5m times on the popular Youku video sharing site.

Shanghai Daily reported that the little girl had died of her injuries in hospital after the collision on Thursday, but other state media including the news agency Xinhua said she remained in a deep coma.

A doctor surnamed Peng told China Daily that medics had declared her braindead on Sunday and she could die at any time. He said at best she would remain in a vegetative state on life support.

The widespread reluctance to help strangers has already lead to an anguished public debate in the country. Many say they are too scared, blaming extortion attempts by people who have accused Good Samaritans of causing their injuries – and judges who have backed such claims. But some talked of a new moral low after seeing passersby – including a woman holding a small girl by the hand – walk around a two-year-old lying in a pool of blood.

China Daily claimed that the woman who stopped, a rubbish collector, was even told by shopkeepers to mind her own business when she tried to find out the child's identity.

Many internet users expressed fury, describing those who ignored Yueyue as less than human. "Where did conscience go … What has happened to the Chinese people?" wrote one, Reissent1987.

Several pointed out that it was a rubbish collector – among the poorest and often worst-educated members of society – who stopped to help, while others carried on.

But some said that people should ask themselves how willing they would have been to help before criticising.

One said that while the footage was heartbreaking he would have been "numb" to Yueyue too. "Would you be willing to throw your entire family's savings into the endless whirlpool of accident compensation? Aren't you afraid of being put into jail as the perpetrator? Have you ever considered that your whole family could lose happiness only because you wanted to be a great soul?" he wrote.

Chinese media said the two drivers who had hit Yueyue were now in police custody.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/oct/17/toddler-hit-and-run-china

Be Warned, this is horrific
Spoiler:

I have seen the video, by the way, I am not sure if I should post it or not. It is horrific, and even the passers by that do actually act, they just treat the victim like a Rag Doll, probably, it must be said, out of sheer shock. The second van drive over her is just horrid, I can't even imagine what the passers by were thinking other than "I don't want to deal with it"

The original driver of the first van is clearly not doing what is expected every driver - though i do wonder why this child was wondering seemingly aimlessly across a street... allbeit a not very busy one.

Should I post the Video or not?

Last edited by Vektrix on Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male
Spore Name : Vektrix / SporeMasterVek

http://www.eurospore.eu

Back to top Go down

NEWS: Toddler left dying after hit and run prompts soul searching in China Empty Re: NEWS: Toddler left dying after hit and run prompts soul searching in China

Post by bmpalmann Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:45 am

Only post the video, in spoilers with an explicit warning over the nature of the images. Sounds horrific. :\
And also it's quite typical of good samaritan stories that it was the poorest of the poor to help, probably says a lot for the morale fibre of the poor in china and a lot about everyone else who walked on by.
bmpalmann
bmpalmann
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : bmpalmann/ Remyxomatosis

Back to top Go down

NEWS: Toddler left dying after hit and run prompts soul searching in China Empty Re: NEWS: Toddler left dying after hit and run prompts soul searching in China

Post by LordRemington Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:06 pm

That video was awful Sad Its beyond me how anyone could walk by a badly injured toddler and not even give her a second glance. It may be a cultural thing, but I feel like basic human emotion might kick in and someone would have thought "maybe I should stop and help".

Watching the first car run over her is bad enough, but watching that truck go over her after wards was sickening.

The fact that the good Samaritan was the garbage worker is saddening. Not saddening because it was the garbage worker, just saddening that a dozen people walked by without caring beforehand.
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : Reyes1

https://www.youtube.com/user/L0rdRemington?feature=mhw5

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down