EuroSpore
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEWS: LEGO gets the brick to rule them all

+2
bmpalmann
Andeavor
6 posters

Go down

NEWS: LEGO gets the brick to rule them all Empty NEWS: LEGO gets the brick to rule them all

Post by Andeavor Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:57 pm

NEWS: LEGO gets the brick to rule them all Lego-lotr
Action figures, playsets to include new 'Rings' merchandise
By MARC GRASER

Lego has found its next precious.

Warner Bros. Consumer Products has awarded the toymaker the rights to create action figures and playsets based on "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy and the two upcoming films based on "The Hobbit," the first of which bows at the end of 2012.

The multiyear deal grants Lego access to the library of characters, settings and stories of "The Lord of the Rings," "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" and "The Hobbit: There and Back Again," all helmed by Peter Jackson.

The first toys Lego plans to produce will hit store shelves in June, tied to "Lord of the Rings," with new construction sets planned for the weeks leading up to the Dec. 14 bow of "An Unexpected Journey."

"Only Lego, with their expertise in the construction category, is capable of doing justice to the incredibly imaginative environments depicted in the world of 'The Lord of the Rings' and the two films based on 'The Hobbit,'" said Karen McTier, executive VP, domestic licensing and worldwide marketing, Warner Bros. Consumer Products. "These films give life to amazing worlds and characters and we are thrilled to bring fans these products that deliver an imaginative play experience befitting of these beloved properties."

Warner Bros. has a long history with Lego.

Lego has produced toys around the studio's "Harry Potter" franchise, the Batman and "Speed Racer" pics and now the entire DC Comics library. Lego also has tied toys to Disney's "Pirates of the Caribbean," "Toy Story," "Cars" and "Prince of Persia" pics, and has long had the "Star Wars" and "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" license.

Warner Bros.' Lego-made DC toys are also expected to hit store shelves next year, the same time Lego will also release its Marvel line, tied to Sony's "The Amazing Spider-Man" and Disney's "The Avengers."

"Our collaboration with Warner Bros. Consumer Products has delivered numerous worldwide successes in the construction toy aisle, introducing us to loyal audiences who love great stories, strong characters and the toys that they inspire," said Jill Wilfert, VP, licensing and entertainment for the Lego Group. "It's particularly exciting to now be able to create sets based on the fantasy worlds and characters from 'The Lord of the Rings' trilogy and 'The Hobbit,' not only because we know they will foster collectability and creative play, but also because these are two properties that our fans have been asking us to create for years."

Going after film franchises has paid off for Lego, with "Harry Potter" and "Star Wars" helping the toymaker top $1 billion in sales in the U.S. for the first time in 2010, a figure it's confident to repeat again this year. Altogether, sales are up 106% for the fourth-largest toymaker since 2006, the company has said.

This year, shipments of Legos to stores between August and October are up more than 65%, according to Panjiva, a New York-based data firm.
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118047584

It's about time! awesome
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

Back to top Go down

NEWS: LEGO gets the brick to rule them all Empty Re: NEWS: LEGO gets the brick to rule them all

Post by bmpalmann Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:27 pm

That article is summed up by this word:

WIN
bmpalmann
bmpalmann
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : bmpalmann/ Remyxomatosis

Back to top Go down

NEWS: LEGO gets the brick to rule them all Empty Re: NEWS: LEGO gets the brick to rule them all

Post by sjhorm Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:32 am

I want the Tower of Barad-dur or Rivendell. :'D
sjhorm
sjhorm
EuroSpore 1975
EuroSpore 1975

Male
Spore Name : sjhorm

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:14 am

I think the last time I owned legos in any form was in year 5 of primary school. I built bigger blocks out of the little blocks and then threw it at things to see if it would smash. So clearly I was never the one to actually try and build things.

Still it would be rather BA to have a lego Sauron's eye or lego Balrog.
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : Reyes1

https://www.youtube.com/user/L0rdRemington?feature=mhw5

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:13 am

LEGO is the best toy I ever had Smile
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male
Spore Name : Vektrix / SporeMasterVek

http://www.eurospore.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by MjrGlory Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:36 pm

Am I the only one that thinks these new lego movie themed themes suck? It's so unimaginative. I mean, you can literally build anything with it yet you stick to copying others. It's like the spore player that only builds pokemon. Now don't get me wrong, lego is by far the best toy I've ever had (I really have a sh*tload of lego, still do, stored somewhere), but everything I got was build once by the book and then I turned it into something new. I just wish they had somewhat more creative people working there atm.

Btw: any of you guys has ever seen the lego house episode of "James May's Toy Stories"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEFPhXl3QQY

It's brilliant.
MjrGlory
MjrGlory
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : MjrGlory

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:22 pm

Have you ever been to a LEGO convention? There are still thousands of people who buy and collect all kinds of themes and build their own stuff. The problem is that it's a hard market to aim for these days, especially for the kids.

The company has been in danger of going under in the last decade and if it weren't for Star Wars and other movie themes and their respective video games, they could've closed their doors for good. They even tried something creative. There was an MMORPG called LEGO Universe but even that didn't quite work out - it recently went offline.

It's a different world out there and imagination is rather given than made up. I know, it's a sad outlook but I'm glad we still get some LEGO themes to play and build with and as long as there are enthusiast that take and buy those bricks and make something on their own, hope is still around.
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:44 am

I saw it MjrGlory, very funny and very clever.

Equally, LEGO has always made themed sets, that is how they sold them for most of their history. The good thing about LEGO is that you combine sets and make your own worlds, you do not have to stick to the original design. I remember owning a ton of Medieval knight sets, and I do not think I ever once stuck to the original design. I also combined it with the colourful sets I had (the medieval set was very grey).
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male
Spore Name : Vektrix / SporeMasterVek

http://www.eurospore.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down