EuroSpore
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chatbox Ettiquette

+16
LoD
ComTek
LordRemington
bmpalmann
sjhorm
Thobe
Vektrix
PirateNori
Blaze
Mudo
SuperLoki
ProbablynotHax
Shadow
OneDeadSlime
Tyranidking
Arkanay
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Chatbox Ettiquette Empty Chatbox Ettiquette

Post by Arkanay Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:15 pm

Yeah, why does that homeless scum keep telling us to not post our awesome signatures in the chatbox? Why isn't we can't put images there? And why can't we spam there aswell?!
I think he hates us. Maybe he's a person with problems and takes it out on us!
Why can't we post our images in the chatboooooooooooooooooooooox?!

The reason you shouldn't put images nor spam in the chatbox is because it makes the chatbox Lag for certain users. As you know very well what lag is, you're certanly aware that it's something very annoying and action breaking. This is one of the reasons why you shouldn't do neither of the above in the chatbox. Of course, a moderator can always clear when they're around, which is alright. But sometimes none is around and the situation can get very annoying for the users.
Another reason is that it glitches when you post images. The glitch it does is when someone types, the chat scrolls up towards the image. Again, this happens to certain users and is very annoying aswell. Then again, a moderator can give it a clear but it's frowned upon if you do so.
Not to mention spam goes against the rules.

How do I show my awesome images to my friends then?

There are several ways you can do this without breaking the moment for the users in the chatbox. You can either send a PM to your friends with the image or you can simply do the following: Post a link in the chatbox, politely explain what the link leads to and ask if nobody minds having a look. Being polite towards others moves you miles. Don't forget about that. Even if they're rude towards you, try to remain always polite and decent. Also, you must remember, if you want others to look and give interest in what you show, they probably want the same from you ... Wink

But people ignore me when I post a link! That's why a post images! Duh!

People aren't forced to look at what you show them. Keep in mind they might not have interest in doing so and that is in their right. There's nothing you can do about it. Sometimes, people might have accidently have missed the link, if the chat is possibly moving too fast. Simply post the link again and explain you'd appreciate if somebody looked at it. Getting angry and being /wrist about it makes people not want to look at it even more. Being polite will take you far. It's way more likely people will see if you politely ask them to then if you jam a link into their faces. And even if they don't, just let it go, as it obviously seems they don't take interest in it.

But sometimes I spam because I'm bored...

A little spam every once in a while (like many emotes, singing a song) is definatly not going to hurt anyone. I myself do it sometimes. We're not hardcore here, we all like to have a laugh and spend a good time. Just keep it mind that something you find funny might be annoying towards others. Also remember not to take everything too seriously. This is an entertainment place so try to have an open spirit. If it bores you too much, there are many things you can do. There's youtube to listen to music, check funny videos, see game trailers, movie trailers... There's free game websites, where you can play all sorts of games... You always can go watch television, exercise, go out, read a book.

What about when people get angry at me!? I didn't do anything!

If people got angry at you and you have no clue why, give them some space to cool off. In a day or two, just ask them how they're doing and ask what you've done wrong, so you may redeem yourself. If you disagree with what the person said, simply try to clarify things. Always keep it polite and decent. If someone happens to be rude and abusive, report it to a moderator. Sometimes people aren't angry at you, although it might seem like it. That's why it's a good idea to ask them and try to solve things in a civillized way.

But people bully me and keep making fun of my name...

If this situation is simply friendly fire, like people just joking around not meaning any harm, either keep an open spirit and join the fun, or ignore the situation, by either leaving the chat or not saying anything. If something happens that disturbs you, ask the people not to repeat such situation and explain why. If the abuse continues, report it to a moderator. I myself haven't seen abuse much here, but I do see people joking a lot and others getting offended over it. Towards the jokers, try to tone it down a little. Always try to enjoy a good time but also give room for others to stand up. Towards the jokers victims, either join an innocent fun or if it bothers you that much, ask them not to do so, explaining why. If they repeat, ignore it and report it to a moderator. No matter what, always keep it polite.

What happens to me if I spam, post images, harrass or am abusive to other users in the chatbox?

Chances are, you'll be asked by a moderator to stop. Please don't challenge moderators, as when they usually state something, is because there IS something going on. If a moderator asks you to stop doing something, then do it. It's the best for everyone, including yourself. Of course, if a moderator demonstrates to be abusive, report it to an admin. If you proceed with breaking the rules, it's likely that you'll get a kick. Understand that you were kicked because you were doing something wrong, something against the rules. If you choose to return to the chatbox, don't come in rage, like I've seen many cases. That just lowers your chances of success. Keep it always polite and always ask if you have questions. If for some reason, you continue breaking the rules, it'll end up in a ban. Accept the ban instead of seeing it as someone attacking you. If you were banned, it was because you were breaking the rules, therefor were banned for the general's population benefit. Still, if you think you didn't deserve a ban, send a PM to a moderator asking why.
If there are no mods in the chatbox, yet a report happens, moderators or admins will have a word with the one breaking the rules, where we'll try to solve the situation. The events that will then happen are similar to the above.

I was banned! Evil or Very Mad I'm gona do a thread and murder everyone! Evil or Very Mad

No, no, no and no. Doing this, will very likely increase your ban and lower your reputation greatly. If you have any questions regarding a ban, send a PM to a moderator and politely ask the reason for the ban and other questions you may have. Always be polite and if you have to leave, don't make a scene. It just spoils it for everyone.

Is this the last question?
No.

What about this one?
Yes.

Ideas to retain:
- Be polite;
- Be patient;
- Have an open spirit;
- Think twice before doing something (Always try to see many different sides to a situation);
- Try to understand other's points of view, at least respect them;
- Try to have a sense of humour, slightly at least Smile;
- Report any abuse towards you and ignore the responsible (Or politely confront him/her and talk things out);
- Don't post images in the chatbox;
- Don't spam.

Last edited by Arkanay on Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:09 am; edited 8 times in total
Arkanay
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male
Spore Name : Arkanay

Back to top Go down

Chatbox Ettiquette Empty Re: Chatbox Ettiquette

Post by Tyranidking Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:50 pm

Arkanay wrote: Sometimes people aren't angry at you, although it might seem like it.

This, you have no idea how many times I get asked why I'm so angry, when I was in an arguably content mood Unsure

I imagine it is my general severity as well as the fact I'm brutally honest, but still. I'm not always angry, half the time the only way to genuinely annoy me is to say you're going to hurt an animal or do something questionable, or if you're being sexist/racist/fascist/ other things I do not approve of. Do any of the above and you're asking for trouble, really, but otherwise I'm generally just a content fellow. If I SEEM angry, don't jump to the conlusion that I AM angry. Check the topic to see if there is a genuine reason for me being angry. If there isn't one, you can bet it's just my general brutal honesty or behaviour giving the impression.

I don't like people thinking I'm angry all the time, because I'm generally not. I earned that reputation from people saying bad things about animals.
Tyranidking
Tyranidking
EuroSpore 1965
EuroSpore 1965

Male
Spore Name : Nidking

Back to top Go down

Post by OneDeadSlime Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:55 pm

He's european.
OneDeadSlime
OneDeadSlime
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : warmslime / SporeMasterSlime

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:20 am

Ignore them Arkanay, i think you do a great job and your a good friend^^
Shadow
Shadow
Exiled

Female
Spore Name : alien7249

http://www.daac.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:20 am

Shadow wrote:Ignore them Arkanay, i think you do a great job and your a good friend^^

Better than ignore them, I educate them =P
Arkanay
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ProbablynotHax Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:43 am

I get more angry than any of you.

Yeah, arkanay is a real tool.
ProbablynotHax
ProbablynotHax
Regular
Regular

Male
Location : *Generic pseudo-intellectual, melancholy phrase I found on another forum*

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperLoki Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:45 am

Shush Hax.

We all feel anger. Regrettably, some more than others.

And Ark, if people are giving you a hard time, report it in the forum and we'll discuss it. It should not be tolerated.
SuperLoki
SuperLoki
EuroSpore 1997
EuroSpore 1997

Female
Spore Name : Rebecca1208

Back to top Go down

Post by Mudo Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:46 am

This coming from the guy who can't stop making references to a giant black rooster. Lol, Nice suggestions Ark. Should do some good. Very Happy
Mudo
Mudo
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : Mudokon117

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:48 am

Nobody's giving me a hard time Wink
I just thought it'd be a funny way to put the situation :-)
Arkanay
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mudo Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:51 am

I know, I know. Just finding a funny way to put the situation of your obsession with male poultry. But really, this is a good post. I kinda think it would make a good sticky to go along with the rules.
Mudo
Mudo
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:53 am

I was replying to Rebecca but cheers anyways Razz
Arkanay
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mudo Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:54 am

Lol, I hate when that happens. x) Sorry all.
Mudo
Mudo
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Blaze Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:17 am

I was gonna say somethin but I stopped....I thought this was a forum game til I actually read the OP Chatbox Ettiquette 636769
Blaze
Blaze
Delegate
Delegate

Male
Spore Name : Blazeer

http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/Blazeer

Back to top Go down

Post by PirateNori Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:37 am

None of this seems civilized
PirateNori
PirateNori
Delegate
Delegate

Male
Spore Name : PirateNori

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:34 am

PirateNori wrote:None of this seems civilized

It is an inevitable occurence of many people joining together in one place for any period of time, conflict will always arise, even where none seems possible, that is unfortunately the nature of humans in a group.

Good stuff Arkster, keep up the good work.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male
Spore Name : Vektrix / SporeMasterVek

http://www.eurospore.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:01 am

i agree with vektrix, it is sadly the great human trait Sad
Shadow
Shadow
Exiled

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Thobe Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:05 am

I agree, Ark is so annoying
Thobe
Thobe
EuroSpore 1954
EuroSpore 1954

Male
Spore Name : Thobewill

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:16 am

Thobe wrote:I agree, Ark is so annoying

Razz

Two more questions added Wink
Arkanay
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:50 am

i think thobe's avatar is annoying^^
Shadow
Shadow
Exiled

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by sjhorm Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:42 am

lol, if Thobe's avatar is annoying....
sjhorm
sjhorm
EuroSpore 1975
EuroSpore 1975

Male
Spore Name : sjhorm

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:00 am

sjhorm wrote:lol, if Thobe's avatar is annoying....

Touché Laughing
Arkanay
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bmpalmann Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:44 am

God Ark why do you have to be such a pain!
I mean, doing your job as a moderator, it's so inconvient!

Note to self: sarcasm works much better when it hasn't been typed Razz
bmpalmann
bmpalmann
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : bmpalmann/ Remyxomatosis

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:36 pm

Ark's not annoying... Insane, crazy and quite possibly the zodiac killer yes, but annoying.............no
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : Reyes1

https://www.youtube.com/user/L0rdRemington?feature=mhw5

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:25 pm

Reyes1 wrote:Ark's not annoying... Insane, crazy and quite possibly the zodiac killer yes, but annoying.............no

That's the most beautiful thing someone ever said to me Razz

Cool
Arkanay
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:00 am

Hey anyone who can evade justice that long has my respect