EuroSpore
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Climate Changes

+9
Hutch
PirateNori
Tyranidking
bmpalmann
MilkAndCookies
LoD
SuperLoki
Arkanay
Icedmask
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Climate Changes Empty Climate Changes

Post by Icedmask Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:07 am

In 100 years from now, all the ice around the northpole will be gone.. We call it Climate Changes, what do you think of it? do you agree/disagree?

Discuss below
Icedmask
Icedmask
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : Icedmask

Back to top Go down

Climate Changes Empty Re: Climate Changes

Post by Arkanay Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:22 am

Events of ice melting nearby the poles have occurred in the past.
Globe warming isn't making it much better.

I believe everyone just has to try to be more "green", in order to make the world a healthier place for everyone :-)
Arkanay
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male
Spore Name : Arkanay

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperLoki Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:31 am

Not sure what to think of it, to be honest.

If anything, having read about previous events and the general pattern of climate change, this one is going at a far faster pace than usual. Then again, this one has a cause.
SuperLoki
SuperLoki
EuroSpore 1997
EuroSpore 1997

Female
Spore Name : Rebecca1208

Back to top Go down

Post by LoD Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:33 am

There isn't a north pole or south pole, The Earth is flat. Smile

LoD
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Male
Spore Name : "LoD"

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkAndCookies Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:34 am

LoD wrote:There isn't a north pole or south pole, The Earth is flat. Smile

How do you explain China ppl not falling from it? Hunf
MilkAndCookies
MilkAndCookies
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Female
Spore Name : -

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperLoki Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:37 am

Magic. Miracles.
SuperLoki
SuperLoki
EuroSpore 1997
EuroSpore 1997

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by MilkAndCookies Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:38 am

SuperLoki wrote:Magic. Miracles.
Good theory. Hmmm.
MilkAndCookies
MilkAndCookies
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Female
Spore Name : -

Back to top Go down

Post by bmpalmann Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:54 am

I’m fairly sceptic about the concept of global warming, as there is significant evidence against the greenhouse effect and other vital components of the theory. For example, in Yorkshire, in the UK, there is proof that vineyards were there on a large scale. Easily large enough to be an export of the region, at the moment the only way you would grow grapes in most of the UK is in a greenhouse. Now in theory for grapes to grow in somewhere like Yorkshire it would have to be about 5 degrees warmer on average.

Having said that i do accept that climate change is a fact, for it’s very important not to confuse the 2 theories together... the polar ice caps are certainly melting but it has been recently discovered that the board for dealing with environmental threats had been exaggerating the figures. I think that actually we are looking at a natural occurrence, the biggest difference this time is us as in past major climatic shifts we had been nomadic in our existence.

Speaking as someone who lives in the county of Norfolk and area which potentially, if the figures are to be believed, might be flooded within my life time. The big problem is civilisation has got us used to living in one place, if the predicted effects of climate change are reliable, the one of the most plausible and certainly viable options would be a mass migration further in land.

The economic game theory tells us what the rationality is behind doing nothing in relation to the environment is, in the short term, far better for our economies. Hence why summits like the Copenhagen summit have given insufficient and on the whole half-hearted promises from countries such as the USA and China, who benefit (in an economic sense at least) from making other countries do the work. Luckily the Obama administration has, despite the economic difficulties made much bigger commitments to helping the environment.

Ironically, although i’m sceptic of global warming, but a firm believer in climate change. My lifestyle is significantly greener than most the people i know who would class themselves as eco-friendly. We are damaging our planet, but not in the ways that people are determined to believe we are. The Gorillaz’s album Plastic Beach highlights some of the real environmental threats we’ve created...
bmpalmann
bmpalmann
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : bmpalmann/ Remyxomatosis

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperLoki Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:57 am

(simple answer :lol)

I believe in climate change, but Global Warming, I'm very sceptic of.

In general, I do not trust the government. That plays a big part in my beliefs over Global Warming.

Secondly, I've seen parts of both arguments between if it's really happening, what the government is doing about it, and the science behind it all. So I'm uncertain if it's all true or not.
SuperLoki
SuperLoki
EuroSpore 1997
EuroSpore 1997

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyranidking Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:01 am

You want doomsday scenarios and good arguments for both sides?

Look no further than http://www.exitmundi.nl/

It has good explanations for some of the most bizarre doomsday events possible. Climate change and Global warming are both on there, and the arguments are awesome.

Then the really strange ones that fry your brain come in...
Tyranidking
Tyranidking
EuroSpore 1965
EuroSpore 1965

Male
Spore Name : Nidking

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperLoki Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:02 am

I'm interested Smile
SuperLoki
SuperLoki
EuroSpore 1997
EuroSpore 1997

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by bmpalmann Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:04 am

Economic game theory sums up what the government is doing about it. They have to be seen to do something, but that doesn't mean they are actually making an impact.
bmpalmann
bmpalmann
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:06 am

Seeing from that perspective we'll never be really sure of what is and what is not happening.

But what we can be sure of is that certain human actions are damaging the planet and it's up to every single one of us to change this course of events and make the world a healthier place.

There is a Danish association that helps world's problems. But they only act in situations they are entirely sure of the outcome. For example, they choose to use their funds in sending vitamins to African villages, instead of spending it on Global Warming Research.
Why? Because it's known for a fact that the vitamins will save millions of lives, while in the other case there is not really a strong enough evidence that global warming research will save lives.

As I said, I think the general population should focus more on doing what they can, how they can. By acting in a green way, helping who is in need, etc.
Arkanay
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bmpalmann Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:10 am

If you want an example of how we've messed things up that's not in relation to Global Warming, theres a part of the Pacific Ocean where the currents have created an area where a large percentage of the world's waste has been accumulating for some time now.
Which is where Damon Albarn got the idea for Gorillaz Plastic Beach because this place is not too far from becoming an actual fact...
bmpalmann
bmpalmann
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PirateNori Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:12 am

Oh you mean the trash island? visited there for holiday.

not fantasic.
PirateNori
PirateNori
Delegate
Delegate

Male
Spore Name : PirateNori

Back to top Go down

Post by Icedmask Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:19 am

Ive heard of it, some people say it is as large as France o_o

If you do believe in global warming or not, it does not hurt to be a little more green in your life. People will eventually understand, when the consequences of the climate change reach them, but then it can already be too late.

I personally believe that we humans are responsible for the last 150 years of global warming (Yes, the first signs came under the industrial revolution in the mid 1800's) I think it's pretty naive to believe that the nature will adapt to the higher temperature, and that this is all natural, it's not.

We're facing an worldwide disaster here if not the climate are being the prior. Sadly, the whole financial crisis suddenly became more important then the future. But I'm an optimist, i think we one day will overcome the climate challenges and live in peace with mother nature, once more.
Icedmask
Icedmask
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Hutch Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:53 am

Icedmask wrote:Ive heard of it, some people say it is as large as France o_o

If you do believe in global warming or not, it does not hurt to be a little more green in your life. People will eventually understand, when the consequences of the climate change reach them, but then it can already be too late.

I personally believe that we humans are responsible for the last 150 years of global warming (Yes, the first signs came under the industrial revolution in the mid 1800's) I think it's pretty naive to believe that the nature will adapt to the higher temperature, and that this is all natural, it's not.

We're facing an worldwide disaster here if not the climate are being the prior. Sadly, the whole financial crisis suddenly became more important then the future. But I'm an optimist, i think we one day will overcome the climate challenges and live in peace with mother nature, once more.

That, or all of humanity dies off and global warming instantly ends, Uhhh. No. That ain't going to happen. As long as we have people who are making billions off industries that are harming the environment. It's not going to happen, I'm also convinced that the Rising temperatures is because of the trajectory of how the earth orbits around the sun, it's not going to remain the same, so we might get closer. Increasing temperatures, it might go further away. Causing lower temperatures it has happened before. I do still know that human industrialization is harming the ENVIRONMENTS of the earth, but harming our climate? I'm going to need a lot more solid evidence, because I'm pretty sure the people who came up with global warming theory are the same people who said we were going to die in a EXTREMELY cold and unforgiving winter a couple of decades back. Did we? I don't think so.

Last edited by Thestarwarsgeek on Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total

Hutch
EuroSpore 1948
EuroSpore 1948

Male
Spore Name : Thestarwarsgeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Billith Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:01 am

Global warming is happening, but it doesn't mean everywhere will get hotter.
Billith
Billith

Spore Name : Billith

Back to top Go down

Post by bmpalmann Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:01 am

You're pretty close StarWars, the orbital path the earth follows isn't fixed, the path we are or at least in theory are entering brings us a little closer to the sun than we are normally. With the ice ages it was the opposite, our orbital path took us a little further from the sun hence ice...
bmpalmann
bmpalmann
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:08 pm

Global warming, or greenhouse effect as I prefer to call it, does not mean it gets hotter on the entire planet. It aids the climate to change on a global scale. Cold parts will become warmer and warm areas will drop a few degrees, ultimately leading to another ice age until it all starts over.

Icedmask, did you know the gulf stream has a vital geographical effect on the coast of Norway? The warm current reaches all the way up to the Scandinavian coastline, carrying warm winds, preventing it from freezing over in winter. That way the country has been able to keep up sea trade for ages.

Now, if you'd stop or redirect the current in any way, the stream wouldn't be able to carry the warm weather and the coast would freeze over in winter, closing off half the border from access.

The scary thing is, this could all occur naturally, so we must keep an eye on our overal climate and find ways to prevent speeding up the natural process before being plunged into the next ice age. Meanwhile, money and greed prevent us from doing so because big oil and big pharma want to keep us polluting the planet and destroying our bodies with crap we don't need so they can make enough dough to spend it on overly-expensive crap they don't need.

But thats another story.
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

Back to top Go down

Post by Icedmask Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:46 am

Andeavor wrote:Icedmask, did you know the gulf stream has a vital geographical effect on the coast of Norway? The warm current reaches all the way up to the Scandinavian coastline, carrying warm winds, preventing it from freezing over in winter. That way the country has been able to keep up sea trade for ages.

Yep, know that =) But in the next 100 years the gulf stream will be reduced, so there is possible that the average temperature will sink in Norway, while rising in other places of the world.
Icedmask
Icedmask
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MjrGlory Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:16 am

Man made global warming is big bs. Climate change on the other hand is not. Through the entire existance of the earth the climate has changed and it's not like we are having changes out of the ordinary right now.

The IPCC (international panel on climate change) has fabricated the lie of carbondioxide being solely responsible for the changes in temperature. They have "changed" temperature numbers to better fit the results, they have left out valid data that doesn't support their theory, they propagandize their own theory and silenced scientist with opposing results. Google 'climategate' and you'll with a bit of a decent search you'll find all the results. Ow yeah and the IPCC takes one specific factor not even in account with their measurements and theory: the sun! Yes you heard it right the sun.
While it has already been shown that the sunactivity (sunspot ammount) is in direct correlation with the earth's temperature. Furthermore they base their theory on computer similations while past working with simulations show a standard error of at least 300% Nowhere near accurate future predictions if you ask me. And of course for computer simulations count: crap in = crap out.
And just think about it: they can't predict the weather 2 weeks in advance, but they do know what the climate will do in 50 years? And CO2 the gas that keeps all plantlife on earth alive (the stuff that we breath out for God's sake) is killing the planet?

And about the Northpole: yes it seems it is melting, but do know that the northpole is only 10% of the Earth's ice suply. Antarctica has 80% of the ice and is actually growing atm and another 10% can be found in glaciers with melt and grow back seasonally.

On a sidenote: polar bears and not near extinction. The population has actually grown with a whopping 30% of the last 2 - 3 decades.

And even if CO2 would be the culprit here human CO2 production is nothing compared to nature. Did you know that a single vulcanic eruption is good for an amount of CO2 that we would produce in 70 years?

Anyhows, I got plenty more arguments on this, but my message is to search for yourself (which does not mean believe what they hand to you on the news, but do a throughout search on the web)

And if you're wondering why they would lie about such a thing: how about the world-wide carbon tax they like to see implemented? And the infamous gap and trade system. In which Al Gore and the rest of the corrupt elite has massives shares and interest in. The fact is that a 90% carbon reduction will cripple the world's economy and lower our living standards far more than you can imagine...
Man made global warming is only a fearmongering tactic to get them what they want.

And to end my epic rant :p here's a nice little fact you can look up. In the 70's there was the so called threat of 'global cooling' which was advocated by the same propaganda machine as glabal warming today. This global cooling they said was the result of a substance that we produced to many of...... yea, you guessed it right! Wink
MjrGlory
MjrGlory
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : MjrGlory

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:21 am

So when are you going on Oprah to talk about that? Lol Razz
Arkanay
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:22 am

Arkanay wrote:So when are you going on Oprah to talk about that? Lol Razz
I think Larry King has the better audience.
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

Back to top Go down

Post by MjrGlory Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:48 am

Laugh all you want....
MjrGlory
MjrGlory