EuroSpore
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Words and phrases you can't stand

+21
Shadow
jellyman12
Sakiara
Illusionary
LordRemington
Tyranidking
LoD
sjhorm
Didzo
Shardna
world_piece
SuperLoki
bmpalmann
Trick
Icedmask
Vektrix
Dormin
Vereor
Arkanay
UltimateZob
Andeavor
25 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Words and phrases you can't stand - Page 2 Empty Re: Words and phrases you can't stand

Post by Andeavor Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:26 am

According to my thesaurus, there are over 120 synonyms for 'stupid', 'gay/ghey' is none of them.

Oh my God, Goddammit, God help us and other sayings are part of our literary culture. They have long lost their original meaning and have replaced the need to express our emotional reaction in words. They have nothing to do with being religious, as it would violate one of the ten commandments and a truly religious person (in biblical times, of course) would have never used it, yet nowadays we all use them, whether we're religious or not Christian, Jew or what have you.
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

Back to top Go down

Words and phrases you can't stand - Page 2 Empty Re: Words and phrases you can't stand

Post by SuperLoki Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:29 am

Gay is Stupid in Slang, to put it simply. People use all sorts of stupid words for completely unrelated meanings. I hear people here say 'Cool bruv' which means basically means 'Hello' (I wish I didn't speak chav/gangster/rudeboy)

Point is, in slang, word =/= meaning. It more or less doesn't make sense, and it really differs between cultures and cities.
SuperLoki
SuperLoki
EuroSpore 1997
EuroSpore 1997

Female
Spore Name : Rebecca1208

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:31 am

But since it leads to mentioning God, and one does not believe God, it does not really make much sense.

Although what you said about having a new society meaning is true, hence the last part of my previous post.

Still, I avoid using it nowadays and search other ways to express what I feel.
Arkanay
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male
Spore Name : Arkanay

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperLoki Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:33 am

So do I, I've started being a bit more careful with what I say, but old habits are very hard to break, especially when you're not even thinking about it.
SuperLoki
SuperLoki
EuroSpore 1997
EuroSpore 1997

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:43 am

I do not support the crippling of any language. About 100 years ago, people used whole paragraphs to express the most simplest of emotions. They wrote letters several pages longs describing their past few days to loved ones. Nowadays, we grunt at each other in passing or send a quick text message with abbreviations and terrible spelling. As a society, we have spiraled too far down the gutter. We should at least try and preserve of the language what we can.

And I can't replace "For God's sake" without breaching any censor.
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperLoki Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:48 am

Yes, the common language is absolutely atrocious, but sadly, that is how it is now, and I feel it can only get worse.

With that said, I can't stand people 'hu spk lyk dis'. I'm embarrassed to admit I used to write like that, too.
SuperLoki
SuperLoki
EuroSpore 1997
EuroSpore 1997

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by sjhorm Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:50 am

SuperLoki wrote:Yes, the common language is absolutely atrocious, but sadly, that is how it is now, and I feel it can only get worse.

With that said, I can't stand people 'hu spk lyk dis'. I'm embarrassed to admit I used to write like that, too.

Yet history repeats itself. One day people will be literate again, when they discover cell phones cause brain tumors, or something.
sjhorm
sjhorm
EuroSpore 1975
EuroSpore 1975

Male
Spore Name : sjhorm

Back to top Go down

Post by LoD Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:03 am

"eurospore" it really makes me uncomfortable. Sad

LoD
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Male
Spore Name : "LoD"

Back to top Go down

Post by Trick Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:09 am

Arkanay wrote:What about people that are not religious and say, 'Oh my god' ?

I tend to say it sometimes aswell, although I realise it does not really make much sense if you are not religious. scratch

Patterns of behavior learnt from observation and imitation.

I substitute (as do some others) God (not god, God. I'm not religious, but God should be spelt with a capital G) with "days".

Oh my days.
Trick
Trick
EuroSpore 1992
EuroSpore 1992

Male
Spore Name : bobmarleyrulz

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyranidking Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:14 am

Trickatel wrote:

I tend to say it sometimes aswell, although I realise it does not really make much sense if you are not religious. scratch

I substitute (as do some others) God (not god, God. I'm not religious, but God should be spelt with a capital G) with "days".

Oh my days.

My way of doing it is "by the gods". of course, I can use "my god" if I'm referring to only one of several animal gods/goddesses.

On this topic, chav speak, and anything inspired by little britain and other modern shows aggravates me no end.
Tyranidking
Tyranidking
EuroSpore 1965
EuroSpore 1965

Male
Spore Name : Nidking

Back to top Go down

Post by sjhorm Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:15 am

Trickatel wrote:

Oh my days.

Once in a while I say oh my gosh, but it makes me sound like I'm 8. Razz
sjhorm
sjhorm
EuroSpore 1975
EuroSpore 1975

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperLoki Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:17 am

I used to say 'fudge/fudging' and 'sugar' a lot, and really meant it. That was back when I absolutely would not swear.

I got teased for it >_>

If it means anything, I ignored them at the time, and me swearing started off as a lot of accidents to a casual thing Razz
SuperLoki
SuperLoki
EuroSpore 1997
EuroSpore 1997

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by LoD Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:17 am

I don't like it when people say the word "fag" Sad They usually call me it and it hurts my feelings.

LoD
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Male
Spore Name : "LoD"

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyranidking Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:18 am

I mostly don't swear, but push me into my sensitive points and I can become...very imaginative with words, to say the least.
Tyranidking
Tyranidking
EuroSpore 1965
EuroSpore 1965

Male
Spore Name : Nidking

Back to top Go down

Post by sjhorm Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:18 am

lol, a kid in my class messed up his math homework and he had to start again, and he goes,
Spoiler:

In spoilers because it may offend, I don't know.
sjhorm
sjhorm
EuroSpore 1975
EuroSpore 1975

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:18 am

Well as I've stated else where, it drives my up the wall when someone speaks in text language. I'm apologize to anyone who does, but it drives me insane. lol, rofl anything like that drives me nuts. Now if someone says it jokingly, then fine, haven't got a problem with it, but when people actually use text language to substitute normal talking or laughing..... ugh..

There really aren't that many sayings that I hate, its more the inflection used when people say things that can be annoying or offensive.
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : Reyes1

https://www.youtube.com/user/L0rdRemington?feature=mhw5

Back to top Go down

Post by Illusionary Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:49 am

LOL, sj.

It really offends me when people say "I'm sorry" and they don't really look sorry. They don't really act sorry either. They're so sorry, but they NEVER speak to you again, because their sorry was like nothing so your forgiveness is like nothing to them.

*sigh*
Illusionary
Illusionary
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Male
Spore Name : ghostofillusion

Back to top Go down

Post by Dormin Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:22 am

I HATE it when someone calls me a...

"Freak"...

Or, "Idiot"...

I hate this phrase: "Figure it out for yourself, genius."
Dormin
Dormin
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : Possum95

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakiara Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:21 pm

Most things don't bother me. But saying things such as "not really" for yes or no questions doesn't really make sense.

I used to call things gay for stupid but I stopped doing that when I was talking to masscolder... Sad
Sakiara
Sakiara
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Female
Spore Name : Sakiara

Back to top Go down

Post by Dormin Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:25 pm

I hate it when someone says: "I told you so".
Dormin
Dormin
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : Possum95

Back to top Go down

Post by jellyman12 Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:01 pm

Words and phrases rarely bother me, but I hate it when people say "No Offense" when it actually is offensive.
jellyman12
jellyman12
EuroSpore 1948
EuroSpore 1948

Male
Spore Name : jellyman12

Back to top Go down

Post by Didzo Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:56 pm

Andeavor wrote:I do not support the crippling of any language. About 100 years ago, people used whole paragraphs to express the most simplest of emotions. They wrote letters several pages longs describing their past few days to loved ones. Nowadays, we grunt at each other in passing or send a quick text message with abbreviations and terrible spelling. As a society, we have spiraled too far down the gutter. We should at least try and preserve of the language what we can.

Well, think of it this way... There are still those who are capable of expressing "simple" emotions and feelings articulately and artfully. And I am quite sure that not everyone back then was able to write like that. A beautiful letter would be far more likely to be preserved than mundane writing. Also, our ability to be in almost constant contact with people on the other side of the globe through technologies such as phones, instant messaging, social networking sites, texting, and emails lessens the need for writing a few paragraphs to describe your week in a letter.

I do hate texting abbreviations though.

But I still use some of them, lol.

Didzo
Didzo
EuroSpore 1948
EuroSpore 1948

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:53 pm

I can't stand gang slang, like "bruvva" and "innet" stuff like that drives me crazy. The phrase "Alright chuck" really rubs me up the wrong way.
Shadow
Shadow
Exiled

Female
Spore Name : alien7249

http://www.daac.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:57 am

"No Offence" is good as it gives you a reason to be offended.

"Bless You" has God connotations too, as does lot of language. My mum is truly offended by people taking the Lord's name in vain (it is also one of the ten commandments not to take his name in vain.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male
Spore Name : Vektrix / SporeMasterVek

http://www.eurospore.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateZob Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:42 am

@Vek: Although I'm not "truly offended" when people take the Lord's name in vain, it does... irk me.
UltimateZob
UltimateZob
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : UltimateZob

http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/UltimateZob

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next