EuroSpore
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEWS: London Riots Spread

+6
Icedmask
Trick
TyrannoFan
Andeavor
bmpalmann
Vektrix
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

NEWS: London Riots Spread Empty NEWS: London Riots Spread

Post by Vektrix Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:48 am

Violence has broken out for a third consecutive day in London, with riot police deployed and firefighters tackling blazes across the capital.

Cars were set on fire in Lewisham and a bus and shop were set ablaze in Peckham. A large furniture shop in Croydon is also well alight.

In Hackney, police sealed off an area after police car windows were smashed.

The prime minister is returning early from holiday to chair a meeting of the government's emergency committee Cobra.

David Cameron, who is on holiday in Italy, was due to board a flight on Monday night ahead of a meeting with Home Secretary Theresa May and Acting Metropolitan Police Commissioner Tim Godwin.

Trouble flared earlier after a man was stopped in Hackney and searched by police but nothing was found.

There were also fears trouble may spread further afield as police in riot gear were deployed in Birmingham city centre after scores of youths rampaged through the shopping area, smashing windows.

The fresh violence prompted Mr Godwin to called on parents to contact their children and urged the public to clear London's streets.

Up to 200 police officers in riot gear are in the Hackney area and are clashing with youths, who have tried to set fire to vehicles.

Groups of people began attacking the police in Hackney at about 16:20 BST, throwing rocks and a bin at officers.

Police cars were also smashed by youths armed with wooden poles and metal bars.

Looters also smashed their way into shops, including a JD Sports store, before being dispersed by police.

Planks of wood taken from a lorry were then hurled towards lines of riot officers.

Violence has broken out in Peckham, south London, where a shop and a bus have been set on fire.

In nearby Lewisham, a number of vehicles and a trail of bins on fire.

At least 215 people have been arrested and 25 charged following the riots across London over the last two days.

In Birmingham City Centre looters have attacked several shops, smashing windows and stealing items.

An eyewitness said windows have been smashed in McDonalds and Jessops near Birmingham Cathedral and a sign has been thrown through a gym window.

London's mayor Boris Johnson is cutting short his holiday to return to the city.

Home Secretary Theresa May also returned early from holiday, to meet Metropolitan Police (Met) chiefs to discuss their response to the violence.

Mrs May condemned the riots as "sheer criminality" and said those responsible would "face the consequences of their actions".

The trouble follows two nights of violence over the weekend which started after police shot a man dead in Tottenham.

Mrs May said: "The riots in Tottenham on Saturday night and the subsequent disturbances in other parts of London are totally unacceptable."

A peaceful protest in Tottenham on Saturday over the fatal shooting by police of Mark Duggan, 29, was followed by violence which spread into Sunday.

A candlelit vigil was due to be held at The High Cross in Tottenham on Monday evening.

Met Deputy Assistant Commissioner Stephen Kavanagh said there were "significant resources" on the streets, with a third more officers on duty than on Sunday.

He said: "What we can see is that the Metropolitan Police are getting police officers there in numbers.

"When we have large numbers of criminals intent on that type of violence, we can only do that, get lots of officers there quickly and try to protect local businesses and local people."

He also admitted relations with the family of the man shot dead by police could have been handled better.

Mr Kavanagh said: "I want to apologise to the Duggan family because I think both the IPCC (Independent Police Complaints Commission) and the Metropolitan Police could have managed that family's needs more effectively."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14450248

----------

I say arrest the lot and put 'em in jail. No-one seems to really understand why it started anyway.

Last edited by Vektrix on Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male
Spore Name : Vektrix / SporeMasterVek

http://www.eurospore.eu

Back to top Go down

NEWS: London Riots Spread Empty Re: NEWS: London Riots Spread

Post by bmpalmann Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:05 am

The real shock is the age of the looters, some are 10 years old, 10!
Some of the ringleaders are 16 year old girls, there isn't a real motive for this either, it's not politically driven, it's not even necessarily to do with Socio-economics either. That's what is strange, there's usually an ulterior motive for this sort of behaviour, but there are youths breaking into shops to get the latest designer trainers.
I passed through Oxford Circus today, there were people actually talking about this on the tube to complete strangers, and if you haven't been to London that much, Londoners talking to strangers about anything is unusual Razz
bmpalmann
bmpalmann
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : bmpalmann/ Remyxomatosis

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:07 am

I agree. If you don't have a proper reason to destroy public and private property, you should face the consequences.

On another note. What is it with BBC.co.uk and their ticker tape-ish online articles? They can't seem to form proper paragraphs. It actually is harder to read it that way as it's just like double line spacing this way.

Facepalm
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

Back to top Go down

Post by TyrannoFan Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:16 am

Shoot 'em. As for the 12 and under, just arrest them for as long as the law allows.

Oh I'm sorry, this isn't America. But if it was, I can assure you this riot wouldn't have lasted an hour, let alone 3 days.

EDIT: I don't find it surprising that some people that are looting are young. Trust me, the youth in this country are bloody retarded.
TyrannoFan
TyrannoFan
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Male
Spore Name : Creaturepre

Back to top Go down

Post by bmpalmann Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:00 am

Best page for keeping up to date with the Riots
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14449675
bmpalmann
bmpalmann
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:10 am

They must have riots in America - I only ever hear of their massacres unfortunately. I suspect in America during a riot you are much more likely to die though - what, with the guns and all.

Updates:

Riots or major disturbances in Manchester, Birmingham, Liverpool, Leeds, Nottingham and Wolverhampton.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Trick Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:17 am

I'm glad that I'm abroad right now, and I do find it disturbing that the youth of our country are doing such things.

On the other side, it does show that something is wrong with our system. As for what it is, is another matter.
Trick
Trick
EuroSpore 1992
EuroSpore 1992

Male
Spore Name : bobmarleyrulz

Back to top Go down

Post by bmpalmann Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:41 am

One thing that worries me a bit it where are the riots going to spread to next?
If they hit where i live in Norwich there'll be a lot of trouble, most of the police in Norfolk are in London at the moment, also the areas that will be hit will probably be the city centre (obviously) but also a few roads in the "Golden Triangle" area, i live in the middle of this area, and have a lot of elderly neighbours. Not good prospects.

What we need is some bad weather, which sounds stupid but almost all of the riots that take place in Northern Europe take place i good weather, once the good weather is gone riots tend not to happen.
bmpalmann
bmpalmann
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Icedmask Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:37 am

I have been able to follow these riots for the last days, and it's really sad to hear about so many young people using their time on things like this.

On the other hand, no mercy for those who are being arrested. Jail with minimum facilities would be fine. And the guardians for those under 18 should loose the right to even have children.
Icedmask
Icedmask
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : Icedmask

Back to top Go down

Post by bmpalmann Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:25 am

Yeah, the fact that it appears to be mainly people under 20 involved which makes this all so weird and shocking.
The police need to bring in water cannons those are pretty good against crowds and non-lethal
bmpalmann
bmpalmann
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:45 am

I think calling them riots is now stupid. Just seen some footage on both ITV News and BBC News - they are commom thieves. It may have started as an angry response to the shooting of Mark Duggan. It now just seems to be mass burglary for the sake of mass burglary.

The Fires appear to be a side effect of this.

It was annoying, actually Ben, a lot of Tweets suggesting Riots in Preston, where I live. The fact that people even joke about this sort of thing is bad in itself.

Interestingly, the ITV News did the Olympic Games angle tonight. Do they realise the day after London won the Olympics 52 people were killed in proper terrorist attacks in London - no talk of it then. On a note of this nature, I did wonder if Al Qaeda would have attacked the winning city whichever it was on that day.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bmpalmann Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:59 am

There are rumours that there might be riots near where my girlfriend lives, however she lives fairly out of the way so she wouldn't be effected by them anyway, but still it's kinda scary how they're spreading
bmpalmann
bmpalmann
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:25 am

Part of me wonders if these people were in Syria, whether they'd Riot then.

Hope your girlfriend is Ok, Ben, I think most of it is hype for tonight, considering the police presence I've seen on the news.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:32 am

Whatever happened to summer school, camp or other activities?

I assume most of these kids are on vacation with nothing to do and no-good parents who'd rather blame the school and government for their unskilful parenting.
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Red-Indigo Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:08 pm

Its crazy that the police are asking parents to 'find' their children, in order to stop the riots. I think its 'youths' jumping on the bandwagon that's making it spread.

I heard in one report, as Vek mentioned, that it was to do with the police shooting of that guy. It's obvious he was no darling, because the armed police were going to arrest him. They obviously expected trouble in doing so. Apparantly 3 shots were fired, and he was killed by only one. I later heard he was involved in Caribbean Arms dealing. How true that is I don't know but he was definitly up to somthing.

I guess that's how it started, his gang or whatever being angry. Others just jumped on the bandwagon. It's spreading too, we had small riots (well more like acts of mass vandalisim rather than 'riots') near where I live, but they were so pathetic it only made local headlines.

Really stupid behaviour if you ask me, right at the moment it's the last thing England needs to be dealing with. Hope it dies down soon.

EDIT: Just had the police in, handing out flyers to local businesses about what to do in various events. I guess its because there was a little trouble near by, which they are blaming on the fact people know a lot of our police force is up at London. Seems that a lot of everyone's police force is in London at the moment really...
Red-Indigo
Red-Indigo
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Female
Spore Name : Orbixitron

Back to top Go down

Post by bmpalmann Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:22 pm

Cameron has given permission for the police to use plastic bullets...big mistake, sometimes people are killed by plastic bullets, any deaths will aggravate the rioters even more as there will be the "martyr effect" Neutral
bmpalmann
bmpalmann
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by OneDeadSlime Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:27 pm

bmpalmann wrote:Cameron has given permission for the police to use plastic bullets...big mistake, sometimes people are killed by plastic bullets, any deaths will aggravate the rioters even more as there will be the "martyr effect" Neutral

Better than using real bullets. Also to be killed by a plastic bullet would require to be shot at point blank at the heart (it's very hard for a plastic bullet to penetrate your head, unless it hits you in the eye :S ), and even then it's not certain. I think plastic bullets are the ideal solution in cases like this.
OneDeadSlime
OneDeadSlime
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : warmslime / SporeMasterSlime

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:27 pm

bmpalmann wrote:Cameron has given permission for the police to use plastic bullets...big mistake, sometimes people are killed by plastic bullets, any deaths will aggravate the rioters even more as there will be the "martyr effect" Neutral

Or the "my-friend-was-just-knocked-out-by-a-plastic-bullet-on-the-head-so-I-better-chill-out effect".

---

I hope your girlfriend's all right, Ben. It musn't be very nice to have these things happening just outside your house.

Violence such as this often does not lead to a positive outcome. They're just bringing trouble upon themselves, the people who are rioting.

And I bet a large amount of those "kids" have no idea why they're rioting.
Arkanay
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male
Spore Name : Arkanay

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:16 pm

Apparently, citizens are taking matters into their own hands. I just read small business owners are buying baseball bats and clubs left and right on Amazon and other sources to protect their property.
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bmpalmann Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:24 pm

Yeah, in today's newspaper i read that the historian Dan Snow rugby tackled and performed a citizen's arrest on some looters Razz
And tbh, the police are too thinly spread, whilst i'm not condoning a vigilante attitude towards the rioters however if the riots spread to Norwich and start coming in my direction I'd be armed with a cricket bat, so i can see and understand why this is happening.
bmpalmann
bmpalmann
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by OneDeadSlime Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:25 pm

Okay first of all, do you really need Amazon to buy a bat/club ? :/

Secondly, well, I still think bats are MUCH better than shotguns.
OneDeadSlime
OneDeadSlime
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : warmslime / SporeMasterSlime

Back to top Go down

Post by Red-Indigo Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:41 am

bmpalmann wrote:Yeah, in today's newspaper i read that the historian Dan Snow rugby tackled and performed a citizen's arrest on some looters Razz
And tbh, the police are too thinly spread, whilst i'm not condoning a vigilante attitude towards the rioters however if the riots spread to Norwich and start coming in my direction I'd be armed with a cricket bat, so i can see and understand why this is happening.

Nah, vigilante attitude will aggrevate things, It would be awful having people going out to batter the rioters and cause a huge amount of other problems. But, if it was on my doorstep and there were people trying to loot my house, a baseball bat would be ideal. I think once it comes to a personal level, well you have to put yourself first.

As for the police, they are too thinly spread. I'm suprised in the heavier effected areas they haven't rolled out the water cannons yet. I'm expecting it.

On the subject of baseball bats, my boss jokingly said (when I mentioned the police notices they handed out) 'What did they advise? A baseball bat?' So it's on everyones minds I guess Razz
Red-Indigo
Red-Indigo
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Female
Spore Name : Orbixitron

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:57 am

Fight Fire with Fire and you'll burn the building down.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:02 pm

Now a policeman is blaming GTA as a motivator for the spreading riots:

http://uk.games.ign.com/articles/118/1186734p1.html
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:28 pm

Andeavor wrote:Now a policeman is blaming GTA as a motivator for the spreading riots:

http://uk.games.ign.com/articles/118/1186734p1.html

Only a matter of time - I tweeted a couple days ago wondering when Heavy Rock Music, Gangsta Rap and Violent Video Games would be blamed. Hint: GTA did not cause it, I bet many of the rioters/looters have never seen it, and what about all those that do play it and weren't involved?
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down