EuroSpore
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEWS: Heartwarming GameStop Story of the Day

+2
LordRemington
Andeavor
6 posters

Go down

NEWS: Heartwarming GameStop Story of the Day Empty NEWS: Heartwarming GameStop Story of the Day

Post by Andeavor Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:47 am

GameStop doesn’t exactly have a reputation as the place where warm and fuzzy stories happen, but shift manager Kristen Wolfe recently posted a tale of two brothers that should dampen the eyes of gamers everywhere.

A young boy, maybe 10 or 12 years old, came into GameStop with his high-school age brother, and he was looking for a game with a female protagonist. They picked out Mirror’s Edge, and the little boy also chose a purple controller — his favorite color.

Just as they were about to check out, their father came into the store and ordered the little boy to pick a “manlier” game with more guns, and put back the purple controller, or else he’d “whoop him.”

The older brother stepped in, telling their dad, “It’s my money, it’s my gift to him, if it’s what he wants I’m getting it for him, and if you’re going to hit anyone for it, it’s going to be me.”

The dad backed down and left the store, and the big brother and GameStop manager Kristen comforted the young kid and told him there was nothing wrong with the stuff he picked out.

So, although GameStop wasn’t directly responsible, something heartwarming did happen at one of its stores. And sticking up for a kid and letting him be himself in the face of an abusive father is definitely better than a kick in the nuts.
http://geeks.thedailywh.at/2012/01/10/heartwarming-gamestop-story-of-the-day/

This was the saleswoman's response:

Spoiler:
http://sweetupndown.tumblr.com/post/15242399360/dear-customer-who-stuck-up-for-his-little-brother

We really need to put a stop on gender roles and let kids enjoy whatever manly or girly thing they want. My sister and I even shared our toys - from Matchbox cars to Barbie dolls and Transformers to stuffed animals.
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

Back to top Go down

NEWS: Heartwarming GameStop Story of the Day Empty Re: NEWS: Heartwarming GameStop Story of the Day

Post by LordRemington Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:49 am

That little kid's brother is a champ, for both standing up to his pig-headed father and also allowing his little brother to be himself. That father is pathetic.

Also I agree that there shouldn't be gender roles. Some parents feel they have to differentiate boy's stuff from girl's stuff, but for god's sake, a boy playing a video game with a female protagonist, or playing with a purple remote is not going to cause gender confusion.
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : Reyes1

https://www.youtube.com/user/L0rdRemington?feature=mhw5

Back to top Go down

NEWS: Heartwarming GameStop Story of the Day Empty Re: NEWS: Heartwarming GameStop Story of the Day

Post by Vektrix Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:48 pm

*Applauds the brothers, glares at the father*

I wonder if the father would say the same if the game was Tomb Raider, and where does he get the idea that purple is a girly colour (afterall it is made from two "manly" ones)

Equally, I wonder if he'd have said or done the same if it was Smackdown vs Raw or X-Men (which have many female characters to play as - as well as male ones). the idea that Video Gaming is a man's world is just not true, and the father should be ashamed that he wanted to make his play video games that most of the media would claim is ruining kids.

I'd happily use a Purple controller (or a pink one) and I'd happily play a Video Game where the lead is female - all I care is that the controller works and that the game is worth playing.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male
Spore Name : Vektrix / SporeMasterVek

http://www.eurospore.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Blaze Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:48 am

I don't blame the father at all...for leaving the store.

If I was the big brother, somebody would've gotten 'whooped', and it wouldn't have been me or the little bro. While I don't have any games where females are protagonists, I'd happily buy one if it looked interesting. And I have a purple controller for my gamecube, so I have nothing against that color.

I think Dad took too much time off his pain pills Wink
Blaze
Blaze
Delegate
Delegate

Male
Spore Name : Blazeer

http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/Blazeer

Back to top Go down

Post by Didzo Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:02 am

Blaze wrote:I don't blame the father at all...for leaving the store.

If I was the big brother, somebody would've gotten 'whooped', and it wouldn't have been me or the little bro. While I don't have any games where females are protagonists, I'd happily buy one if it looked interesting. And I have a purple controller for my gamecube, so I have nothing against that color.

I think Dad took too much time off his pain pills Wink

what
Didzo
Didzo
EuroSpore 1948
EuroSpore 1948

Back to top Go down

Post by Blaze Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:00 am

What's what?
Blaze
Blaze
Delegate
Delegate

Male
Spore Name : Blazeer

http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/Blazeer

Back to top Go down

Post by TyrannoFan Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:15 am

The father's such a prick. I mean really? First, Mirror's Edge is great and second purple is an awesome colour. Really though, I think of purple as more of a boy's colour than a girl's one :/ Dunno why he didn't like the purple colour.
TyrannoFan
TyrannoFan
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Male
Spore Name : Creaturepre

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down