EuroSpore
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greatest FPS... ever.

5 posters

Go down

Greatest FPS... ever. Empty Greatest FPS... ever.

Post by Vektrix Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:09 pm

Hi guys, I am quite a fan of First-Person Shooters, but I am, strangely, very particular about them. I, for instance, don't like Call of Duty, much preferring Resistance. My first ever FPS was Wolfenstein 3D which I thought was graphically awesome and would never be surpassed (this was the early 90's), then Doom was released with even better graphics. I have finished Doom and Doom 2 on the hardest levels though. Then came Quake, which I did not like for some reason.

For now, though, I am just happy with Unreal and Resistance, though Half-Life was cool, I have never played Halo. However, if I was to vote for the greatest FPS ever, it would have to be Doom as it started the whole FPS craze. Incidentally, Doom 3 is poor as far as I am concerned.

I may add a poll to this at some point, but would like to gauge your ideas first.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male
Spore Name : Vektrix / SporeMasterVek

http://www.eurospore.eu

Back to top Go down

Greatest FPS... ever. Empty Re: Greatest FPS... ever.

Post by LordRemington Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:12 pm

Right well my first person shooter history actually started with Golden Eye. I loved that game.

You mentioned doom, I actually played the games in reverse. The first Doom game I played was Doom 3, which I thought was alright, Doom 2 for a little bit, but good, and I found the first Doom surprisingly addictive despite the fact I only started playing it when graphically it was ancient.

Never been a massive fan of the call of duty series. I played number 2 and finished it. Was alright. Played World at War which was my favorite, mostly due to Nazi zombies. Played Modern Warfare 2 and while its okay, I just never got into it. And I don't care one bit about Black Ops, I've lost complete interest in the series.

I've played all of the Halo games Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo wars (not FPS) Halo: ODST and Halo Reach, and I really like all of them.

In terms of which one I played the most. Definitely Halo 3. Very addictive. Halo reach is awesome, but I just love the overpoweredness of the Master Chief. Halo Reach is a combo or ODST and Halo 3.

I've played quake 2 and quake 4. Finished both, but was never a massive fan.

This isn't a well known game, but I rather enjoyed it. Prey. Pretty short (only about 4 hours long), but it was definitely a very fun game. The spirit mode was cool to play with in the game. Glad they are making a sequel.

However for me, the greatest FPS shooter of all time, without a shadow of a doubt is Time Splitters: Future Perfect.

For me it is literally the perfect game, let alone perfect FPS. I love Timesplitters 2 which I'd consider the second best FPS of all time, but Future Perfect just built on what time splitters 2 had and made it even better.

Firstly it is one of the few games that I've seen where it is genuinely funny. The humor in the game is great, which is what the Time Splitters series is known for.

Everything about it is awesome. Massive range of bizarre, funny and weird characters to play as, amazing and incredibly diverse range of weapons all with unique and sometimes fun properties. The main story is very funny and gets you into it.

The maps both storyline and multiplayer are fantastically designed. The multiplayer with a ton of game types and, is awesome as you can have up to 16 or more bots if I remember correctly. You have a map editor where you can make anything and any game type.

The challenge mode is awesome as the challenges are all very fun e.g using a sniper to shoot water melons out of monkeys hands without hurting the monkeys and monkey curling.

Literally the only problem with this game is the vehicles. The vehicle handling is...... well retarded. However there are only two times in the entire game where you use a vehicle so its not at all important.

10 out of 10 from my perspective. If you haven't played it, play it. Its the best.
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : Reyes1

https://www.youtube.com/user/L0rdRemington?feature=mhw5

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:29 pm

I have played a Time Splitters game, and I thought it was amazing, I spent most of my time in the map editor though Laughing

Operation: Flashpoint was a good game too, but, like Time Splitters, making your own mission was much more fun.

I only briefly played Quake 4, but I did finish the original Quake.

For a genuine FPS, you can't beat Duck Hunt on the NES Laughing and if there are two of you, the person without the gun can control the ducks Smile
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Drew980 Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:07 pm

I will give you 3, Halo 1,2,3. If I had to pick one. Probably Halo 3. I never had so much fun with any game ever. If I still had It would still be playing it.

Call of duty 4 was good, I stopped there. They are milking that name so hard right now. Its the same damn thing, shoot kill, shoot kill. No exploring a story thats entirely based around the same thing (shooting and killing) and all you do is earn exp so you can get more stuff that does not change the game at all.

Drew980
Drew980
EuroSpore 1948
EuroSpore 1948

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by world_piece Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:35 pm

COD4 was pretty impressive. It hasn't been the same since that. It's gone down hill and ends up babysitting hyperactive kids. Campaigns are short and multiplayer gets old fast.

Heretic is another classic FPS. It was basically Doom but involved magical weapons.

Golden Eye. Can't forget this one. It was groundbreaking when it came out. Multiplayer with all those cheats made for fun times and non stop action. I still occasionally play it with friends. Rocket Launchers are the bomb.

Crysis. This game had a polarizing response. Those who were affluent in the FPS genre dismissed it as generic while those who bought it because their computers could run it fell in love with it. I fall into the latter category. The thing I loved most about this game were the destructible environments. The fact that you can shoot down Palm Trees and drop them on top of a group of enemies just adds so much more depth to a game. I liked the storyline and atmosphere as well.
world_piece
world_piece
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Spore Name : world_piece

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:53 pm

I vaguely remember Heretic, although it was released the same time as Descent (ish) and that involved flying.

Goldeneye is one of the all time great multiplayer Video Games... especially on Paint Ball mode. It is great to pwn a couple people in a room, leaving paint marks everywhere, and then watching a fourth person scarper the moment they see the carnage.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:21 pm

My first person shooter was Wolfenstein for Mac. It is a great game, with a very cool sound track.

My favourite FPSs, however, are Unreal (the original, not tournament) and the Marathon series. Both these games bring together some very nice gameplay and a great plot and atmosphere.

I do have other FPS, like:
- Medal of Honor Frontline (For PS2);
- Area 51 (PS2 as well):
- Unreal Tournament; Unreal Tournament 2004; Unreal 2; Unreal Tournament 3 (All for PC)
- Alien vs Predator (The most recent game of the series for PC)
- Cryostasis (PC)

I probably have more FPSs, but those are all I can recall atm.

I have also played Doom, Quake and Duke Nukem when I was younger. Great games. Razz
Arkanay
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male
Spore Name : Arkanay

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down