EuroSpore
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEWS: LimeWire Being sued for somwhere between $400 billion and $75 trillion

+6
Aletrius
Arkanay
SuperLoki
Red-Indigo
Descardion
LordRemington
10 posters

Go down

NEWS: LimeWire Being sued for somwhere between $400 billion and $75 trillion Empty NEWS: LimeWire Being sued for somwhere between $400 billion and $75 trillion

Post by LordRemington Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:29 am

$75 trillion.

$75,000,000,000,000.

That’s what the major labels wanted in damages from LimeWire.

However, last week Manhattan federal district court judge Kimba Wood dismissed the $75 trillion damages request as “absurd” and noted that the major labels were suggesting a pay out that is “more money than the entire music recording industry has made since Edison’s invention of the phonograph in 1877.”

The case was filed back in August 2006 when the record companies brought action against LimeWire for copyright infringement, alleging that the website has allowed users to share and download unauthorized digital copies of more than 3,000 recordings.

The $75 trillion figure was reached because the record companies want compensation for every time a song was shared by LimeWire users; judge Wood has concluded that LimeWire can only be fined a single statutory fee for each copyright infringement.

To put $75 trillion in perspective: the World’s GDP for 2011 is estimated to me a mere $65 trillion, while the estimated total household income for the United States is expected to be roughly $5.7 trillion in 2011. And in completely unrelated news the North Korean government also demanded a $75 trillion pay out from the US government last year.

The music industry wants more from LimeWire than what the United States owes to Americans and other countries across the globe.

ZoomOn May 11, 2010, the music industry won its battle against LimeWire LLC, as the court found that the company had induced multiple users of the LimeWire P2P file-sharing program to infringe the copyrights of Warner Bros Records, Sony Music Entertainment, Capitol Records and ten other labels. The litigation is now in the damage phase, with a trial on damages scheduled for May 2, 2011. The record companies are demanding damages ranging from $400 billion to an insane $7.5 trillion.

But in a 14-page opinion signed on March 10 (pdf), United States District Judge Kimba Wood labeled the record companies' damages request as "absurd" and contrary to copyright laws. Previously the plaintiffs argued that Section 504(c)(1) of the Copyright Act provided for damages for each instance of infringement where two or more parties were liable. Given that LimeWire had over 50 million users per month downloading millions of files a day, the resulting damages would be "staggering."

"As it stands now, Defendants face a damage award that 'could be in the hundreds of millions of dollars (if not over a billion dollars),'" the judge said. "Indeed, if one multiplies the maximum statutory damage award ($150,000) by approximately 10,000 post-1972 works, Defendants face a potential award of over a billion dollars in statutory damages alone. If plaintiffs were able to pursue a statutory damage theory predicated on the number of direct infringers per work, defendants' damages could reach into the trillions."

In essence, take the 50 million LimeWire users and multiply that number with the maximum statutory damage award of $150,000. The resulting number is the staggering $7.5 trillion USD. That would mean LimeWire would owe just over half of the national debt which now trickles over $14 trillion and is steadily climbing. "Absurd" is an ideal word for the music industry's demands based on those numbers.

"As defendants note, plaintiffs are suggesting an award that is 'more money than the entire music recording industry has made since Edison's invention of the phonograph in 1877,'" Wood added. "The absurdity of this result is one of the factors that has motivated other courts to reject Plaintiffs' damages theory."

By the end of the court order, the judge declared that the thirteen record labels are entitled to a single statutory damage award from LimeWire per work infringed, regardless of how many individual users directly infringed that particular work.

"We were pleased that the judge followed both the law and the logic in reaching the conclusion that she did," said LimeWire attorney Joseph Baio of Willkie Farr & Gallagher in a statement to Law.com. "As the judge said in her opinion, when the copyright law was initiated, legislatures couldn't possibly conceive of what the world would become with the internet. As such, you couldn't use legislative history. Instead, the overarching issue is reasonableness in order to avoid absurd and possibly unconstitutional outcome."

In jest, Baio added that the total sum the record companies wanted from LimeWire would be better spent paying off the nation's debt and investing in healthcare.

Two separate articles. I tend to trust the lower one more. $75 trillion is just.........................good lord....... a lot of money.

Still even if its $7.5 trillion like the second article says, thats still a ridiculous amount of money. money I'm sure LimeWire doesn't, nor probably any company in the world has. How do they expect LimeWire to pay that sum of money?

I would not want to be the leader of LimeWire right now though.

Last edited by LordRemington on Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:39 am; edited 3 times in total
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : Reyes1

https://www.youtube.com/user/L0rdRemington?feature=mhw5

Back to top Go down

NEWS: LimeWire Being sued for somwhere between $400 billion and $75 trillion Empty Re: NEWS: LimeWire Being sued for somwhere between $400 billion and $75 trillion

Post by Descardion Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:37 am

DOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO

No more pirates.
Descardion
Descardion
Regular
Regular

Male
Spore Name : Impious_Iron
Location : "'Welcome to my parlor' said the Spider to the Fly..."

Back to top Go down

NEWS: LimeWire Being sued for somwhere between $400 billion and $75 trillion Empty Re: NEWS: LimeWire Being sued for somwhere between $400 billion and $75 trillion

Post by Red-Indigo Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:40 am

I don't think this is so much about regaining money, but making an example out of limewire and trying to disuade anyone from running anything similar.

That guy is going to lose everything, his house, business, everything. He will be paying for the rest of his life too, bankruptcy is probably the only option he has here. That's like toppling a huge opponent, makes a pretty big statement, as well as a detterent.

I can't say I am paticularly annoyed by it, nor am I in support. I can see it did alot of damage but limewire didn't ever say it was for illegal downloads. In the same light they never did anything to stop what it was used for.

Red-Indigo
Red-Indigo
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Female
Spore Name : Orbixitron

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperLoki Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:56 am

Heh, I heard about this. Every report/article I saw mentioned the 75 trillion.

Needless to say, Anonymous were outraged.
SuperLoki
SuperLoki
EuroSpore 1997
EuroSpore 1997

Female
Spore Name : Rebecca1208

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:11 am

My girlfriend tried accessing LimeWire the other day and was confronted by a shut down site. Now it all adds up.

Yarr yarr feedlee dee dee, being a Pirate is all right with me!
Arkanay
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male
Spore Name : Arkanay

Back to top Go down

Post by Aletrius Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:43 am

I'm still trying to figure out how one would even go about suing for $75 trillion...

Even $400 billion sounds way too excessive.
Aletrius
Aletrius
EuroSpore 1992
EuroSpore 1992

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Red-Indigo Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:46 am

I think they are just going for pure overkill, to make an example out of the whole situation and to make sure they lose everything. Although it would be interesting to hear how they did go about it.
Red-Indigo
Red-Indigo
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Female
Spore Name : Orbixitron

Back to top Go down

Post by OneDeadSlime Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:35 pm

Tbh, limewire sucks, there are better ways to get what you want that I won't go into here, and you can't really stop these.
OneDeadSlime
OneDeadSlime
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : warmslime / SporeMasterSlime

Back to top Go down

Post by Illusionary Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:30 am

$75 trillion seems like a bit too much, honestly.

I've got most of my music legally (getting at least 50 songs a month), and remember using LimeWire when I was really uneducated about the Internet... I believe I was about 10 or 11.

How they can sue for anything above one trillion is beyond me.
Illusionary
Illusionary
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Male
Spore Name : ghostofillusion

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:34 am

I think maybe they're doing what Red said - Going for an overkill and scare the C out of people.
Arkanay
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male
Spore Name : Arkanay

Back to top Go down

Post by OneDeadSlime Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:53 am

Illusionary wrote:$75 trillion seems like a bit too much, honestly.

I've got most of my music legally (getting at least 50 songs a month), and remember using LimeWire when I was really uneducated about the Internet... I believe I was about 10 or 11.

How they can sue for anything above one trillion is beyond me.

It's not a matter of them getting the money (which they won't, obviously) it's closing any company that is behind Limewire.
OneDeadSlime
OneDeadSlime
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : warmslime / SporeMasterSlime

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:50 am

Even in its hay day Limewire was crap. Instead of suing for copyright infringement, they should rather approach these companies and make a deal.

This reminds me of the hardship of getting to watch television shows from other countries online. Out of legal reasons, the networks can only allow local people to watch it (F you, Hulu) and I have neither the patience nor the tolerance to wait for them to come to a local network - dubbed of all things. So, the rest of the world is forced to find the material elsewhere. Although, in the case of television shows, it was never illegal taping a program for a friend to catch up later with, right?

As for music, they're now trying to create cloud-based access to songs. You pay a basic fee and will have acces to all songs from the same production company.

The internet has sure changed the face of media exchange, it's about time we change laws and forms of distribution that won't result in thought-to-be serious companies asking for an insane amount of monetary compensation.
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

Back to top Go down

Post by ProbablynotHax Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:29 am

Thomas1134 wrote:I'm still trying to figure out how one would even go about suing for $75 trillion...

Even $400 billion sounds way too excessive.

As Slime said, that's the point.

They aren't trying to get that amount of money, it's for discouraging purposes and for show.

Try as they may, nothing can be done about piracy in the long run. Pirate
ProbablynotHax
ProbablynotHax
Regular
Regular

Male
Location : *Generic pseudo-intellectual, melancholy phrase I found on another forum*

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down