EuroSpore
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEWS: Swiss Girl convicted for Insult on Facebook

4 posters

Go down

NEWS: Swiss Girl convicted for Insult on Facebook Empty NEWS: Swiss Girl convicted for Insult on Facebook

Post by Andeavor Tue May 10, 2011 3:44 am

A 19-year old girl from St. Gall, Switzerland, was convicted for insulting a man on Facebook.

She called him a "sod" and a "sad person" during a controversial discussion about the local culture center KuGl (Kultur am Gleis - Culture at the Rail track). In Swiss German, the insult is more in the tone rather than the actual words.

Experts called her behavior cyber-mobbing, which was emphasized by her threatening comments on the man's Facebook page. He pressed charges, which landed both of them in court. The girl pleaded not guilty and even apologized to the victim in form of a letter - a noble gesture but too late by the judge's account.

It is "frightening" what kind of insults are hurled about on internet-forums, the judge said. He spoke of a "kind of virtual rout". It wouldn't have taken much more until the victim could've been in serious danger.

The conviction isn't yet through but the 19-year old girl already has to pay the minimum of about 1'250 Francs for court costs.

(Original article in German)
http://www.20min.ch/news/ostschweiz/story/11945806

--------------------
On a personal note; I advise everyone to keep their calm on the internet. You can argue with people and have healthy discussions but you should refrain from hurling insults at each other. I understand that many look at the internet as "the interwebz", which is not real life, but once they'll establish laws that make cyber-bullying illegal or a reason to convict someone, the fun and games are over.
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

Back to top Go down

NEWS: Swiss Girl convicted for Insult on Facebook Empty Re: NEWS: Swiss Girl convicted for Insult on Facebook

Post by Didzo Tue May 10, 2011 3:49 am

I'm quite sure the last time I called someone a SPORE in real life did not get me convicted of anything.

Then again, I've never been to Switzerland.
Didzo
Didzo
EuroSpore 1948
EuroSpore 1948

Back to top Go down

NEWS: Swiss Girl convicted for Insult on Facebook Empty Re: NEWS: Swiss Girl convicted for Insult on Facebook

Post by OneDeadSlime Tue May 10, 2011 3:58 am

Didzo wrote:I'm quite sure the last time I called someone a SPORE in real life did not get me convicted of anything.

Then again, I've never been to Switzerland.

Lol

Her fault for having a discussion with a stranger on facebook.
OneDeadSlime
OneDeadSlime
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : warmslime / SporeMasterSlime

Back to top Go down

Post by Descardion Tue May 10, 2011 2:29 pm

I guess the internet really is serious business.
Descardion
Descardion
Regular
Regular

Male
Spore Name : Impious_Iron
Location : "'Welcome to my parlor' said the Spider to the Fly..."

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down