EuroSpore
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEWS: Introducing Nintendo Wii U

+7
LordRemington
Vektrix
Lord_Lonestar
LoD
Vago
sjhorm
Andeavor
11 posters

Go down

NEWS: Introducing Nintendo Wii U Empty NEWS: Introducing Nintendo Wii U

Post by Andeavor Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:34 am

Hehe, Nintendo did it again. Next year will start a new generation in video gaming starting with their new console Wii U.

NEWS: Introducing Nintendo Wii U 5c1b885c-cea9-49e0-98e6-db129d738e111

I know, the name sucks but I like the the whole mechanic. The console itself will not change dramatically but will feature advanced HD graphics. What is revolutionary (or rather evolutionary) is the controller: It's a touchscreen tablet with classic control buttons. The controller acts additionally as a personal HUD, a secondary game view, or can be used in conjunction with the game on the screen.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

For the full presentation, watch this video:

All third party developers are gobsmacked and can't wait to bring their successful franchises to Nintendo once again. awesome

(Pictures are provided from http://thisismynext.com/2011/06/07/nintendo-wii-u-announced/ - I couldn't find any other press photos)
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

Back to top Go down

NEWS: Introducing Nintendo Wii U Empty Re: NEWS: Introducing Nintendo Wii U

Post by sjhorm Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:54 am

This is sexy.

Darn you nintendo for being so awesome
sjhorm
sjhorm
EuroSpore 1975
EuroSpore 1975

Male
Spore Name : sjhorm

Back to top Go down

Post by Vago Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:59 am

So they're making the new Zelda game for it. Crap that means I'm gonna have to buy it. DX
Vago
Vago
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : Omnivex

Back to top Go down

Post by sjhorm Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:00 am

Yeah I know D:
I'll wait and see some reviews first though

sjhorm
sjhorm
EuroSpore 1975
EuroSpore 1975

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LoD Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:08 am

They kept making it sound like it was just a new controller for the Wii though. I was confused. Smile

LoD
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Male
Spore Name : "LoD"

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord_Lonestar Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:34 am

Ipad with buttons?
Lord_Lonestar
Lord_Lonestar
Regular
Regular

Male
Spore Name : LoneStar45

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:18 am

Vago wrote:So they're making the new Zelda game for it. Crap that means I'm gonna have to buy it. DX
Skyward Sword comes out this holiday season for the Wii, what they showed in the promo is a teaser for the next Zelda title.
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Vago Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:20 am

Oh my gosh. Geting a little ahead of themselves are they now.

but the next next one looks amazing. Its got the same feel as Twilight Princess does, at least from what I've seen of it.
Vago
Vago
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : Omnivex

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:06 am

Meh.

As long as long as when it is used solely as a controller it does not feel uncomfortable, get in the way of the experience or make gameplay harder, I am not that bothered. I am not sure it is far enough ahead of the competition to really bowl me over. Bare in mind there are as many Wii's out there as there are Xbox and PlayStation combined.

Equally, if the Wii U (they need a better name) does not have the most up-to-date HD and processing power built-in, it will very quickly get left behind - that to me was the major drawback with the Wii, but it was far different from PlayStation and Xbox at the time.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male
Spore Name : Vektrix / SporeMasterVek

http://www.eurospore.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:24 am

Soo.... is this supposed to be the console to compete with xbox 360 and ps 3 in terms of serious games? Because it just seems like a combination of the wii and an ipad.

Sure its creative and pretty innovative, but it still seems like a fun, non serious system. Still don't think its going to rope in any of the "serious" gamers.

Guess we'll have to wait for more details on it, but I it doesn't seem like a competitor to the 360 and the ps 3, as with the wii, it seems like its in it own category of game system.
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : Reyes1

https://www.youtube.com/user/L0rdRemington?feature=mhw5

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:35 am

I think most people are missing the point. The controller only provides additional gameplay. There's a classic controller built into the "wiipad" and with next-gen HD graphics games for the 360 or the PS3 can also be easily ported for the Wii U, should the devs decide to expand.

It's both fun and serious depending what games you buy for it. They've also said that in the presentation.
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Red-Indigo Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:39 am

Still seems a little gimmicky to me. I don't know if Im all that keen on it, it does seem like an I pad, I dont think I want to have all those screens going at once. I think if its handled well it'll add a new way to enjoy games, but if its not I think it could be disasterous.

Hmm, depends what games they have out on it and how the intergrate that.
Red-Indigo
Red-Indigo
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Female
Spore Name : Orbixitron

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:23 am

Andeavor wrote:I think most people are missing the point. The controller only provides additional gameplay. There's a classic controller built into the "wiipad" and with next-gen HD graphics games for the 360 or the PS3 can also be easily ported for the Wii U, should the devs decide to expand.

It's both fun and serious depending what games you buy for it. They've also said that in the presentation.

I understand that. The golfing and that looked pretty interesting and I'm sure it wii have a lot of interesting features and uses and that the system has the power neccesary to run 360/ps3 games, however I still don't feel like a console like the xbox 360 or ps3. If the wiipad also serves as the controller for other games, it would in my view just be too clunky and big to be practical for fast paced shooter games like COD or Halo. Can't really say though without handle one I suppose, but the button and toggle stick lay out doesn't seem too great for that sort of game.
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : Reyes1

https://www.youtube.com/user/L0rdRemington?feature=mhw5

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:51 am

A better question is, what makes a hardcore gamer console?
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:22 pm

I don't want to use that "Wiipad" to play golf, so it better allow you to use normal Wii controllers. I like the idea of the screen for some games - those with inventories of items and weapons, obviously, but I do not see it being wildly useful beyond that when in tandem with a game.

A hardcore gamer console needs the following.

- Awesome Graphics
- An online community
- High-end processing power
- Be durable
- Be (r)evolutionary, not gimmicky.

As red has suggested, the Wii is in a league of it's own, it currently garners interest from serious and casual gamers. Most games don't even view it is competition for the Xbox or PS3 (I certainly don't). You have a PS3/Xbox and a Wii if you are a serious gamer (in general), really serious gamers have all three.

The Wii was never considered a gamers' console because when released, and to this point, the graphics and processing power of it is on a par with the PS2. The problem is that pretty much all the games for the Wii are cartoony graphics. Don't get me wrong, I love the Mii system, which is where the cartooniness comes from, but surely for Wii U, if they want to keep this (and they need to in order to allow continuation of some Wii games), then the Mii's need to be more like The Sims 3 characters as opposed to what they are now.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Red-Indigo Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:43 pm

I can see the dual screen failing for alot of games. Nintendo might think it'll be a revolutionary approach, for their games it probably will be but once other developers get hold of it, it might not do so well.

They'll either make it so integeral its difficult or add things to it as an afterthought, like 'here is your stat screen, it doesnt do anything, but its cool to look at'.

I agree with Vek on what a 'hardcore/serious' gamer wants, I'd also add to that list that they want submersive gameplay that feels natural. I think this will be capabable of doing this, with the right developers.

I do feel though, they are trying to step up to the kinect within their own niche and I just dont think that's gonna work. How can you compete with somthing that has no controller!?

Also, I like the cartoonish graphics on the nintendo games! I think its part of their brand now, I'd hate to see sim characters. Although more mii options will be nice. I'd also be dissapointed if all the other games held this 'style'. I think it needs to have the capabilities to do high end stuff too.
Red-Indigo
Red-Indigo
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Female
Spore Name : Orbixitron

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:49 pm

@Vek: It was shown that you still play golf with the Wiimote and use the Wiipad to simulate the golfball in front of you on the floor.

Nintendo has been nothing but (r)evolutionary. They helped developing the D-pad/4-button controller basics, the Playstation wouldn't even have existed without their involvement and they were the first to widely use motion control and touch screens for video games. Sony and Microsoft have been nothing but leeching off Nintendo's research.

As for the hardcore gamer console, to me they're like a sports car on a brand-new Formula 1 track come every quarter. I'm always impressed by the great graphics some of these games can deliver but the controls are pretty standard issue with that one gimmick in the gameplay to make it more interesting and from watching some run-throughs online, the games seem too short for the effort.

Red-Indigo wrote:I do feel though, they are trying to step up to the kinect within their own niche and I just dont think that's gonna work. How can you compete with something that has no controller!?
The kinect, in fact, is very limited as you can't really move around in an open world and the demos for most of the games they showed so far are all arcade style "rail-shooters" - I remember those from the late 90s.

I would consider myself a casual gamer, but having been there since day one I have been able to observe the evolution of video gaming with a critical eye. As said before, Nintendo's been the most innovative in that field, Sony has always played it safe by following suit and then some and Microsoft pretty much barged into the video game console market trying to dominating the scene, successfully at that.
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:04 pm

I never said they weren't innovative, they are like Apple for me, they make something (even invent it), and then every other company that can afford it or can use it either improve on it, or do something that they should have done in the first place. The only difference is that I actually like Nintendo, my first console was a Nintendo, I have always wanted a Wii, I want the Wii U, I am just skeptical about it all.

Nintendo, however, to me is a company that unlike Apple struggle to take advantage of their advantages.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by sjhorm Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:59 pm

Vektrix wrote:I never said they weren't innovative, they are like Apple for me, they make something (even invent it), and then every other company that can afford it or can use it either improve on it, or do something that they should have done in the first place. The only difference is that I actually like Nintendo, my first console was a Nintendo, I have always wanted a Wii, I want the Wii U, I am just skeptical about it all.

Nintendo, however, to me is a company that unlike Apple struggle to take advantage of their advantages.

Yeah, most of my childhood lies within the depths of my N64. (Sometimes I'll sneak back and play it once in a while Shh) Nintendo should go back to something like that, I think. Just add HD graphics, and no gimmicks.
sjhorm
sjhorm
EuroSpore 1975
EuroSpore 1975

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by WoityuizE Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:49 pm

Finally we're able to throw data at the TV and force it to show it! Very Happy yey - what needs to be installed in the TV they dont say ofc. xD
WoityuizE
WoityuizE
Regular
Regular

Male
Spore Name : WoityuizE

http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/WoityuizE

Back to top Go down

Post by Goober09 Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:26 pm

I have a couple questions about the Wii U:

1. What does the "U" stand for, anyway?

2. How much are those controllers/large tablets going to cost? O_o

No matter the price, I'll probably end up just getting this anyway lol. Unlike the DS and 3DS, Nintendo won't replace the operating system every year. Laughing

Goober09

Male
Spore Name : Goober09

http://intergalactic-forum.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by LoD Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:03 am

Goober09 wrote:I have a couple questions about the Wii U:

1. What does the "U" stand for, anyway?

2. How much are those controllers/large tablets going to cost? O_o

No matter the price, I'll probably end up just getting this anyway lol. Unlike the DS and 3DS, Nintendo won't replace the operating system every year. Laughing

It stands for You. Mr. American Nintendo President said so himself. Smile
It also can be Unique, Unified, and Utopian.

LoD
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Male
Spore Name : "LoD"

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateZob Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:15 am

It's an interesting idea... combining their touchscreen technology with a console. The controllers look a little bit awkward to hold, though.
UltimateZob
UltimateZob
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : UltimateZob

http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/UltimateZob

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down