EuroSpore
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEWS: Revolution in Northern Africa

+8
world_piece
Hutch
Billith
bmpalmann
Shadow
Arkanay
LordRemington
Andeavor
12 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

NEWS: Revolution in Northern Africa Empty NEWS: Revolution in Northern Africa

Post by Andeavor Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:26 am

First Tunisia, followed by Egypt and now Algier. Even in Yemen the people have enough. It looks like we're watching history in the making.

To be honest, I'm neither familiar with nor have I got much interest in the politics of these countries but now I'm intrigued by all of these events. We have people demonstrating on the streets, police and military holding them off, presidents dismissing their cabinets and mobile as well as online networks capped. The death toll is slowly rising but one thing is clear, change is coming to these countries.

Considering that capital punishment is still active in all of those countries, I'm surprised the people haven't stormed parliament and chopped off their power-mongering presidents' heads off, French revolution style. It may be a naive thought but I'm no expert in these things.

Joking aside, I'm hoping this can all end with less death victims and that they soon adopt a regime that actually gets their people food on the table and a job to go to every day.

What are your thoughts?
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

Back to top Go down

NEWS: Revolution in Northern Africa Empty Re: NEWS: Revolution in Northern Africa

Post by LordRemington Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:07 pm

People will only tolerate so much from an oppressive government before revolting. Good on them for taking their countries back.

And the government shut down the internet within the country so people wouldn't be able to get the word out, but unfortunately its much too late for that considering how many reporters are over there.

Hopefully it sends a message to any other countries ruled by dictatorship. Push too hard and they will turn against you.
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : Reyes1

https://www.youtube.com/user/L0rdRemington?feature=mhw5

Back to top Go down

NEWS: Revolution in Northern Africa Empty Re: NEWS: Revolution in Northern Africa

Post by Arkanay Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:14 pm

LordRemington wrote:
And the government shut down the internet within the country

That's just tossing more wood into the fire.

I'm quite curious to see how this will turn out.
Arkanay
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male
Spore Name : Arkanay

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:55 pm

I think this is only the beginning of something to come. It's about time people stood up for themselves and i must say it gives me hope. The time has come for the people to take control, not the governments.
Shadow
Shadow
Exiled

Female
Spore Name : alien7249

http://www.daac.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:00 pm

Shadow wrote:I think this is only the beginning of something to come. It's about time people stood up for themselves and i must say it gives me hope. The time has come for the people to take control, not the governments.

If you mean global revolution I don't think thats likely. Maybe other countries ruled by Dictatorship, but not 1st world nations. We need governments, without them, society would crumble and we'd fall into anarchy.

At most it might make people in 1st world countries more willing to protest bad decisions made by governments. Which is a good thing.

LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:02 pm

I agree but people will never unite on this world while they are slaves to their own countries. I agree that leadership is required but there should be ONE nation and ONE group of leaders. Put aside money and religion. These are the two biggest causes of death and hatred.
Shadow
Shadow
Exiled

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:11 pm

Shadow wrote:I agree but people will never unite on this world while they are slaves to their own countries. I agree that leadership is required but there should be ONE nation and ONE group of leaders. Put aside money and religion. These are the two biggest causes of death and hatred.

That will never happen unfortunately. There are far too many divisions amongst people for there to be a unfied earth. Countries at each others throats, religious battles, conflicting beliefs, and many peoples plain and simple refusal to unify will always prevent unity.

Also I doubt people would be happy with one government to rule all people as that would be dangerous as, if the wrong people got into power, it could easily turn into a global dictatorship. In some ways we need the division of power. It is never a smart idea to give all the power to a few people. Just like in business, when the people in power are given the monopoly, they become greedy and abuse their positions.
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:21 pm

Are you suggesting a New World Order, Shadow? Help

I wouldn't mind a global organization of our nations, sort of a collective government for each major continent working with each other to solve social problems and improve their economy. This way, each nation can still govern itself but has to approve any international affairs with their continental leadership.

But first, let's wait for the other nations to catch up with their politics.
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:25 pm

One ring to rule them all... Shh

Razz
Arkanay
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male
Spore Name : Arkanay

Back to top Go down

Post by bmpalmann Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:31 am

VIVA LA RÉVOLUTION!
bmpalmann
bmpalmann
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : bmpalmann/ Remyxomatosis

Back to top Go down

Post by Billith Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:35 am

As good as it is that dictators are toppling, I can't help but wonder if the resulting power vacuum in north Africa will result in an anarchy, turning the region into a larger scale version of Somalia, or worse.
Billith
Billith

Spore Name : Billith

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:01 am

Singularity wrote:Are you suggesting a New World Order, Shadow? Help

I wouldn't mind a global organization of our nations, sort of a collective government for each major continent working with each other to solve social problems and improve their economy. This way, each nation can still govern itself but has to approve any international affairs with their continental leadership.

Yes i am Andy.
Shadow
Shadow
Exiled

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by bmpalmann Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:07 am

I've got faith in the people, most of these countries had corrupt and ruthless regimes, and i reckon that the people will completely overthrow their governments and replace them with democracy!
And yes i'm being optimistic! Very Happy
bmpalmann
bmpalmann
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:19 am

Singularity wrote:Are you suggesting a New World Order, Shadow? Help

See that idea I can agree with. All of the national leaders under one banner, but still with independent powers. But not an actual government of the world.

If that were to happen it would most likely be the UN that takes up that role.
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:40 am

The UN is more in the way rather than a help to international affairs. The problem is that most of their incentive is counterproductive. It was formed to prevent wars and not just stand by and suggest an alternative. Plus, no organization can represent everyone, you have to divide it and in this case geographically.

You may be able to share a street with other people but you'll still want your own house, right?
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Hutch Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:56 am

Sadly, this will probably get bloody. Since the governments of northern Africa are pretty much the same power-hungry and corrupt collection of people who will probably refuse any demands the citizens make unless they get their heads cut off and burned in a fire pit. Though that might be extreme, I know that these governments, and civilians probably aren't going to give in without a fight. Though it might not be the kind of "Young Orphans being massacred by government officials" Kind of deal, it still has the potential to get bloody.

Hutch
EuroSpore 1948
EuroSpore 1948

Male
Spore Name : Thestarwarsgeek

Back to top Go down

Post by world_piece Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:11 am

lol, CNN is only focusing on how collapsing countries will affect the US. Never mind the humanitarian side of it.

This is indeed a big thing. Rather amazing to see. A profound domino effect. Must give props to the citizens. They watch their neighbouring countries fight back and they decide to do it, too. Gotta admire standing up on a scale of that enormity.
world_piece
world_piece
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Spore Name : world_piece

Back to top Go down

Post by Drew980 Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:15 am

Saw this on the news. Indeed it is quite interesting. But the things I would rather want to learn about this are absent cause the newscast is too busy worrying about it and somehow bringing our goverment into it.

I don't see why we would need to take any action. Up where I live the news is so terrible.

But yea, big stuff.
Drew980
Drew980
EuroSpore 1948
EuroSpore 1948

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by world_piece Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:18 am

Drew980 wrote:Saw this on the news. Indeed it is quite interesting. But the things I would rather want to learn about this are absent cause the newscast is too busy worrying about it and somehow bringing our goverment into it.

I don't see why we would need to take any action. Up where I live the news is so terrible.

But yea, big stuff.

Television news is atrocious. It's just overly made up 2 dimensional figures reading off a teleprompter. You have to look online now since print is dying as well.

And you have to read articles from various sources so you collectively organize the data and then come to a viewpoint. I find most TV News agencies are so slanted, it's basically a drop-off point for logic and objectivity.
world_piece
world_piece
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Spore Name : world_piece

Back to top Go down

Post by Drew980 Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:21 am

world_piece wrote:
Drew980 wrote:Saw this on the news. Indeed it is quite interesting. But the things I would rather want to learn about this are absent cause the newscast is too busy worrying about it and somehow bringing our goverment into it.

But yea, big stuff.

Television news is atrocious. It's just overly made up 2 dimensional figures reading off a teleprompter. You have to look online now since print is dying as well.

And you have to read articles from various sources so you collectively organize the data and then come to a viewpoint. I find most TV News agencies are so slanted, it's basically a drop-off point for logic and objectivity.

Indeed. The internet works out a lot better for me. Up here there is only one channel for news that comes in. And it of course sucks.

But I ain't here to rant about news and cable..
Drew980
Drew980
EuroSpore 1948
EuroSpore 1948

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bmpalmann Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:24 am

Check the BBC's coverage, it's probably the best single source of news.
I wonder if Francis Fukuyama, with the events sent in motion, is going to be proven right. Is this the final stage in Liberal Democracy's establishment as the "best" way to rule a country?
It's going to be interesting to see what happens over the next few months, who knows we might see more oppressive regimes fall? Or things may take a sinister twist and the military seize control of the country.
bmpalmann
bmpalmann
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:27 am

If you want real news from CNN, go to their website and look at their international news site, and do not rely on American news stations. Jus search for more reliable, unbiased news websites.

Currently, I'm taking my news from a local site/newspaper called 20 Minutes. It's one of those free newspapers you can find on the public transpiration system. They even started a dossier about this "Arabian Spring" as they call it and even update their current articles as new information comes in.

And yes, BBC is good, too. ._.
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by War Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:04 am

Yeah, BBC is the least biased TV network in my opinion. Been following this on their station, and I have to say I'm quite concerned.

Don't want another 6-day war propagated by Islamic radicals...
War
War
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male

http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/Warboss92

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:26 am

Mubarak will adress the nation at 20:00 GMT and will officially announce he may or may not step down tonight. AlJazeera is covering what seems to be history in the making right here.
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:38 am

I wonder what will become of Egypt.
Shadow
Shadow
Exiled

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next