EuroSpore
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEWS: Revolution in Northern Africa

+8
world_piece
Hutch
Billith
bmpalmann
Shadow
Arkanay
LordRemington
Andeavor
12 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

NEWS: Revolution in Northern Africa - Page 2 Empty Re: NEWS: Revolution in Northern Africa

Post by Shardna Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:14 am

A wasteland filled with *possibly* dead bodies and maybe some blood stained grounds? I dunno but the whole idea sounds crazy.
Shardna
Shardna
EuroSpore 1954
EuroSpore 1954

Female
Spore Name : Shardna

Back to top Go down

NEWS: Revolution in Northern Africa - Page 2 Empty Re: NEWS: Revolution in Northern Africa

Post by LordRemington Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:23 am

Watching a live video right now. Apparently Mubarak is going to address the people. Its expected that he might resign. Can only hope so.

https://www.youtube.com/aljazeeraenglish?feature=ticker

Edit: He's just babbling on. It seems less and less likely that he'll resign.....

He's not resigning.....................urgh
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : Reyes1

https://www.youtube.com/user/L0rdRemington?feature=mhw5

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:10 am

Well, it's no surprise, just like every proud, God-fearing politician, he won't resign giving his people just more reason to revolt.

Do people in power lose common sense altogether? scratch
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:39 pm

Mubarak is a fool. The rioting is just going to continue and will almost certainly intensify. Its quite possible if he pushes this too far, he'll end up assassinated.

Why not just resign and have this all over now?
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:56 pm

If somebody planned to assassinate him he would've been dead ten years ago already, or his security people are just that good.

What he is doing is political suicide. He's trying to cling to his position of power and only met the demands that suited him and his position. I think his problem is that after 30 years, he's gotten so delusional living in luxury that he doesn't even really knows what's happening outside his presidential palace. Even his speech felt by rote and he was apathetic at best about the whole ordeal.

From what I hear, the people of Egypt are smart and ready enough to be ruled by a new regime consisting of members of various political positions that will listen and be open for compromise where it is due. It won't happen tomorrow but they certainly are making it more than clear.
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:36 pm

Hm... So he's not coming down from power?
Still curious to see how this is going to end up.

I was listening to the news some days ago and some concern was expressed regarding the Muslim Brotherhood. Apparently, they have some anti-USA aspects in their philosophy (or so I've heard) and could be a potential danger if they somehow rose to power after Mubarak (who, according to the news, aided America in several cases) goes away.

Don't think that's what's going to happen though.

Last edited by Arkanay on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Arkanay
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male
Spore Name : Arkanay

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:46 pm

Arkanay wrote:Hm... So he's not coming down from power?
Still curious to see how this is going to end up.

I was listening to the news some days ago and some concern was expressed regarding the Muslim Brotherhood. Apparently, they have some anti-USA aspects in their philosophy (or so I've heard) and could be a potential danger if they somehow rose to power after Mubarak (who, according to the news, aided America in several cases) goes away.

Don't think that's what's going to happen though.

I doubt it as well. The whole reason the Egyptian people are doing this is because they are sick of the dictatorship, so the Muslim Brotherhood would find it extremely difficult to secure power.

But Mubarak as sort of discretely cut his ties with America. In his speech he said he wouldn't be dictated to by other countries, which seemed like a direct quote at America as Barack Obama said earlier, we could expect to see history happen in Egypt (pretty much by that he meant Mubarak standing down). I guess its a sign of the US's weakening power and influence.
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:10 pm

The only thing the Muslim Brotherhood can do after (or during) these events is forming a political party of their own and become a part of the reformed Egyptian regime. If they were to take over after a coup of their own, the demonstators just may go berserk.

As for the United States' friendly demand, they should stop even hinting at doing so. The only reason they are doing it is to secure any business regarding oil - you may correct me on this - and putting pressure will not help the curent regime from stepping down any sooner.
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 am

Mubarak just announced he steps down after all. Cheers
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bmpalmann Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:11 am

1607: State TV says Mr Mubarak has handed over responsibility for running the nation's affairs to the higher military council.
1606: Tahrir Square has erupted - pictures show cheering crowds waving flags in the dark.
1604: The vice-president made a very brief televised statement. He said Mr Mubarak was stepping down for the benefit of the republic.

At last! Although i'm sure higher military council is going to do something dodgy.
Lets hope the transition to true democracy will be swift and uneventful Smile
bmpalmann
bmpalmann
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : bmpalmann/ Remyxomatosis

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:14 am

Seems like this is heading towards a "happy" ending. Not bad.
Arkanay
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male
Spore Name : Arkanay

Back to top Go down

Post by bmpalmann Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:18 am

Arkanay wrote:Seems like this is heading towards a "happy" ending. Not bad.
Viva la Révolution!
The military rule is the one thing i'm apprehensive about

1614: Arabzy tweets: "I cannot believe this. Someone pinch me. #Jan25 #Egypt"
1613: One of the protesters in Tahrir Square, Gigi Ibrahim, tells the BBC: "We did it. I cannot believe it. Mubarak the dictator has gone. And the Egyptian people will forever be free. We are so proud. Everyone is so happy. We've suffered for years and finally the dictator is gone. We will remember this day forever."
1612: Full statement from Vice-President Suleiman: "In the name of God the merciful, the compassionate, citizens, during these very difficult circumstances Egypt is going through, President Hosni Mubarak has decided to step down from the office of president of the republic and has charged the high council of the armed forces to administer the affairs of the country. May God help everybody."
1611: It's taken 18 days of mass demonstrations. Mr Mubarak gave three televised statements in which he offered some concessions, but the protesters refused to be appeased.

The BBC is covering it in a lot of detail Smile
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698
bmpalmann
bmpalmann
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:33 am

I honestly believe the military won't screw this up. They may enforce some order during the festivities following this momentous event but I'm sure they are the first to open dialog with the leaders and representatives of the larger groups present in the country.
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bmpalmann Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:43 am

Each time the BBC's live reporters phone someone in the crowd the sounds is incredible, it must be almost deafening Very Happy
bmpalmann
bmpalmann
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:45 am

Watch the live coverage of AlJazeera (link posted above). Between interviewing their Egyptian reporters and spokespeople they take breaks showing the cheering crowds.

It's quite overwhelming. Smile
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bmpalmann Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:48 am

1644: Another leading opposition figure, Mohamed ElBaradei, tells the Associated Press: "This is the greatest day of my life." The Nobel laureate says Egypt has been "liberated after decades of repression" and that he expects a "beautiful" transition of power.
1643: Egyptian protest figurehead Wael Ghonim tweets: "The real hero is the young Egyptians in Tahrir square and the rest of Egypt"
1642: Former Egyptian army General Samah Seif El Yazal tells the BBC: "There are two directions the Higher Military Council can go. The first is to ask the existing government to run the country for a transitional period of perhaps a year. The other option is for the military to run the country by committee. We are very anxious to hear from them about what they intend to do."
1641: More from EU foreign affairs chief Baroness Ashton: "It is important now that the dialogue is accelerated leading to a broad-based government which will respect the aspirations of, and deliver stability for, the Egyptian people. The future of Egypt rightly remains in the hands of the Egyptian people."
1640: Another key catalyst for events in Egypt was the ouster of Tunisian President Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali on 14 January in the "Jasmine Revolution".
1638: Khaled Said is the young man who was dragged out of an internet café and beaten to death by the police last year. Many say that Egypt's protest movement began to build significantly from that moment.
1636: 6 Habib Haddad tweets: "Khaled Saeed, you sir are our hero, you are Egypt's youth! #Egypt
bmpalmann
bmpalmann
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Damnagoras Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:40 am

1825: President of the Islamic Republic of Iran Mahmoud Ahmadinejad tweets: "Youth of Iran! Anybody who promises not to protest will receive 1900 Microsoft Points."

Lol...?
Damnagoras
Damnagoras
EuroSpore 1948
EuroSpore 1948

Male
Spore Name : Damnagoras

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:44 am

Wait, is that serious or just for the lulz? Hunf
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by War Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:12 am

Andeavor wrote:The only thing the Muslim Brotherhood can do after (or during) these events is forming a political party of their own and become a part of the reformed Egyptian regime. If they were to take over after a coup of their own, the demonstators just may go berserk.

Remember how Iran went down? They thought they were getting a democracy too.
War
War
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male

http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/Warboss92

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:12 am

Huzzah, Mubarak has stepped down. Good thing he did. You right, could have tried to assassinate him before Andy, but it hasn't been until now, that Egypt has collectively said they've had enough. Had he stayed in power, the protests were sure to become violent.

Apparently the military told Mubarak that they wouldn't help him anymore. So really, it was only him vs millions of SPORE off Egyptian citizens. Even someone as stubborn as him had to see the game was up.
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Damnagoras Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:55 am

Andeavor wrote:Wait, is that serious or just for the lulz? Hunf

I don't know... I saw it on the BBC site while watching the live commentary, and I was all like "Lolwut??" I have no idea whether it's some sort of joke or if it's true. If it's serious, I'm feeling hesitant as to whether I should lol or feel simply... I wouldn't know how to feel actually. Unsure
Damnagoras
Damnagoras
EuroSpore 1948
EuroSpore 1948

Male
Spore Name : Damnagoras

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:44 am

This whole ruckus in Libya is mind-boggling. I feel like I'm in a movie that just won't end.

The UN is "concerned" but I'm sure they know Gaddafi has to go. Ball
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:26 pm

I've been watching the hole situation on the news. Gaddafi is off his rocker. He is not leaving without a fight. Gaddafi made it clear that the only way he'd leave office is if he was dead and I'm pretty certain thats how its going to end up.
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:56 pm

Gaddafi is completely delusional. He keeps referring to an enemy his people are facing, yet there is none, and the UN is no help so far. They're planning on getting a solution together today but the Libyan people rather want them to act now rather than "discussing" the matter any further.

After this crisis, the UN really has to change their approach on a situation like this. They need a task force they can deploy without having to go through every member country to agree to act.
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by War Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:05 am

That will never happen; the UN is largely a useless, hypocritical bureaucracy.
War
War
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male

http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/Warboss92

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next