EuroSpore
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEWS: Utah designates Browning M1911 official state firearm

5 posters

Go down

NEWS: Utah designates Browning M1911 official state firearm Empty NEWS: Utah designates Browning M1911 official state firearm

Post by Vektrix Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:12 am

NEWS: Utah designates Browning M1911 official state firearm _51746073_colt_1911_l1-304x171

Utah has become the first US state to designate an official state firearm.

The Browning M1911 joins the state fossil (allosaurus), fruit (cherry), gem (topaz), bird (sea gull) and other symbols with official designation.

The gun was designed by Utah native John Browning. The law's sponsor said it symbolised freedom and empowerment.

Opponents said it was inappropriate to glorify a firearm, citing the January mass shooting at a congresswoman's constituent event in nearby Arizona.

The .45-calibre semi-automatic pistol was designed by Browning, who was born in Utah in 1855, to fill the US military's need for a pistol with stopping power - the ability to fell an enemy with a single shot.

It was adopted by the US Army in 1911, and first saw action in combat with Mexican rebel leader Pancho Villa in 1916, according to the Browning Arms Company. It was later used in World War I and beyond.

Democratic Utah State Representative Brian King opposed the bill.

"When we are talking about a state symbol we would do well to come up with one that is more unifying than divisive and this is a very divisive symbol for obvious reasons," he told Reuters. "This is just a poor choice for a state symbol."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12792633
----------

I for one am extremely disappointed in this move.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male
Spore Name : Vektrix / SporeMasterVek

http://www.eurospore.eu

Back to top Go down

NEWS: Utah designates Browning M1911 official state firearm Empty Re: NEWS: Utah designates Browning M1911 official state firearm

Post by ArticShock Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:24 am

I can see why they did it, because it played a role in history and the designer was born in Utah.
I agree though, they should not have designated a weapon as a state symbol.
ArticShock
ArticShock
EuroSpore 1948
EuroSpore 1948

Male
Spore Name : ArticShock

Back to top Go down

NEWS: Utah designates Browning M1911 official state firearm Empty Re: NEWS: Utah designates Browning M1911 official state firearm

Post by Aletrius Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:18 am

I can see why they did it, but they are, in effect, glorifying violence. But it is their choice, and any consequences shall be theirs to shoulder.
Aletrius
Aletrius
EuroSpore 1992
EuroSpore 1992

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by OneDeadSlime Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:31 am

Thomas1134 wrote:I can see why they did it, but they are, in effect, glorifying violence. But it is their choice, and any consequences shall be theirs to shoulder.

Agreed/
OneDeadSlime
OneDeadSlime
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : warmslime / SporeMasterSlime

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:44 am

This reminds me of a joke by Wanda Sykes when she suggested Florida's state sign to be a stripper pole.
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down