EuroSpore
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEWS: Superman Renounces U.S. Citizenship

4 posters

Go down

NEWS: Superman Renounces U.S. Citizenship Empty NEWS: Superman Renounces U.S. Citizenship

Post by Andeavor Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:14 pm

He’s just so sick of being pigeon-holed as an instrument of U.S. policy. And “truth, justice, and the American way“ are ”not enough anymore.” That’s why Superman, in the latest Action Comic, has announced he is “renouncing” his U.S. citizenship.

Although he’s traditionally seen as an American hero (remember, though, he is an alien), Superman is fed up with being connected to the USA. According to the Comics Alliance blog (and reported by BoingBoing), in Action Comics #900 Superman tells the president‘s national security adviser that he’s had enough of the Red, White, and Blue.

Comics Alliance explains the context:

The key scene takes place in “The Incident,” a short story in Action Comics #900 written by David S. Goyer with art by Miguel Sepulveda. In it, Superman consults with the President’s national security advisor, who is incensed that Superman appeared in Tehran to non-violently support the protesters demonstrating against the Iranian regime, no doubt an analogue for the recent real-life protests in the Middle East. However, since Superman is viewed as an American icon in the DC Universe as well as our own, the Iranian government has construed his actions as the will of the American President, and indeed, an act of war.

Wired.com offers some more startling details about the non-violent protest that got Superman in trouble:

Goyer’s installment, with tense art from Miguel Sepulveda, steals the spotlight in Action Comics No. 900. When Superman drops in on an Iranian protest to stand with demonstrators in an act of nonviolent civil disobedience, the U.S. government takes him to task for acting as an instrument of national policy. Superman responds by renouncing his American citizenship and proclaiming himself a citizen of the universe.

Comics Alliance author Laura Hudson goes on to explain that the man of steel is increasingly seeing the world from a different perspective (sound like any unions?) and he’s ready to go global:

While this wouldn’t be this first time a profoundly American comic book icon disassociated himself from his national identity — remember when Captain America became Nomad? — this could be a very significant turning point for Superman if its implications carry over into other story lines. Indeed, simply saying that “truth, justice and the American way [is] not enough anymore” is a pretty startling statement from the one man who has always represented those values the most.

It doesn't seem that he’s abandoning those values, however, only trying to implement them on a larger scale and divorce himself from the political complexities of nationalism. Superman also says that he believes he has been thinking “too small,“ that the world is ”too connected” for him to limit himself with a purely national identity. As an alien born on another planet, after all, he “can’t help but see the bigger picture.”

As NPR puts it, he “proclaims himself a citizen of the universe.”
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/superman-renounces-u-s-citizenship-in-latest-action-comic/
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

Back to top Go down

NEWS: Superman Renounces U.S. Citizenship Empty Re: NEWS: Superman Renounces U.S. Citizenship

Post by LordRemington Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:47 am

Then how cna he still work at his job at the paper if he isn't a citizen? :0

Just saying, they must really be grasping for comic ideas if "superman renouncing his citizenship" is the kind of topic they come up with in a comic now Razz
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : Reyes1

https://www.youtube.com/user/L0rdRemington?feature=mhw5

Back to top Go down

NEWS: Superman Renounces U.S. Citizenship Empty Re: NEWS: Superman Renounces U.S. Citizenship

Post by Arkanay Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:47 am

Maybe he's an illegal gardener these days.

El SuperHombre.
Arkanay
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male
Spore Name : Arkanay

Back to top Go down

Post by Red-Indigo Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:32 pm

Its a pretty big thing for fans of the comic I should imagine. Wierd that they've picked up on this theme, I guess they are just trying to expand their audience maybe?

People will still see him as american though, to be honest I always forget he's an 'alien.'
Red-Indigo
Red-Indigo
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Female
Spore Name : Orbixitron

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:43 pm

I actually always found him being a U.S. citizen only to be an insult to the rest of the world. Technically, only his alias is a citizen for the disguise's sake but as the super hero he shouldn't have a specific citizenship in the first place.
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

Back to top Go down

Post by Red-Indigo Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:07 pm

Yeah, I see where you are coming from. Just the way he was protrayed never really followed the classic theme of 'alien' so I always saw him as an american person firstly.

Probably because I never read the comics, just saw the TV shows as a kid.

I guess thats what the move toward him renouncing it is about.
Red-Indigo
Red-Indigo
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Female
Spore Name : Orbixitron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down