EuroSpore
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEWS: 3D video causes eye strain and fatigue

+2
Arkanay
Andeavor
6 posters

Go down

NEWS: 3D video causes eye strain and fatigue Empty NEWS: 3D video causes eye strain and fatigue

Post by Andeavor Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:00 am

NEWS: 3D video causes eye strain and fatigue 2187_main_3D_Mask
3D displays cause extra eye fatigue, according to a study published by the Journal of Vision today that was funded in part by Samsung's R&D arm.

A group of researchers from the University of Califonia-Berkeley found that when test subjects watched 3D displays, they reported more eye strain and fatigue and less vision clarity afterward than when they watched 2D video.

The disparity between the depth of the screen and the depth of the 3D image caused the most problems, though researchers also found the relationship between image depth and nearness of the screen also played a role in eye strain.

Twenty-four participants in the study were shown 3D and 2D video at various viewing distances, and then responded to questionnaires on their eye fatigue, neck and back pain, and vision clarity.

In the video clips, the authors were varying the focal point, which is the surface of the screen, and the vergence distance, which is where in the image the eyes are trying to focus on.

For 2D video, these points are always one and the same, but in 3D video the vergence distance varies, and can be either deeper than the surface of the screen or in front of it.

The participants responded that they experienced more eye strain and fatigue from the video with different vergence and focal distances, a feature of 3D that has long been supposed to cause eye strain. The self-reported differences between 3D and 2D were not drastic, but they were significant.

A second part of the study found that though 3D was fatiguing in general, the participants had more problems with distant displays showing an image with a vergence distance deeper than the screen and with near displays showing images popping out of the screen.

This research is highly relevant to 3D content designers, who could determine what to recess or pop out of the screen based on the expected viewer distance.

However, the study also means that 3D video that is more comfortably viewed in a movie theater is necessarily much more uncomfortable to look at when viewed in a living room.

Unfortunately for Samsung, financial supporters of the study and manufacturers of 3D TVs, the research appears to indicate that they're hurting the eyes of their customers.
http://edition.cnn.com/2011/TECH/innovation/07/25/3d.video.eye.strain.ars/

-------------------------

I didn't need a study to reveal that. I recently tried out the Nintendo 3DS and I literally cried after two minutes, and not because of the game. none

I also refuse to watch 3D films because my eyes are already strained enough when wearing regular glasses.
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

Back to top Go down

NEWS: 3D video causes eye strain and fatigue Empty Re: NEWS: 3D video causes eye strain and fatigue

Post by Arkanay Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:09 am

While some movies have a good 3D setting, I prefer to watch them old school style. To me, using 3D glasses makes the pictures darker and the effects aren't that outstanding. I also think it's getting slightly over-used.

I also know someone who gets a headache when watching this technology. Not my case, though.
Arkanay
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male
Spore Name : Arkanay

Back to top Go down

NEWS: 3D video causes eye strain and fatigue Empty Re: NEWS: 3D video causes eye strain and fatigue

Post by OneDeadSlime Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:27 am

Who's surprised?

3D in movies isn't good enough yet. Too dark.
OneDeadSlime
OneDeadSlime
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : warmslime / SporeMasterSlime

Back to top Go down

Post by Red-Indigo Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:44 pm

Hm, well that was an obvious piece of study, but it's good they've actually considered it rather than brushing over it. I hope this is looked at more and maybe even halts some companies in persuing 3D things so much.

I like 3D once in a while, but if given the choice Id always say 2D because I've always found it more comfortable. I really don't like that everything is going toward 3D or so it seems.

Like you've already said, the quality of 3D isnt great either. I'd much rather have flat, good quality shows than eye straining 3D ones.
Red-Indigo
Red-Indigo
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Female
Spore Name : Orbixitron

Back to top Go down

Post by Mysteryem Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:59 am

Honestly, I have no problem with 3D and the virtual depth, infact, I welcome it, especially 3D gaming, where you can actually see depth instead of having a million wonky camera angles.

From people I know, most either seem to have big problems with it, or none at all.

Without access to a 3D computer and monitor I sometimes have a look at some stereoscopic 3D, which youtube 3D happens to support. While it is rather eye straining to go cross eyed and focus on a large image, anything not too big is great.
Mysteryem
Mysteryem
Regular
Regular

Male
Spore Name : Mysteryem

http://www.mysterymayhem.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:09 pm

Did they really need to do a study on this. I thought it was pretty well known that 3-D causes eye strain for some people.

Personally I'm indifferent to 3-D. I don't feel it adds that much to movies or shows. And I find it rather annoying that since Avatar came out, it seems like every movie, regardless of how well it would work in it, has 3-D. And now they are rolling out 3-D TVs.

I like to watch something in 3-D that was meant to be in 3-D but I don't like the fact they are now throwing the 3-D sticker onto just about anything that comes out.
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : Reyes1

https://www.youtube.com/user/L0rdRemington?feature=mhw5

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down