EuroSpore
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEWS: BBC accused of being 'cheerleader for assisted suicide' after filming man killing himself in Terry Pratchett documentary

5 posters

Go down

NEWS: BBC accused of being 'cheerleader for assisted suicide' after filming man killing himself in Terry Pratchett documentary Empty NEWS: BBC accused of being 'cheerleader for assisted suicide' after filming man killing himself in Terry Pratchett documentary

Post by Vektrix Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:50 pm

NEWS: BBC accused of being 'cheerleader for assisted suicide' after filming man killing himself in Terry Pratchett documentary Article-1377062-0B76D2B900000578-710_468x305

The BBC stands accused of being ‘a cheerleader for assisted suicide’ after filming a man killing himself at the notorious Dignitas clinic for a controversial documentary.

Sir Terry Pratchett, a prominent supporter of euthanasia, presents the programme which follows a man in the late stages of motor neurone disease as he travels from Britain to the Swiss clinic.

The popular fantasy novelist – who himself has Alzheimer’s – remains at the 71-year-old’s bedside until he succumbs to the cocktail of drugs he has taken to end his life.

Screening the moment of a suicide victim’s death is a first for terrestrial television. The programme is due to be broadcast on BBC2 this summer, a move condemned by campaigners, politicians, medical professionals and religious leaders.

They accused the corporation of being unethical, promoting assisted death and euthanasia, and disregarding the sanctity of life.

Dr Peter Saunders, director of charity Care Not Killing, said: ‘The BBC is acting like a cheerleader for legalising assisted suicide.

‘It is regrettable that a man’s death will be shown on screen but we are also concerned that this documentary will not be balanced.

‘Given Sir Terry Pratchett’s position, the fear is that it will show all the supposed benefits of assisted death with very little redress.’

The documentary, entitled Terry Pratchett: Choosing To Die, has already been filmed. Viewers will see the man, named only as Peter, struggle to cope with his illness, which leads to loss of mobility and difficulties with speech, swallowing and breathing. They will then see his final days and hours in Switzerland.

Sir Terry said: ‘I am a firm believer in assisted death. I believe everybody possessed of a debilitating and incurable disease should be allowed to pick the hour of their death. And I wanted to know more about Dignitas in case I ever wanted to go there myself.’

In the film the 62-year-old best-selling novelist, who was diagnosed with a rare form of early onset Alzheimer’s in 2008, compares the legal position on assisted suicide in other countries and talks to those opposed to the practice, which is currently illegal in the UK.

In theory he could face prosecution – and a prison sentence of as much as 14 years – for simply being present at Peter’s suicide and failing to stop it.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1377062/Outcry-BBC2-euthanasia-documentary-presented-Terry-Pratchett.html#ixzz1Ja09uPZP

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13088111

---------

Can I just say, I disagree fervently with everything the Daily Mail says, and always have. But on this I think they are sensationalising the issue by pointing out the programme will be on, the BBC are not doing the sensationalising, the Daily mail are.

My argument is that if you disagree with it being shown, then don't watch it. You have a lot of channels to choose from, go out for a walk, read a book, you are not being forced to watch the thing. The BBC is doing right to broadcast the programme, and I have no problem with showing the moment of death. I am for making Euthanasia a viable option for prescribed conditions, the law-makers can had a lot of caveats to the bill, so that several doctors need to declare the patient has appropriate and legal grounds, medically, to make the decision.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male
Spore Name : Vektrix / SporeMasterVek

http://www.eurospore.eu

Back to top Go down

NEWS: BBC accused of being 'cheerleader for assisted suicide' after filming man killing himself in Terry Pratchett documentary Empty Re: NEWS: BBC accused of being 'cheerleader for assisted suicide' after filming man killing himself in Terry Pratchett documentary

Post by Andeavor Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:19 pm

If I had any say in what television networks were allowed to air, then there would be very little to watch (as most is crap anyway). However, when it comes to euthanasia, the BBC is crossing the lines of legality. It's like documenting the breaking and entering of a person's house and then saying "oh, this woman was just trying to get something out of her ex-boyfriend's house no matter what".

Personally, I am for assisted suicide but until we can document it step by step, we first have to agre whether it's really legal to do so.
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

Back to top Go down

NEWS: BBC accused of being 'cheerleader for assisted suicide' after filming man killing himself in Terry Pratchett documentary Empty Re: NEWS: BBC accused of being 'cheerleader for assisted suicide' after filming man killing himself in Terry Pratchett documentary

Post by Vektrix Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:46 pm

The BBC is not the first in the country to broadcast such a thing. Sky Arts and ITV have already broadcast someone ending their own life. I think it is right they broadcast it, because the debate needs to be had.

The BBC is publicly funded, so everyone in the UK who pays their licence fee technically has a say in what it broadcasts.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male
Spore Name : Vektrix / SporeMasterVek

http://www.eurospore.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:30 pm

This is a delicate matter. While I think people in terminal conditions should have a say and decide whether to pass away or not, I also believe they should be assisted in enjoying the rest of their lives as they can. I'm torn for both sides of the question.

Still, I'm not a fan of the fact that they decided to go with it and film it as if it was happening, instead of alerting someone, health-agents or the like, to do something about it. That's how I feel.

This reminds me of some movie that was made in America, filming people that were jumping off of a bridge. They kept rolling the cameras (in a concealed area) when someone was about to jump, but, according to the director, they quickly alerted the bridge authorities once they detected something like that was about to happen.

It's a little disturbing following someone's death on camera and I don't think society is ready for something like that yet. Like Vektrix said, you can always not watch it - but it's still there, being aired to the entire world.

I really don't know whether to "accept" this or not. As I mentioned before, while I believe people, with help or not, should be alive as long as possible, as long as they are content with what they have or working to make it better - there's also the aspect that people in terminal health cases, the situation is quite different. That's only my view, though.

Euthanasia for people who are in a terminal state is one thing, while committing suicide for other reasons often reveals that that person needed help and could have been happier.
Arkanay
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male
Spore Name : Arkanay

Back to top Go down

Post by Red-Indigo Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:51 am

I feel torn on the subject matter. I feel it is right to allow people the decision to end their lives, based on having terminal or degenerative conditions, although there are a great number of complications surrounding it. For example, mental state of the person and external influences.

I think what the BBC have done is risque. I remember watching the debate that Terry Pratchett hosted about a year ago and that was quite sensitive. Its fair to show both sides, but I don't know if the actual process needed to be shown as its obvious what happens. Media coverage in general muddies the reasons for and against, so I think the BBC saying it would show the arguments for and against in an unbiased way isnt really a valid point.

In general I find it a little sad that they are latching onto such an event to make higher views/ratings, but I respect what was trying to be shown.
Red-Indigo
Red-Indigo
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Female
Spore Name : Orbixitron

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:29 pm

I agree with with you Pat. Yes it is quite disturbing to see someone commiting suicide on camera, but its the person watching the show's choice as to whether he or she watches it.

Also I am a supporter of Euthanasia. Life is precious, but when someone has little to zero quality of life and there is little that can be done to improve it, I think it should be their right to chose if they want to continue living or not. Of course if they were to bring in Euthanasia laws, they would need to have extremely well thought out guidelines and rules as to whether a person can be Euthanized or not. If someone is just depressed, the obviously they would not be allowed to take the Euthanasia route. Euthanasia should only be available as a final resort to those with debilitating physical or psychological disorders.
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : Reyes1

https://www.youtube.com/user/L0rdRemington?feature=mhw5

Back to top Go down

Post by Red-Indigo Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:56 am

I think that is the issue with the Euthanasia debate. Most people in these situations are going to be depressed, some days they will feel like they need to end it and some days they will feel better. I do support the right to it, but its such a hugely difficult thing to handle, with all the other angles people take too, such as religious and so on. You still have to take it into account, even if you feel it has no place in the 'debate'.

I really admire Terry Pratchett, for what he said in his debate and for being so open about his views. I am a little upset at the BBC though, because I think this could actually be more damaging to the points they are putting together.
Red-Indigo
Red-Indigo
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Female
Spore Name : Orbixitron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down