EuroSpore
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEWS: Swedish man tries to split atom in his kitchen

+3
Andeavor
Vektrix
LordRemington
7 posters

Go down

NEWS: Swedish man tries to split atom in his kitchen Empty NEWS: Swedish man tries to split atom in his kitchen

Post by LordRemington Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:08 am

STOCKHOLM — A Swedish man who was arrested after trying to split atoms in his kitchen said Wednesday he was only doing it as a hobby.

Richard Handl told The Associated Press that he had the radioactive elements radium, americium and uranium in his apartment in southern Sweden when police showed up and arrested him on charges of unauthorized possession of nuclear material.

The 31-year-old Handl said he had tried for months to set up a nuclear reactor at home and kept a blog about his experiments, describing how he created a small meltdown on his stove.

Only later did he realize it might not be legal and sent a question to Sweden's Radiation Authority, which answered by sending the police.

"I have always been interested in physics and chemistry," Handl said, adding he just wanted to "see if it's possible to split atoms at home."

The police raid took place in late July, but police have refused to comment. If convicted, Handl could face fines or up to two years in prison.

Although he says police didn't detect dangerous levels of radiation in his apartment, he now acknowledges the project wasn't such a good idea.

"From now on, I will stick to the theory," he said.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44003250/ns/world_news-weird_news/

Now. The question I'd have to ask this guy is...... What does he think would have happened if he successfully split an atom in his kitchen? Plus side, it might be an effective way of cooking his food. Minus side, he would have almost certainly been obliterated had he been successful.
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : Reyes1

https://www.youtube.com/user/L0rdRemington?feature=mhw5

Back to top Go down

NEWS: Swedish man tries to split atom in his kitchen Empty Re: NEWS: Swedish man tries to split atom in his kitchen

Post by Vektrix Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:45 am

Intelligence: 10
Common Sense: -10

Evens itself out in the end.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male
Spore Name : Vektrix / SporeMasterVek

http://www.eurospore.eu

Back to top Go down

NEWS: Swedish man tries to split atom in his kitchen Empty Re: NEWS: Swedish man tries to split atom in his kitchen

Post by Andeavor Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:07 am

Why does this remind me of Young Eindstein where he splits the beer atom in his parent's shack on the farm?

Some people you just can't classify as stupid anymore. They do things like this and then wonder why their house burnt down.
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

Back to top Go down

Post by Red-Indigo Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:47 am

I was all ready to come in here with fire and fury because I read the title as 'Man tries to split atom in his kitten" I need more sleep...

But anyway, that's pretty funny and also horrific that someone with that amount of intellegence could be so dumb. He obviously was purely interested and not doing naughties with it, otherwise he wouldn't have asked about it. I'm just suprised it took him that long to think of the legal implications.
Red-Indigo
Red-Indigo
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Female
Spore Name : Orbixitron

Back to top Go down

Post by Damnagoras Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:18 am

I doubt any experiments a guy can conduct in his kitchen could lead to a nuclear explosion of any sort. It's advanced stuff. It still sounds careless to think of doing that kind of thing at home though.
Damnagoras
Damnagoras
EuroSpore 1948
EuroSpore 1948

Male
Spore Name : Damnagoras

Back to top Go down

Post by bmpalmann Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:02 am

I want to know more, did he have a radiation suit? What equipment did he have? And is he the sort of man who has a shed? Razz
He's obviously an absent minded genius, I mean he didn't think it was illegal to have that sort of stuff without some sort of certification? Razz
bmpalmann
bmpalmann
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : bmpalmann/ Remyxomatosis

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:22 am

bmpalmann wrote:I want to know more, did he have a radiation suit? What equipment did he have? And is he the sort of man who has a shed? Razz
He's obviously an absent minded genius, I mean he didn't think it was illegal to have that sort of stuff without some sort of certification? Razz

I hope you're not thinking of replicating this are you? Razz

Last edited by Vektrix on Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bmpalmann Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:28 am

Garden shed isn't big enough, so no not yet Razz
bmpalmann
bmpalmann
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:31 am

bmpalmann wrote:Garden shed isn't big enough, so no not yet Razz

Ah, perhaps I can help, I have the blueprints for an underground bunker in my possession - somewhere. Intriguingly, the entrance is in a shed Smile

Just wonder how Ernest Rutherford managed it - part of me thinks that modern kitchen equipment may be equivalent to 1920's atom splitting tools.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:36 am

Vektrix wrote:I hope your not thinking of replicating this are you? Razz
Your spelling is not wright their, Vek. Razz
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:39 am

Andeavor wrote:
Vektrix wrote:I hope your not thinking of replicating this are you? Razz
Your spelling is not wright their, Vek. Razz

Urgl, You're right! Surprised
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bmpalmann Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:03 am

Vektrix wrote:
bmpalmann wrote:Garden shed isn't big enough, so no not yet Razz

Ah, perhaps I can help, I have the blueprints for an underground bunker in my possession - somewhere. Intriguingly, the entrance is in a shed Smile

Just wonder how Ernest Rutherford managed it - part of me thinks that modern kitchen equipment may be equivalent to 1920's atom splitting tools.

Ah good, want to meet up and exchange the blueprints for some very nice jelly babies? Wink
bmpalmann
bmpalmann
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:59 pm

'Nuff sed. Razz
Jeff
Jeff
Regular
Regular

Male
Spore Name : Jeffrey94

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down