EuroSpore
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEWS: OMG, LOL and ♥ added to dictionary.

+12
world_piece
Red-Indigo
UltimateZob
Aletrius
Trick
SuperLoki
sjhorm
TyrannoFan
OneDeadSlime
Vektrix
Arkanay
LordRemington
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

NEWS: OMG, LOL and ♥ added to dictionary. Empty NEWS: OMG, LOL and ♥ added to dictionary.

Post by LordRemington Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:41 pm

It's difficult to avoid letting things such as ♥, OMG, and LOL slip into our text messages and emails, but at least we can now excuse that by pointing out that those are in fact terms acknowledged by the authorities of the English language.

In the latest update of the Oxford English Dictionary, there are a whole new batch of silly words and definitions including several initialisms — abbreviations consisting of the initial letters of expressions — made popular through their frequent use in text messages, tweets, or emails.

The experts at Oxford Dictionaries Online explain that the initialisms added to the dictionary are "noteworthy" and even happen to be "found outside of electronic contexts" at times, and we believe them. After all, how could these language authorities not add initialisms and words like this to the dictionary without a good reason:

* couch surfing
* ego-surfing
* la-la land
* LOL
* meep
* muffin top
* OMG
* party-crashing
* wassup

Our favorite thing in this entire update though? A tweak to the definition of 'heart':

♥ to heart

The new sense added to heart v. in this update may be the first English usage to develop via the medium of T-shirts and bumper-stickers. It originated as a humorous reference to logos featuring a picture of a heart as a symbol for the verb love, like that of the famous ‘I ♥ NY’ tourism campaign. Our earliest quote for this use, from 1984, uses the verb in ‘I heart my dog’s head’, a jokey play on bumper stickers featuring a heart and a picture of the face of a particular breed of dog (expressing a person’s enthusiasm for, say, shih-tzus) which itself became a popular bumper sticker. From these beginnings, heart v. has gone on to live an existence in more traditional genres of literature as a colloquial synonym for ‘to love’.

Yes, that's 'wassup' with this month's modifications of the Oxford English Dictionary. Let's hope that next month brings us definitions for more initialisms such as OMGWTF, ROFL, LMAO, and KIT.
http://digitallife.today.com/_news/2011/03/24/6335138-omg-and-lol-added-to-the-dictionary

I don't know how I feel about it. While sure cool use lol and omg in texts and what not, but actually adding it to the dictionary......

Apparently other words that have been added to the Oxford dictionary include:
* bloggable
* clickjacking
* woot
* tbh (short for 'to be honest')
* fnarr fnarr (described as "textspeak for sniggering")
* trolleyed
* nom nom
* bromance
* sammich
* prolly
* tmi (short for 'too much information')
* light-bulb moment

Do you think these words should have been added to the official dictionary of words or should they have been left as internet and colloquial speak.

At least now when you say "I want a sammich" no one can accuse you of using improper language.

one question I have...since when did they start adding symbols to the dictionary? ♥ isn't a word. Next they'll add the batman symbol.
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : Reyes1

https://www.youtube.com/user/L0rdRemington?feature=mhw5

Back to top Go down

NEWS: OMG, LOL and ♥ added to dictionary. Empty Re: NEWS: OMG, LOL and ♥ added to dictionary.

Post by Arkanay Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Hmm... I don't think having them in the dictionary gives you a free ticket to use them. Words such as F***, C***, etc. can also be found in a proper dictionary, with the mere purpose to explain the reader what it stands for. It also has a little sidenote, informing that those words are rude and should not be used.
I think it's fine to add such terms, since many people very likely would like to know what they mean.

One cannot deny, though, that there is a risk that some words can actually be absorbed into regular speaking and such, as language has a tendency to evolve. Nevertheless, I believe, besides explaining what it is, information in the dictionary should be provided that some of those terms came from the online world and should be only used there for the time being. Wink

Last edited by Arkanay on Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Arkanay
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male
Spore Name : Arkanay

Back to top Go down

NEWS: OMG, LOL and ♥ added to dictionary. Empty Re: NEWS: OMG, LOL and ♥ added to dictionary.

Post by LordRemington Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:15 pm

Arkanay wrote:Hmm... I don't think having them in the dictionary gives you a free ticket to use them. Words such as F***, C***, etc. can also be found in a proper dictionary, with the mere purpose to explain the reader what it stands for. It also has a little sidenote, informing that those words are rude and should not be used.
I think it's fine to add such terms, since many people very likely would like to know what they mean.

One cannot deny, though, that there is a risk that some words can actually be absorbed into regular speaking and such, as language has a tendency to evolve. Nevertheless, I believe, besides explaining what it is, information in the dictionary should be provided that some of those terms came from the online world and should be only used there for the time being. Wink

Yeah I suppose, I just not sure its right to validate them by putting them in the dictionary, urban dictionary is fine ofcourse, but a real dictionary?...meh guess its fine but so long as they stay as online terms, but again I don't see why they felt the need to add ♥️. Seems fairly self explanatory. Most know what a ♥️ symbol means by the time they are two as basically anything that refers to love had a ♥️ somewhere.
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : Reyes1

https://www.youtube.com/user/L0rdRemington?feature=mhw5

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:26 pm

Abbreviations have been in the dictionary for years, like AA (for Alcoholics Anonymous), though ones like BTW, TBH, IMO, IMHO and the like I do not really like being there, but understand.

My fave one you listed Remi is "Trolleyed" since iot is a word I have been using for at least 14 years,a nd am surprised was not in the dictionary already.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male
Spore Name : Vektrix / SporeMasterVek

http://www.eurospore.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by OneDeadSlime Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:39 pm

I'm fine with the others, but ♥?? It's not even a word.
OneDeadSlime
OneDeadSlime
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : warmslime / SporeMasterSlime

Back to top Go down

Post by TyrannoFan Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:48 pm

OMG, I'm LOLing at how they added ♥.

That's a symbol, not a word! Words go into the dictionary! Symbols don't, or at least shouldn't be there!
TyrannoFan
TyrannoFan
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Male
Spore Name : Creaturepre

Back to top Go down

Post by sjhorm Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:53 pm

It'd be sort of the same as putting @ in the dictionary.
Symbols could go in a special section in the back maybe.
sjhorm
sjhorm
EuroSpore 1975
EuroSpore 1975

Male
Spore Name : sjhorm

Back to top Go down

Post by TyrannoFan Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:55 pm

Wouldn't be surprised if they added ▲.
TyrannoFan
TyrannoFan
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by sjhorm Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:57 pm

TyrannoFan wrote:Wouldn't be surprised if they added ▲.

Or maybe
  ▲
▲ ▲

sjhorm
sjhorm
EuroSpore 1975
EuroSpore 1975

Male
Spore Name : sjhorm

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperLoki Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:52 pm

That is pretty lame. Apparently upper-class/Government has very little humor - Mainly referring to how Slang is considered proper English (how embarrassing for native Englishmen) and for an older example, how Anonymous is considered an actual organized group of people.

The only words from the lists I've actually heard day to day is 'lol', 'omg', 'tbh' and 'wassup'. And 'wassup', I/we only use with humor.

I feel sorry for foreigners, to some extent. When they look at our language and see our abbreviations they may consider them words, and then we'll have a bunch of people saying really strange things.

But oh well. Hooray for butchering the English language, eh?
SuperLoki
SuperLoki
EuroSpore 1997
EuroSpore 1997

Female
Spore Name : Rebecca1208

Back to top Go down

Post by OneDeadSlime Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:16 am

Yeah, I agree that textbooks should be kept as formal as possible.
OneDeadSlime
OneDeadSlime
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : warmslime / SporeMasterSlime

Back to top Go down

Post by Trick Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:26 am

Nom nom in the dictionary? Facepalm
Trick
Trick
EuroSpore 1992
EuroSpore 1992

Male
Spore Name : bobmarleyrulz

Back to top Go down

Post by Aletrius Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:37 am

Humour, Loki. Razz
Aletrius
Aletrius
EuroSpore 1992
EuroSpore 1992

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperLoki Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:38 am

Blame my American spell-checker >___> (thank you)
SuperLoki
SuperLoki
EuroSpore 1997
EuroSpore 1997

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:49 am

You can use the English Language Register you prefer (British English, American English, Indian English, etc.), but the thing is, one has to keep true to it.
A problem that often happens here in Portugal is people speaking a mix of both British English and American English. Razz Doesn't sound totally wrong, but, unfortunately, it is.

I would rather if we learnt Jamaican English in University though. Razz
Arkanay
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male
Spore Name : Arkanay

Back to top Go down

Post by TyrannoFan Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:28 am

sjhorm wrote:
TyrannoFan wrote:Wouldn't be surprised if they added ▲.

Or maybe
  ▲
▲ ▲

Won't be surprised if they added this (the incorrect triforce):

▲ ▲

Bah, they'll probably add all internet memes soon.
TyrannoFan
TyrannoFan
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateZob Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:57 am

In my opinion, adding any of those is pretty ridiculous... but claiming that a symbol is a word... that's just going too far.
UltimateZob
UltimateZob
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : UltimateZob

http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/UltimateZob

Back to top Go down

Post by Red-Indigo Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:16 am

The dictionary is meant to map how language evolves as audible language is one of the main things that sets us apart from other animals. I guess its good to acknowledge that certain sections of our culture have used these but they aren't really words.

I think it would have been better placed into a colloquialism (sp?) section or somthing like a symbols section at the back, not as actual words. Its silly because they are meant to be text words/phrases, next thing will be ROFL and PMSL as words.
Red-Indigo
Red-Indigo
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Female
Spore Name : Orbixitron

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperLoki Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:18 am

The moment 'FML' is added, I will FML.
SuperLoki
SuperLoki
EuroSpore 1997
EuroSpore 1997

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Red-Indigo Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:21 am

ROFL

Wink

Seriously though, it seems our language and standards of language is seriously failing.
Red-Indigo
Red-Indigo
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by world_piece Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:32 am

I don't know where the English language is headed so I'll stick with Latin and Sanskrit...
world_piece
world_piece
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Spore Name : world_piece

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:49 am

- .... .. ... / .. ... / .-. .. -.. .. -.-. ..- .-.. --- ..- ...
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:58 pm

Red-Indigo wrote:ROFL

Wink

Seriously though, it seems our language and standards of language is seriously failing.

Agreed, I am so traditional I struggle to get American English (Petrol is a liquid, so why do they call Petrol, Gas?) I would personally campaign to remove any and all abbreviations from the dictionary.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male
Spore Name : Vektrix / SporeMasterVek

http://www.eurospore.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Red-Indigo Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:30 pm

haha, yeah American English is odd. It reminds me of when my mates little bro was on the xbox and a fight broke out about who spoke 'proper' english with this american kid awesome But I digress.

I dislike that they've taken a step toward including things like this, after all you only really hear 13 year old girls at bus stops actually using it in everyday language. 'Oh-Em-Gee, did you see that, El-Oh-El, I totally heart the way he smiles.'

*loads shotgun*

Red-Indigo
Red-Indigo
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by TyrannoFan Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:01 am

Bah. I hate the girls that talk like that. Makes them sound stupid.
TyrannoFan
TyrannoFan
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next