EuroSpore
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEWS: OMG, LOL and ♥ added to dictionary.

+12
world_piece
Red-Indigo
UltimateZob
Aletrius
Trick
SuperLoki
sjhorm
TyrannoFan
OneDeadSlime
Vektrix
Arkanay
LordRemington
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

NEWS: OMG, LOL and ♥ added to dictionary. - Page 2 Empty Re: NEWS: OMG, LOL and ♥ added to dictionary.

Post by Vektrix Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:11 am

TyrannoFan wrote:Bah. I hate the girls that talk like that. Makes them sound stupid.

It makes all people sound stupid that use most of the above list.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male
Spore Name : Vektrix / SporeMasterVek

http://www.eurospore.eu

Back to top Go down

NEWS: OMG, LOL and ♥ added to dictionary. - Page 2 Empty Re: NEWS: OMG, LOL and ♥ added to dictionary.

Post by LordRemington Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:04 am

Red-Indigo wrote:haha, yeah American English is odd. It reminds me of when my mates little bro was on the xbox and a fight broke out about who spoke 'proper' english with this american kid awesome But I digress.

I dislike that they've taken a step toward including things like this, after all you only really hear 13 year old girls at bus stops actually using it in everyday language. 'Oh-Em-Gee, did you see that, El-Oh-El, I totally heart the way he smiles.'

*loads shotgun*

Indeed but sadly its not only little girls who say LOL and OMG in conversation. I've said it before somewhere, but I've encountered people my age who say LOL, ROFL and OMG in conversation. Saying it in text, fine, saying it in conversation........ Smack
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : Reyes1

https://www.youtube.com/user/L0rdRemington?feature=mhw5

Back to top Go down

Post by sjhorm Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:16 am

I usually use it to mock people.
But I have this person who sits behind me on the bus, and they're loud, and they talk like that all the time. T_______T
sjhorm
sjhorm
EuroSpore 1975
EuroSpore 1975

Male
Spore Name : sjhorm

Back to top Go down

Post by TyrannoFan Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:03 am

sjhorm wrote:I usually use it to mock people.
But I have this person who sits behind me on the bus, and they're loud, and they talk like that all the time. T_______T

Oh god, this person must be a monster! You refer to it as "they"! It must have several heads or something...
TyrannoFan
TyrannoFan
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Male
Spore Name : Creaturepre

Back to top Go down

Post by sjhorm Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:06 am

She sure talks like she does.
Plus, there's multiple people that do it.
sjhorm
sjhorm
EuroSpore 1975
EuroSpore 1975

Male
Spore Name : sjhorm

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord_Lonestar Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:15 pm

I know alot of people who use this 'text speak' in conversations.
They're usually the kind of morons that spend 5 hours a day on Facebook/Myspace (I really don't know what people see in those...)
Aaaaaand, I make fun of these said people all the time
Lord_Lonestar
Lord_Lonestar
Regular
Regular

Male
Spore Name : LoneStar45

Back to top Go down

Post by Illusionary Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:17 pm

People who talk in text speak are pretty awesome. Smile We spend five hours on Facebook every night and tell people they have no life, just to feel cool.
Illusionary
Illusionary
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Male
Spore Name : ghostofillusion

Back to top Go down

Post by Descardion Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:21 pm

Language is evolving all the time.

I'm honestly not surprised by this at all.
Descardion
Descardion
Regular
Regular

Male
Spore Name : Impious_Iron
Location : "'Welcome to my parlor' said the Spider to the Fly..."

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:43 pm

Descardion wrote:Language is evolving all the time.

I'm honestly not surprised by this at all.

I agree Desc.

However, I don't have to like it. The heart is an especially poor choice. But OMG, LOL and the like have I only EVER head used by comedians to make a humourous point or by teenagers who "think" they are being cool. They are written communication, and by adding it to the dictionary you demean the language itself.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male
Spore Name : Vektrix / SporeMasterVek

http://www.eurospore.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:18 pm

Vektrix wrote:

However, I don't have to like it. The heart is an especially poor choice. But OMG, LOL and the like have I only EVER head used by comedians to make a humourous point or by teenagers who "think" they are being cool. They are written communication, and by adding it to the dictionary you demean the language itself.

But if such terms are being used, I believe they're more going with the flow and spreading their meaning, instead of holding it back. Like I said on my first post, putting something in the dictionary doesn't give you the right to use it as you wish. There is, or should be, information explaining the context and when to use such terms. Or in some cases, not to use them at all.
Arkanay
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male
Spore Name : Arkanay

Back to top Go down

Post by Red-Indigo Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:24 am

I use lol when texting, on games or forums but I would never use it in conversation or formal writing. I agree that it is an evolution of our language, it reflects how technology is evolving, but like alot of you have said, using it 'out of context' demeans language as a whole.
Red-Indigo
Red-Indigo
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Female
Spore Name : Orbixitron

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:44 am

Arkanay wrote:
Vektrix wrote:

But if such terms are being used, I believe they're more going with the flow and spreading their meaning, instead of holding it back. Like I said on my first post, putting something in the dictionary doesn't give you the right to use it as you wish. There is, or should be, information explaining the context and when to use such terms. Or in some cases, not to use them at all.

True but there are many swears that they do not put into the dictionary such as the f-word. They are wildly used and have been for much longer than lol or omg, although I suppose the context of a swear word and lol or omg is quite different.

I don't know. I just don't think they are worthy of being put in a dictionary nor do they really need to be explained. OMG Oh My God, LOL Laugh Out Loud (although when I was 12 I thought it meant lots of love).

Very little needs to be described of these acronyms. and a heart... again its a heart, doesn't really warrant a dictionary description. Also the fact its not a word at all. Makes me wonder at what point do the draw the line as to things they won't add to the dictionary.
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:48 am

LordRemington wrote:

True but there are many swears that they do not put into the dictionary such as the f-word.

That depends on the dictionary. The one I have, NEWS: OMG, LOL and ♥ added to dictionary. - Page 2 CollinsCobuild-(En-En), which is one of the best dictionaries one can have, actually has the F-word in it, as well as other words that are not commonly used. A dictionary is a place where you can take a look in order to see what something stands for, how it is pronounced, etc.

I hate such terms being used outside online context, but the truth is they are used in many contexts. Adding them to a dictionary enlightens people in what they stand for, thus increasing the knowledge. Of course there is the risk those terms can be more used that way, that is why there is usually a note, when it is required, explaining how a word should be used, or not used at all.

And according to the dictionary definition, it makes no sense to have the heart symbol in it. I am referring to the acronyms.
Arkanay
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:01 am

Arkanay wrote:
LordRemington wrote:

True but there are many swears that they do not put into the dictionary such as the f-word.

That depends on the dictionary. The one I have, NEWS: OMG, LOL and ♥ added to dictionary. - Page 2 CollinsCobuild-(En-En), which is one of the best dictionaries one can have, actually has the F-word in it, as well as other words that are not commonly used. A dictionary is a place where you can take a look in order to see what something stands for, how it is pronounced, etc.

I hate such terms being used outside online context, but the truth is they are used in many contexts. Adding them to a dictionary enlightens people in what they stand for, thus increasing the knowledge. Of course there is the risk those terms can be more used that way, that is why there is usually a note, when it is required, explaining how a word should be used, or not used at all.

And according to the dictionary definition, it makes no sense to have the heart symbol in it. I am referring to the acronyms.

Hmmm tend to use Maquarie dictionary here. So they have the f-word eh? Do they have all the swear words in it?

And yarp, thats what confuses me about the heart thing. while you can create the heart symbol using keyboard controls, I don't see how they can really justify putting it in the dictionary. Also what section do they put it in. Its not an acronym, not a word, not an abbreviation. Where would they even put it?
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:20 am

I really like this dictionary because it has a lot of good information in it.

Here are some variations of the F-word which one can find in it:

Spoiler:

Each of those terms has a proper definition and right after the first one, there's a rectangle stating: "F**k is a rude and offensive word which you should avoid using"
This then applies to the variants previously mentioned.
Arkanay
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2