EuroSpore
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEWS: Largest galactic water reservoir found

+6
Vektrix
Walker Laocyan
Lord_Lonestar
Arkanay
OneDeadSlime
Andeavor
10 posters

Go down

NEWS: Largest galactic water reservoir found Empty NEWS: Largest galactic water reservoir found

Post by Andeavor Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:16 pm

NEWS: Largest galactic water reservoir found Article-2018585-0D28E31700000578-2_634x475
The largest and farthest reservoir of water ever detected in the universe has been discovered 30billion trillion miles away.

Looking into a quasar - one of the brightest and most violent objects in the cosmos - researchers have found a mass of water vapour that's at least 140trillion times that of all the water in the world's oceans combined, and 100,000 times bigger than the sun.

Because the quasar is so far away, its light has taken 12billion years to reach Earth.
The observations therefore reveal a time when the universe was just 1.6billion years old.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2018585/Moist-black-hole-home-largest-farthest-water-reservoir-detected-universe.html

I was gonna post this earlier but I couldn't find an English article.

Now all we need is FTL travel and a way to harvest the water and our future is secure... sort of.
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

Back to top Go down

NEWS: Largest galactic water reservoir found Empty Re: NEWS: Largest galactic water reservoir found

Post by OneDeadSlime Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:27 pm

The picture appears edited/ random. And earth is hardly sort of water... the problem is there's too much salty.
OneDeadSlime
OneDeadSlime
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : warmslime / SporeMasterSlime

Back to top Go down

NEWS: Largest galactic water reservoir found Empty Re: NEWS: Largest galactic water reservoir found

Post by Arkanay Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:34 pm

Interesting. They do, however, usually enhance space images (for instance: with colour effects - after studying what gases may be present there; etc.) to make them more appealing and able to understand.

Funny how the observations, since they are due to a huge astronomical distance and light takes its time to reach us, actually reveal the past, in an odd way.

I remember when I was young thinking that if humanity somehow manages to travel through space faster than the speed of light to far away places and then from one of those distant locations aims a powerful telescope at Earth, since light takes some time to travel, we would be able to see dinosaurs. Razz
Arkanay
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male
Spore Name : Arkanay

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord_Lonestar Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:32 am

This looks heavily edited to me.
Lord_Lonestar
Lord_Lonestar
Regular
Regular

Male
Spore Name : LoneStar45

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:35 am

The image is an artist's concept.
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

Back to top Go down

Post by Walker Laocyan Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:37 am

Interesting, the universe always fascinates me.
Walker Laocyan
Walker Laocyan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:48 am

Oh well, 12 billion years for it to evaporate then.

I must say, however, such a strange and intriguing discovery.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male
Spore Name : Vektrix / SporeMasterVek

http://www.eurospore.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Red-Indigo Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:40 pm

Wow that's a kinda wierd thought that it was like that, 1.6 billion years ago. It's obvious yes, with the speed of light and so on, but also odd, like looking into the past.

Well if anywhere, there will be aliens there. Even if they are just microbes. I love all the odd stuff that's out in space, it's fascinating.
Red-Indigo
Red-Indigo
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Female
Spore Name : Orbixitron

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:15 am

If it's in a quasar, there's unlikely to be much life there, due to the massive amounts of radiation given off by the bloody thing. Anything that would be there would probably be unrecognisable as "alive."

Besides, there's no way we're ever gonna get there to find out. Makes a lovely conversation piece, though. Razz
Jeff
Jeff
Regular
Regular

Male
Spore Name : Jeffrey94

Back to top Go down

Post by NGin Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:03 pm

Andeavor wrote:Now all we need is FTL travel and a way to harvest the water and our future is secure... sort of.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19117_7-horrible-ways-universe-can-destroy-us-without-warning.html

uh yeah.
NGin
NGin
Regular
Regular

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:38 pm

Hehe, funny link there, NGin. Razz
Arkanay
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male
Spore Name : Arkanay

Back to top Go down

Post by NGin Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:36 am

Quite funny, but still true Smile
NGin
NGin
Regular
Regular

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Illusionary Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:00 am

Nah, the picture is an artist's rendition of a supermassive blackhole. :p

This is an interesting article... would make a really great swimming pool. ^^
Illusionary
Illusionary
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Male
Spore Name : ghostofillusion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down