EuroSpore
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEWS: Lost City of Atlantis...Found?

+5
Vektrix
sjhorm
SuperLoki
Trick
LordRemington
9 posters

Go down

NEWS: Lost City of Atlantis...Found? Empty NEWS: Lost City of Atlantis...Found?

Post by LordRemington Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:26 am

A U.S.-led research team may have finally located the lost city of Atlantis, the legendary metropolis believed swamped by a tsunami thousands of years ago in mud flats in southern Spain.

"This is the power of tsunamis," head researcher Richard Freund told Reuters.

"It is just so hard to understand that it can wipe out 60 miles inland, and that's pretty much what we're talking about," said Freund, a University of Hartford, Connecticut, professor who lead an international team searching for the true site of Atlantis.

To solve the age-old mystery, the team used a satellite photo of a suspected submerged city to find the site just north of Cadiz, Spain. There, buried in the vast marshlands of the Dona Ana Park, they believe that they pinpointed the ancient, multi-ringed dominion known as Atlantis.

The team of archeologists and geologists in 2009 and 2010 used a combination of deep-ground radar, digital mapping, and underwater technology to survey the site.

Freund's discovery in central Spain of a strange series of "memorial cities," built in Atlantis' image by its refugees after the city's likely destruction by a tsunami, gave researchers added proof and confidence, he said.

Atlantis residents who did not perish in the tsunami fled inland and built new cities there, he added.

The team's findings will be unveiled on Sunday in "Finding Atlantis," a new National Geographic Channel special.

While it is hard to know with certainty that the site in Spain in Atlantis, Freund said the "twist" of finding the memorial cities makes him confident Atlantis was buried in the mud flats on Spain's southern coast.

"We found something that no one else has ever seen before, which gives it a layer of credibility, especially for archeology, that makes a lot more sense," Freund said.

Greek philosopher Plato wrote about Atlantis some 2,600 years ago, describing it as "an island situated in front of the straits which are by you called the Pillars of Hercules," as the Straits of Gibraltar were known in antiquity. Using Plato's detailed account of Atlantis as a map, searches have focused on the Mediterranean and Atlantic as the best possible sites for the city.

Tsunamis in the region have been documented for centuries, Freund says. One of the largest was a reported 10-story tidal wave that slammed Lisbon in November, 1755.

Debate about whether Atlantis truly existed has lasted for thousands of years. Plato's "dialogues" from around 360 B.C. are the only known historical sources of information about the iconic city. Plato said the island he called Atlantis "in a single day and night... disappeared into the depths of the sea."

Experts plan further excavations are planned at the site where they believe Atlantis is located and at the mysterious "cities" in central Spain 150 miles away to more closely study geological formations and to date artifacts.
NEWS: Lost City of Atlantis...Found? Atlantistcapitol

http://www.suite101.com/content/lost-city-of-atlantis-might-be-found-a358921

It would be awesome to think Atlantis really did exist. In mythological history, the Atlanteans where supposed to be the most advanced civilization of the era they existed in. Hundreds, and some would say, thousands of years more advanced than the other civilizations of the time. I don't believe they were that advanced, but to be told in legend and for the city to be remembered even to this day, means that if the city really did exist, it must have been something special. I'd really like to see what they find there.
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : Reyes1

https://www.youtube.com/user/L0rdRemington?feature=mhw5

Back to top Go down

NEWS: Lost City of Atlantis...Found? Empty Re: NEWS: Lost City of Atlantis...Found?

Post by Trick Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:38 am

I believe that it's in the Black Sea, and it was flooded by the Bosphorous Flood around 8000 years ago (6000y BCE), which coincides with the dates Plato and others relate Atlantis to.

Also, I can tell you right now that Robert Ballard is trying to get access from the Bulgarian Government to carry out investigations in the Western part of the Black Sea.

Trick
Trick
EuroSpore 1992
EuroSpore 1992

Male
Spore Name : bobmarleyrulz

Back to top Go down

NEWS: Lost City of Atlantis...Found? Empty Re: NEWS: Lost City of Atlantis...Found?

Post by SuperLoki Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:43 am

Not sure if I'm going to believe it just yet, but if anything is discovered there, that'll be pretty fascinating.
SuperLoki
SuperLoki
EuroSpore 1997
EuroSpore 1997

Female
Spore Name : Rebecca1208

Back to top Go down

Post by sjhorm Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:46 am

I always envisioned Atlantis as a water-themed city, sort of like this:
NEWS: Lost City of Atlantis...Found? Lakebed-temple-2
I feel like a nerd saying that, but that's always how I imagined it.
If it actually exists, that would be pretty awesome.
sjhorm
sjhorm
EuroSpore 1975
EuroSpore 1975

Male
Spore Name : sjhorm

Back to top Go down

Post by Trick Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:08 am

Also, can I just say that any underwater metropolis can be interpreted or shown as "Atlantis", as no one can prove if it is Atlantis or not.
Trick
Trick
EuroSpore 1992
EuroSpore 1992

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:09 am

The stories of Atlantis imply it is in South America, however, the archaeological evidence points to it being Santorini - which erupted over 3,500 years ago. This eruption has been suggested as the root of THREE major mysteries in history.

1) The Lost city of Atlantis is thought to have been on the slopes of Thera (the name given to the Volcano itself). This is accepted by many historians and scientists, though still highly disputed.

2) The resulting Tsunami is thought to have caused the end of the Minoan civilisation on Crete - there is Geological evidence of a Tsunami around 3,500 years ago on the Cretan Northern shore. This is pretty much accepted by historians and geologists alike, however, a few details are unclear.

3) Most bizarrely, the parting of the Red Sea which allowed the Israelites to flee Egypt. The theory being that as Thera exploded, a massive hole was left, which was filled by sea water, because there were billions of gallons of water rushing away from North Africa to fill this hole, the passage in Egypt was available. Of course, this theory depends on a Biblical mistranslation of Red Sea to actually mean Reed Sea (a coastal lake in Northern Egypt). This is just a fledgling idea, with few takers.

I personally would love to think all three are true. I personally doubt Spain as the site of Atlantis.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male
Spore Name : Vektrix / SporeMasterVek

http://www.eurospore.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:20 am

Trickatel wrote:Also, can I just say that any underwater metropolis can be interpreted or shown as "Atlantis", as no one can prove if it is Atlantis or not.

Hence why I said, it "would be awesome if they found it" not "it is awesome that they found it" Razz.

And indeed correct. The same problem they have with proving "Troy" they have here. Unless there is a giant marble sign sitting somewhere in the city that says "Welcome to Atlantis", they will have a very hard time proving it is the actual place. And ofcourse, you have to believe Atlantis existed in the first place, which really there is no proof that it ever did exist. Much like Troy or Punt
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Trick Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:24 am

Yeah, I was referring to their statement Razz
Trick
Trick
EuroSpore 1992
EuroSpore 1992

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by sjhorm Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:35 am

LordRemington wrote:Unless there is a giant marble sign sitting somewhere in the city that says "Welcome to Atlantis", they will have a very hard time proving it is the actual place.

Wow, look what I found! :0
NEWS: Lost City of Atlantis...Found? Atlantisness
sjhorm
sjhorm
EuroSpore 1975
EuroSpore 1975

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:38 am

sjhorm wrote:
LordRemington wrote:Unless there is a giant marble sign sitting somewhere in the city that says "Welcome to Atlantis", they will have a very hard time proving it is the actual place.

Wow, look what I found! :0

IWantItPlz Then Atlantis's existence has been proven ILoveItPlz

I also like the fact its fabulous, as I imagined it be be so.
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:39 am

Pictures or it didn't ha.... WAH?!? *feints*
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male
Spore Name : Vektrix / SporeMasterVek

http://www.eurospore.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Trick Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:49 am

Viva Las Atlantis?
Trick
Trick
EuroSpore 1992
EuroSpore 1992

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Descardion Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:56 am

Can't wait to see what turns up.
Descardion
Descardion
Regular
Regular

Male
Spore Name : Impious_Iron
Location : "'Welcome to my parlor' said the Spider to the Fly..."

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:29 pm

sjhorm wrote:Wow, look what I found! :0
It's Fallout: Atlantis
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateZob Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:24 am

What, no fish-people?IDislikeItPlz

What a rip-off.
UltimateZob
UltimateZob
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : UltimateZob

http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/UltimateZob

Back to top Go down

Post by Trick Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:16 am

Also, guess who's father is going on an expedition with Robert Ballard in the Black Sea?

Very Happy
Trick
Trick
EuroSpore 1992
EuroSpore 1992

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Goober09 Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:00 pm

sjhorm wrote:I always envisioned Atlantis as a water-themed city, sort of like this:
NEWS: Lost City of Atlantis...Found? Lakebed-temple-2
I feel like a nerd saying that, but that's always how I imagined it.
If it actually exists, that would be pretty awesome.

I wander where that picture was taken (thinks of a certain awesome Wii game). awesome

In a more on-topic statement, if Atlantis did exist, I don't think they would be too advanced (thinks of hovercraft in 1000 B.C. Razz ).

Goober09

Male
Spore Name : Goober09

http://intergalactic-forum.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by sjhorm Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:19 pm

(is also thinking of an awesome Wii game) awesome

Whenever our history teacher described Atlantis, I thought of the same thing. XD
A bunch of people sitting around underwater on computers.
Playing Angry Birds on their AtlantiPhones. Razz
sjhorm
sjhorm
EuroSpore 1975
EuroSpore 1975

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:04 am

Goober09 wrote:
In a more on-topic statement, if Atlantis did exist, I don't think they would be too advanced (thinks of hovercraft in 1000 B.C. Razz ).

Well one of the many theories about the Atlanteans was that they were infact super advanced. Some think they were more advanced than we are currently. Some say they were actually aliens that stayed on this planet.

My major problem with these theories, is that if they were so advanced, possibly alien level advanced, how could they not have been prepared for a tsunami?
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Trick Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:16 am

I don't know what technology can prevent tetonic plates from shifting.

Also, it may have been an advanced city FOR IT'S TIME. Kinda like Tokyo (Yes, I know about the tsunami, but it remains a technological superiority).
Trick
Trick
EuroSpore 1992
EuroSpore 1992

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:11 pm

Trickatel wrote:I don't know what technology can prevent tetonic plates from shifting.

I didn't mean they would have been able to prevent it, I'm saying if they were so advanced, they would have had some sort of safety measures in place or advanced detection systems like most modern tsunami prone places.

but again only the conspiracy theorists believe that kind of stuff. I like you said believe at most the were a bit a head of the curb for the time that they lived in, but i don't think they were alien level advanced. Thats is of course if they existed at all.
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down