EuroSpore
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEWS: Osama Bin Laden is dead

+12
TyrannoFan
OneDeadSlime
sjhorm
LordRemington
Didzo
Aletrius
Vektrix
Trick
Arkanay
Andeavor
Illusionary
world_piece
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

NEWS: Osama Bin Laden is dead Empty NEWS: Osama Bin Laden is dead

Post by world_piece Mon May 02, 2011 2:50 pm

Osama bin Laden – the iconic al-Qaeda leader who inspired a global jihad against the United States – was killed by U.S. Special Forces in a fierce firefight in a mountainous area of Pakistan. His body was recovered and his identity confirmed, President Barack Obama revealed in a rare, late-night broadcast from the White House just before midnight.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/americas/osama-bin-laden-dead-us-president-obama-says/article2006299/
world_piece
world_piece
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Spore Name : world_piece

Back to top Go down

NEWS: Osama Bin Laden is dead Empty Re: NEWS: Osama Bin Laden is dead

Post by Illusionary Mon May 02, 2011 4:40 pm

America's not exactly the best nation in the world, although you have to say that this is a pretty big achievement. Not just for America, but the whole world. There are just some people who really deserve to die, and Osama was one of them.
Illusionary
Illusionary
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Male
Spore Name : ghostofillusion

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Mon May 02, 2011 5:29 pm

Wow, after nine years they finally got him. Well done!
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay Mon May 02, 2011 6:14 pm

Shocked

I've never expected this to happen. I just assumed he would have simply vanished for ever.
Arkanay
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male
Spore Name : Arkanay

Back to top Go down

Post by Trick Mon May 02, 2011 6:52 pm

Wow, I never expected Osama to get "brought to justice", well done on the American special forces.
Trick
Trick
EuroSpore 1992
EuroSpore 1992

Male
Spore Name : bobmarleyrulz

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Mon May 02, 2011 6:59 pm

Ok, different aspects of m have the following reaction to this.

Synic: Your just claiming this so that closure can be found - he is still at large, and you have finally admitted defeat.

Realist: He died years ago, and you have either finally found proof of this - let's hope the proof is more genuine than the reasons for entering Iraq.

Normal Human: YAY - at last.

I am afraid I am more Synic and Realist than Normal Human to this one. Partly because I was of the school of thought that he was dead already.

Besides, Bin Laden was/is the face of Al-Qaeda, how do we not know he is really a white guy from Montana? The BBC says he gave the go-ahead for 9/11 - I seriously doubt he was solely responsible for this. If they have killed Osama, then they have killed the "Face" and not the power and planning. Saddam had a ton of dopplegangers, how do we know this was not a doppleganger? It's not like w have his DNA on record is it? All we have is video footage and grainy images to go by.

Last edited by Vektrix on Mon May 02, 2011 7:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male
Spore Name : Vektrix / SporeMasterVek

http://www.eurospore.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Aletrius Mon May 02, 2011 7:06 pm

Why would they bother lying about this? I believe them when they say that they killed him.

Perhaps, thinking like the intelligence services, that claim that Osama was already dead was simply to let him lower his guard, and to prevent him from moving?

The Pakistan Government has also cofirmed that the operation took place and Bin Laden was killed in the process.

Although it did take them 9 (nearly 10) years to catch up with him. Glad they finally did, though.

And it's 'Cynic', Vek. Wink
Aletrius
Aletrius
EuroSpore 1992
EuroSpore 1992

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Mon May 02, 2011 7:20 pm

Lies are much cheaper than the truth.

Besides, as I explain, I believe he died a while ago, and his so called actual death is going to change little anyway. If they h about the war on teroor in particularave found proof he died a while ago, claiming they killed him will cause more attacks. However, if the Govt. admit they did not kill him and he was already dead, then the American people would be highly disappointed.

However, mainly I say "Cry Wolf", we have been fed so many lies by politicians about everything from foreign policy to economics that I now take the default view that thy lie about everything. I have always been uber cynical about the so-called War on Terror in particular. With lies about Iraq, and I have never understood why Iraq became an issue again anyway... Seemed like a false cover for their failure to get Osama - Saddam did not launch an attack against the West which killed thousands. There was no fresh stories about his atrocities at the time - so what was it about?

No, to me the War on Terror has been badly handled in terms of public relations and I would not put anything past those in power to try and get an upper hand in an unwinnable war.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Aletrius Mon May 02, 2011 7:28 pm

But surely the admission by Pakistan that the operation took place and the Osama was killed just 800 yards from their top military academy where hundreds of soldiers are based is a massive embarassment? The very fact that they confirmed it happened in what are, for Pakistan, embarassing circumstances, to me very strongly lends credance to the fact that they have killed him.

Of course, the risk now emerges of him appearing as a martyr, but in reality there were few other ways of getting rid of him.
Aletrius
Aletrius
EuroSpore 1992
EuroSpore 1992

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Didzo Mon May 02, 2011 7:36 pm

Vektrix wrote: It's not like w have his DNA on record is it?

They actually confirmed his identity via DNA. Unless if you have a tinfoil hat on, which I do not think is necessary in this instance.

And it's not like people suddenly found out that he existed on 9/11 --- the US has had opportunities to take him out long before 9/11 happened.

But we don't like to think about that.

Didzo
Didzo
EuroSpore 1948
EuroSpore 1948

Back to top Go down

Post by Aletrius Mon May 02, 2011 7:38 pm

He's been around since the 80s. Of course, America funded him back then.
Aletrius
Aletrius
EuroSpore 1992
EuroSpore 1992

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LordRemington Mon May 02, 2011 7:43 pm

I heard about this at university. To me though its a bitter sweet victory.

Yes it is a good thing that a monster came to justice for the crimes he committed (even though he was basically irrelevant as I think people barely remembered he existed. And it would have been more satisfactory for him to have stood before trial, then just killed, but chances are execution awaited him), but I sense the only thing that will come from his death is retaliation.

I don't see Al Qaeda taking this defeat lightly. I think they will retaliate not only to avenge one of there most respected and revered member's death, but also I don't think Al Qaeda would be too happy letting the western countries think they have beaten them. All America has done is created a martyr for Al Qaeda's cause.

At the end of the day, Al Qaeda is still here. His death doesn't not mean the death of Al Qaeda. I fear this is some ways this will only strengthen their resolve and hatred of the Western countries.

Edit: Also, its hard to really call it a victory. 10 years, hundreds of billion of dollars spent on the war there and the sacrifice of thousands of troops lives. Doesn't seem like much of a victory.

Last edited by LordRemington on Mon May 02, 2011 11:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
LordRemington
LordRemington
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : Reyes1

https://www.youtube.com/user/L0rdRemington?feature=mhw5

Back to top Go down

Post by sjhorm Mon May 02, 2011 9:39 pm

I'm glad he's gone. He was an evil human being.
But this is just kicking the hornet's nest. Now Al Qaeda is ticked off.
sjhorm
sjhorm
EuroSpore 1975
EuroSpore 1975

Male
Spore Name : sjhorm

Back to top Go down

Post by OneDeadSlime Mon May 02, 2011 10:17 pm

I'm glad he's gone. He was an evil human being.

I'm not sure I agree with this reasoning.

Wow, I never expected Osama to get "brought to justice", well done on the American special forces.

He wasn't. No trial was made.
OneDeadSlime
OneDeadSlime
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : warmslime / SporeMasterSlime

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay Mon May 02, 2011 11:22 pm

So, if you guys don't mind some speculation, how do you think it happened?

He got caught up in a crossfire?
They stormed in, he tried to fight back and got shot?
He was detained and then shot by one of the soldiers?

Although this information can be found in the website world provided: "Osama bin Laden was killed by U.S. Special Forces in a fierce firefight in Pakistan"

I wonder what will happen now, if Al Qaeda will do something about it. Hopefully not, but I have my doubts. Hmm...
Arkanay
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male
Spore Name : Arkanay

Back to top Go down

Post by Trick Mon May 02, 2011 11:34 pm

After putting up resistance when captured, he was shot in the head.

Al Qaeda will either die down completely, or become even more of a terrorist thread (somewhat morelikely in terms of short term consequences).

History in the making.
Trick
Trick
EuroSpore 1992
EuroSpore 1992

Male
Spore Name : bobmarleyrulz

Back to top Go down

Post by TyrannoFan Mon May 02, 2011 11:39 pm

Finally, after 10 years, they get him.

Though I dunno, I think this will cause terrorist organizations to try to get 'revenge', but maybe they'll be too discouraged to do so.

But yes, this is good news. Very good news.
TyrannoFan
TyrannoFan
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Male
Spore Name : Creaturepre

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Tue May 03, 2011 12:16 am

I first heard of him in 1993 for the World Trade center Bombings.

Whether he is dead or not, I don't think it is going to change much, if anything. You kill one bad guy, another takes their place. Sometimes several take their place.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Descardion Tue May 03, 2011 12:34 am

It sounds like some folks here are trying to find another excuse to belittle America. Remember, the U.S. wasn't the only one to suffer as a result of his violence. Remember the train bombings? Of course you do.

I don't see how anyone could question this. This man was psychotically violent and killed thousands upon thousands of innocent people. Finally, justice is served. The forces that attacked him TRIED to capture him alive, mind you, and only killed him when he tried to fight back. They tested his blood and found it was a match, and one of his older sons was also killed. I'd think that one of Osama's own sons would know who he was camping out with. Only conspiracy theorists and enemies of the U.S. upset that he didn't get away with it would try and disprove this. The U.S. government loves to lie, but there's a line not even they will cross. I have to believe there's at least some shred of integrity left in the world.

And what's more, the U.S. disposed of the body according to Islamic laws and tradition. The body wasn't tampered with, and was buried at sea within a day. This is a message: Our war isn't with Islam. We have what we came for. Justice is served. No matter how long it takes, or how many lives are lost in the process... If you take innocent lives without ever considering the consequences, you simply aren't part of the program and you will get what you deserve. Not just the U.S.' lives- Everyone around the world that has suffered because of Al Qaida.

And as for America's celebration over one man's death... Barbaric? Maybe. But is it more barbaric than the Middle East's celebration of 9/11? I didn't think so.

The score's settled, we got what we came for. I hope my country makes the right choice in the years to come.
Descardion
Descardion
Regular
Regular

Male
Spore Name : Impious_Iron
Location : "'Welcome to my parlor' said the Spider to the Fly..."

Back to top Go down

Post by TyrannoFan Tue May 03, 2011 12:40 am

Vektrix wrote:I first heard of him in 1993 for the World Trade center Bombings.

I think you mean 2003...
TyrannoFan
TyrannoFan
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Descardion Tue May 03, 2011 12:41 am

TyrannoFan wrote:
Vektrix wrote:I first heard of him in 1993 for the World Trade center Bombings.

I think you mean 2003...
Attempts were made before 9/11. They tried to bomb the foundation.
Descardion
Descardion
Regular
Regular

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by TyrannoFan Tue May 03, 2011 12:43 am

Oh, they did? Didn't know they tried before.
TyrannoFan
TyrannoFan
EuroSpore 1957
EuroSpore 1957

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Tue May 03, 2011 12:48 am

No, I am belittling all politics.

I seriously believe Osama Bin Laden died years ago, probably around 2003.

Train Bombings? In Spain? That was ETA, they are a Spanish Separatist group. I am not aware of other Train Bombings. But you are right, other countries were effected. There were the July Bombings in London in 2007, there was the Mali Bombings in 2003 (?). There was Richard Reed, the Shoe Bomber (Ok, the target was America). The Yemeni printer Bomb (again America). There were shootings in India and Thailand as well that are linked with Al Qaeda. And, of course, 9/11 also effected the entire world economically, and a lot of people died from a lot of countries - including Muslims.

All I'm saying is that whoever the forces killed, whether he be the real Bin Laden or not, will rightly cause a modicum of celebration, but Bin laden is not solely responsible, he had the help of others around him. Someone will take his place - it is just a major blow to Al Qaeda, yes, but not a terminal one.

@Tyranno: How can you bomb a building that does not exist? scratch A group planted a bomb outside the World Trade Center in 26 February 1993. They tried to "tilt" one of the towers so that it crashed into the other using a Truck Bomb. Six People were killed. In 2001 AFTER 9/11 however, the CIA Director implied it was Iraqi Intelligence behind that attack.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Aletrius Tue May 03, 2011 12:55 am

Perfectly put, Desc. I think it is pretty much certain that Osama was killed in this attack - and I see no evidence to the contrary.

In regards to how he died, I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to run and got shot in the back, to be honest. Many of these kinds of people are ultimately cowards when it comes to them personally.

Haven't seen Gaddaffi since the raid. Maybe he's dead?

Last edited by Thomas1134 on Tue May 03, 2011 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Aletrius
Aletrius
EuroSpore 1992
EuroSpore 1992

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Descardion Tue May 03, 2011 12:58 am

Ah crap I tried to type a response. Ah well, it was more or less a reiteration of what I just said. I don't know why anyone- even corrupt politicians- would lie about something like this. They've never lied about the Al Qaida operatives they've killed thus far. Sometimes the results are skewed, of course, like when civilians are caught in the crossfire, but when someone dies, it's pretty much official.

Don't know about Gadaffi. He's probably playing it smart and holing up somewhere. If he was ever open to attack, he would have died by now.

And by the way, Thomas. Osama actually died a bit like Scarface, if I've heard correctly. He tried to get loose and get at an AK-47, but was shot in the head before he could fire a shot. Not all that cowardly, so at least the monster went out like a man.
Descardion
Descardion
Regular
Regular

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down