EuroSpore
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEWS: Over 70 dead after bomb and gun attack in Norway

+5
bmpalmann
Icedmask
Vektrix
OneDeadSlime
Andeavor
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

NEWS: Over 70 dead after bomb and gun attack in Norway Empty NEWS: Over 70 dead after bomb and gun attack in Norway

Post by Andeavor Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:55 am

The blast is thought to have caused damage to the offices of Norwegian Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg and a number of other official buildings.

Initial reports suggested Mr Stoltenberg was unharmed.

At least eight people were injured in the city centre explosion, local media reports. No-one has said they were behind the attack.

Television footage from the scene showed rubble and glass from shattered windows in the streets - smoke was around some buildings. The wreckage of at least one car was in street.

All roads into the city centre have been closed, said the NRK newspaper.

Oistein Mjarum, head of communications for the Norwegian Red Cross, said his offices were close to the blast.

"There was a massive explosion which could be heard over the capital Oslo."

Mr Mjarum said there were fires burning in the 17-storey prime minister's building.

Eyewitness Ole Tommy Pedersen said he was standing at a bus stop about 100m away from the blast.

"I saw three or four injured people being carried out of the building a few minutes later," Mr Pedersen told AP.

He said there was a cloud of smoke billowing from the lower floors.

An NRK journalist, Ingunn Andersen, said the headquarters of tabloid newspaper VG had also been damaged.

"I see that some windows of the VG building and the government headquarters have been broken. Some people covered with blood are lying in the street," Associated Press news agency quoted him as saying.

"It's complete chaos here. The windows are blown out in all the buildings close by."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14252515

At least 85 people died when a gunman opened fire at the Utoeya camp on Friday, hours after a blast in the government quarter killed seven. Another four are missing on the island.

A 32-year-old Norwegian man was charged over both attacks, but police say it is possible another person was involved.

The suspect surrendered when approached by police officers, they said.

Police chief Sveinung Sponheim said they took 45 minutes to reach the island, and the gunman was apprehended 45 minutes after that.

Mr Sponheim added that there were still bodies or body parts in buildings damaged by the Oslo blast, which he confirmed was caused by a car bomb.

However, the buildings were currently too fragile and dangerous to search, and there were still undetonated explosives there, the police chief said.

It was possible the total death toll from the two attacks could rise to 98, he said.

Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg comforted victims and relatives alongside King Harald, Queen Sonja and Crown Prince Haakon in the town of Sundvollen near the island.

Mr Stoltenberg said he was "deeply touched" by the meetings.

"We will do whatever we can to give them as much support as possible," he said.

Thousands of people have come to the perimeter of the government quarter in downtown Oslo where the bomb went off on Friday. They have come to have a look at the destruction, lay flowers and many are just standing in silence. Churches across the city and the entire country have opened their doors and many are packed.

The area is still cordoned off and the army is manning many checkpoints - a sight never seen before in this normally peaceful city.

The downtown square which is overlooked by the now ruined building housing the PM's office would normally be crowded with people enjoying a drink and the sunshine - instead it is blocked off and the only people here are soldiers, police and those clearing the broken glass and rubble. It will be some time before this city gets back to some sort of normality.

King Harald said: "It's now important that we stand together and we support each other and we do not let fear conquer us."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14262956

Last edited by Andeavor on Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:31 am; edited 4 times in total
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male
Spore Name : Andeavor

Back to top Go down

NEWS: Over 70 dead after bomb and gun attack in Norway Empty Re: NEWS: Over 70 dead after bomb and gun attack in Norway

Post by OneDeadSlime Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:13 am

Ehm... wow.
OneDeadSlime
OneDeadSlime
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : warmslime / SporeMasterSlime

Back to top Go down

NEWS: Over 70 dead after bomb and gun attack in Norway Empty Re: NEWS: Over 70 dead after bomb and gun attack in Norway

Post by Vektrix Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:59 am

Erm... why?

Just saw a tweet about how 20 people were shot at a youth camp - linked to this apparently.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male
Spore Name : Vektrix / SporeMasterVek

http://www.eurospore.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:51 am

Vektrix wrote:Erm... why?

Just saw a tweet about how 20 people were shot at a youth camp - linked to this apparently.
I was just about to say...

The world is going mad, really. Sad
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by OneDeadSlime Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:35 am

Andeavor wrote:
Vektrix wrote:Erm... why?

I was just about to say...

The world is going mad, really. Sad

The world isn't "going mad"... it's called international media.
OneDeadSlime
OneDeadSlime
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Icedmask Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:12 am

This is a sad day, really, really sad. Attacking youths on a summer-camp is just out of this world.

Just arriving at Oslo Airport when armed police met me, they where apparently closing the airport. I got home after driving one and a half hour in bus, what a mess!

My brother was just driving by when it exploded, he thought it was construction work that was going on, but suddenly all the ambulances started to appear. Personally, I Don't know anyone that was hurt or killed though, glad I was far away when it happened.
Icedmask
Icedmask
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male
Spore Name : Icedmask

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:18 am

They suspect it is a "Domestic" terror attack, Iroh, or at last that is what our press is reporting. Barack Obama has sent his condolences though, not sure about other world leaders, but I imagine most are thinking of Norway.

Your brother seems to be lucky, the pictures look devastating, but glad you seem uneffected.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Icedmask Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:54 am

They have already taken one guy, he was an ethical Norwegian citizen. Tall, blond hair, Caucasian, blue eyes....

It is possible that they have been hunting terrorists in the wrong environment for the last ten years. It's been a lot of focus on the extreme-Islamic environments and not other extreme environments.

I believe this was an Domestic attack as well.
Icedmask
Icedmask
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:44 am

The Oklahoma City Attack in 1996 was a Domestic attack - they did however focus on Al Qaeda for that one too. It seems to me that Al Qaeda is automatically blamed unless the attack is in Spain or Northern Ireland.

I would like to know what the motive was though. Was he mentally ill, did he have a political gripe, had he been badly treated by someone, is he a loner or part of a wider Norwegian issue? All these questions and no answers.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:46 am

I think it may have been a left/right issue. I'm just going by fragments of information I remember from rifling through some pages but wasn't it a political camp led by young members of the current majority party of Norway?
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:39 am

Andeavor wrote:I think it may have been a left/right issue. I'm just going by fragments of information I remember from rifling through some pages but wasn't it a political camp led by young members of the current majority party of Norway?

Indeed.

However, it was a gathering of people, it could possibly be just as likely to be a knitting circle being targeted. However, I believe there was political motivation, as opposed to a Columbine/Dunblane style attack in regards to the shooting - afterall, neither of those attacks involved any bombings beforehand.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Icedmask Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:32 am

Andeavor wrote:I think it may have been a left/right issue. I'm just going by fragments of information I remember from rifling through some pages but wasn't it a political camp led by young members of the current majority party of Norway?

The camp was for young members of the labor-party, the current government in Norway. Mostly teenagers living in tents for a week, and discussing politics. The suspect called himself a nationalist, and is by Norwegian newspapers described as an anti-Islamic, and conservative.

Norway's political landscape is not very divided, it's not far from the left to right side. This guy is a loner and lunatic that have developed a hate against the multi-cultural society that most European countries have become in the last years. The current government is build up of the labor-party and social-democrats. It's definitely a target for any ultra-conservative racist and madman.

This is terror preformed by an right extremist against more immigration-friendly left-orientated politicians. Those who are dead are mostly ethnically Norwegians like himself. Why does it even seem more meaningless now?
Icedmask
Icedmask
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bmpalmann Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:36 am

Terrorists with racial prejudices often tend to fail in hitting the people they want to hit and whichever way it goes the innocent will always end up as the victims of hate no matter who they are and where they come from, it ends up being the same all round the world. Stories like this are just plain sad...
bmpalmann
bmpalmann
Euro Moderator
Euro Moderator

Male
Spore Name : bmpalmann/ Remyxomatosis

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:16 pm

bmpalmann wrote:Terrorists with racial prejudices often tend to fail in hitting the people they want to hit and whichever way it goes the innocent will always end up as the victims of hate no matter who they are and where they come from, it ends up being the same all round the world. Stories like this are just plain sad...

The 7/7 Bombings in London spring to mind here, Ben. Of the 56 who were killed, 4 were the bombers and at least 4 other victims themselves were Muslims. Targeting the innocent in any attack is likely to illicit exactly the opposite reaction to what the terrorists hope for.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14259356

80?

I genuinely saw that number and fell off my couch. That is just a staggering number.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Icedmask Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:26 pm

It's definitely a black day here in Norway. Yesterday it was confusion and fear, today it's sadness. What I believe is particularly sad about this attack is that so many young, bright, political active people became victims.

A total of 91 persons have been confirmed dead, 84 at the island-camp.
Icedmask
Icedmask
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:20 am

Eek, just checked the BBC website, they say 85 at Utoya Surprised

I don't mean to belittle this whole event, but I am shocked the Oslo bomb only killed 7 - whereas the gunning killed at least 85. I have the same shock about every shooting actually. If you consider the time, and number of potential victims, both Dunblane (17) and Columbine (13) have shockingly low death counts all things considered. It defies understanding if the perpetrators REALLY wanted to murder as many as possible.

I am guessing the same is true of the Utoya Massacre - he may have killed 85 (at least), but I am guessing he had spare bullets, and judging by the number of survivors, still had enough victims. It just highlights how lucky these people are who survived.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Icedmask Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:58 am

Yesterdays attack was "the most deadly in the history by one person" if he acted alone, which many newspapers and people here in Norway are starting to speculate about, really put things in a perspective...

I spoke to a friend of mine, which is a young, promising local politician and classmate, he apparently knew several of the victims fairly well, despite being a member of the most conservative party in Norway. I also have several friends in common with other victims apparently.

Norway is a small country, just over 5 million inhabitants, almost everyone is affected by this. This attack is actually bigger then 9/11 if you take the number of causalities compared to the number of inhabitants.
Icedmask
Icedmask
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:08 am

Iroh wrote:Yesterdays attack was "the most deadly in the history by one person" if he acted alone, which many newspapers and people here in Norway are starting to speculate about, really put things in a perspective...

Wowsers, that is something to really think about. I am struggling in my own to decide whether acting alone or not is a better or worse strategy in a case like this.

I spoke to a friend of mine, which is a young, promising local politician and classmate, he apparently knew several of the victims fairly well, despite being a member of the most conservative party in Norway. I also have several friends in common with other victims apparently.

Well, as you pointed out, Norway is a comparatively small country (population wise). At least no-one really close to you has been killed or hyurt, which, for you at least, is a small crumb of comfort.

Norway is a small country, just over 5 million inhabitants, almost everyone is affected by this. This attack is actually bigger then 9/11 if you take the number of causalities compared to the number of inhabitants.

Again, not meaning to demean or anything, but 9/11 (and 7/7 for that matter) are slightly different in that the victims are of multiple nationalities. However, for some reason I feel more for the victims of this attack than I do for the 9/11, 7/7 and other Al-Qaeda atrocities (Like Madrid 2004).

Like I posted on Twitter earlier, I just don't understand what terrorists hope to achieve, since they consistently achieve exactly the opposite of what they set out to do.
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkanay Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:15 am

It's a shame that things of this nature come to happen. Some people are just fully committed extremists who are willing to do whatever it takes to show their point. But it usually ends up backfiring and they are merely labeled as enemies of the world (or most of it). Not to mention it's unfair for the people whose lives are claimed in these terrorist acts. It can happen to anyone who happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Last edited by Arkanay on Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Arkanay
Arkanay
EuroSpore 2007
EuroSpore 2007

Male
Spore Name : Arkanay

Back to top Go down

Post by Andeavor Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:16 am

I updated the title and added the follow-up story.

------------------

I do agree that this attack is the 9/11 of Norway. However, many people across the globe lost someone during the fall of the twin towers, which marked a change in both US and international politics.

Norway doesn't have the same political influence when dealing with incidents as such but I sure hope they can bring a better solution than the money wasting security measures the US governments has leashed onto the world.
Andeavor
Andeavor
Euro Administrator
Euro Administrator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Icedmask Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:13 am

Andeavor wrote:
I do agree that this attack is the 9/11 of Norway. However, many people across the globe lost someone during the fall of the twin towers, which marked a change in both US and international politics.

True, and what many of us sees as a relief is that this is not international terrorism. Unlike 9/11 there is no enemy hiding some place far away. The main suspect is already in costudy, he has just recently confessed the mass-murder on Utøya and the bomb in the city.

Those who are responsible for this attack have gained nothing. A lot of people far out on the right side (some of my right-handed friends also) say that they are ashamed of being on the same side of the politics as this extremist.
Icedmask
Icedmask
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:58 pm

Anders Behring Breivik, 32, described his actions as "gruesome but necessary", and said he would explain himself at a court hearing on Monday.

I don't care what his "defence" is, it will be inadequate to justify killing one person, let alone 92.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14265094
Vektrix
Vektrix
Euro Leader
Euro Leader

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by OneDeadSlime Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:55 pm

No not really.
OneDeadSlime
OneDeadSlime
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Damnagoras Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:44 pm

This feels so strange. One hears about these kind of things every once in a while on the news, but it always seem to be so far away. It's quite different when it's this close to me - I live not far from the Norwegian border - in a place I've actually visited. A bomb in Oslo sounds so unlikely somehow. Not to talk about the massacre. Just horrible.
Damnagoras
Damnagoras
EuroSpore 1948
EuroSpore 1948

Male
Spore Name : Damnagoras

Back to top Go down

Post by Icedmask Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:28 am

^ Haven't really been a (serious) bomb in Norway since WW2.

NEWS: It was some confusion around the number of causalities. The total number of dead after the Utøya-shooting is now down to 68, with 5 persons still missing. One of the few good news in this tragedy.

The total number (included 8 victims from Oslo) could therefore reach a total 81

Last edited by Iroh on Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Icedmask
Icedmask
EuroSpore 1951
EuroSpore 1951

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next